Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

How supportive is your family?

Started by Andrew, August 18, 2006, 05:30:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How supportive is your family of your transgendered identity?

Everyone I've told (with the exception of the people on this board or the internet) does not support my decision
7 (7.5%)
Only one family member is completely supportive
3 (3.2%)
I have about three family members who support me in my decision--the rest don't like it
8 (8.6%)
Most of my family members have mixed feelings about the whole thing
12 (12.9%)
I haven't told anyone yet!
10 (10.8%)
I've only told one or two people and they're supportive
11 (11.8%)
Everyone in my family completely supports me (lucky bitch!)
21 (22.6%)
My family does not support me, but my friends do
10 (10.8%)
I haven't told my family but I know they wouldn't support me
9 (9.7%)
Everyone I've told (with the exception of the people on this board or the internet) does not support my decision
2 (2.2%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Andrew

How supportive is your family of your transgendered identity? (Whether you've come out, are still in the closet, or have only come out to a few people.)
Lock up yer daughters.
  •  

Dennis

My mum's the only family member I have in Canada and she's totally supportive. Very good with pronouns, name, and 'my son'. It's taken her a little while to get good with the pronouns, but she makes a genuine effort.

I'm a lucky guy.

Dennis
  •  

TheBattler

I need an option that says all family members I have told are supportive. I am yet to tell my dad. My friends are all supportive.

In the end I chose 'Most of my family members have mixed feelings about the whole thing' as my brother still does not now the extent of my feeling and last time on the phone thought it wqas no big deal.

Alice
  •  

Melissa

This is a difficult question as I have 2 familes.  One that completely supports me and one the completely rejects me and you didn't have that choice.  I assume you meant father/mother/siblings for family, so I chose "My family does not support me, but my friends do" as virtually everyone else does.

Melissa
  •  

LynnER

My mom and brother support me 100% my dad is comeing around slowly... my aunts and unkles and cusins are so so not quite here or there, they dont say anything either way, and my grandparrents consider me dead.........  thats the short of it.
  •  

Jillieann Rose

My family says they will always love me but............................
:(
Jillieann
  •  

Ellissa Ray

I've only told one or two people and they're supportive, well actually 3 but this was the closest...my sister is fully supportive, my dad wants me do do what ever I need to do to be happy and will support me in what ever that is, my mom is the one that suprizes me, she supports me, but at the same time I think she doesnt believe, or want to believe that I'm TS, I think she has a problem with the idea of losing her only son as a son, and she doesn't want to see me go through the >-bleeped-< we all have to go through. I think she just needs time to get used to things, she has gotten better since I first let the cat out.

Ellissa
  •  

Casey

I went with "most of my family members have mixed feelings about the whole thing". I've only come out to my parents. They're supportive of my crossdressing but they think that me being TG is just me being deluded about who I am. Oh, they don't totally discount that it could be true. But they seriously doubt that I am.
  •  

Jessica

My wife told me I was possessed by demons, and just recently told me that I'd end up as a whore on the street.

The other people (My Father and Step Mother) that I have told have been very accepting though.

So, some yes, others, not so much.
It's odd though, I don't know why, but I can't help but give a lot of weight to the negative and not so much to the positive reactions.  It's like, well, my parents really love me, they are just trying to be nice that's why they accept me.

Jessica
  •  

Casey

Quote from: Jessica on August 24, 2006, 03:11:34 PM
It's odd though, I don't know why, but I can't help but give a lot of weight to the negative and not so much to the positive reactions.  It's like, well, my parents really love me, they are just trying to be nice that's why they accept me.

I've been there but with myself in general. I found that it was pretty much me projecting my thoughts about myself onto others. When my opinion of myself changed I started paying more attention to positive comments and less to negative ones.
  •  

jaded

i havnt told ant family member yet but i plan  on telling my brother soon
  •  

Luc

My friends have been awesome... I'm out to all of them, and semi-out to people at work, but I know my parents would never accept me. I might tell my brother, but not till he's 18.

Rafe
"If you want to criticize my methods, fine. But you can keep your snide remarks to yourself, and while you're at it, stop criticizing my methods!"

Check out my blog at http://hormonaldivide.blogspot.com
  •  

Mario

Most of my family members have mixed feelings.

I am talking about my ex and our children. My ex is supportive. He always knew about me which is why we never should have been married. (Long story) My oldest daughter who is 15 is taking it very hard. She does not even live at home with the others now. My other 3 kids are more accepting in their own way.

Everyone I have told that has known me for years was not the least suprised, and are all supportive. I wrote them letters before I went off for top surgery.

Then there is my biological family. My birth mother totally accepts me, and my half sister totally accepts me. I did not go to see my birth father while on San Francisco.

My parents are both dead, and my brother has not spoke to me since our mom died.

So overall I think I am lucky.

Marco
  •  

carol_w

My wife is totally against this.  I will probably have to separate and divorce before I can do anything other than the stealth actions I've done so far.   :icon_cry:

That may be the only way that I can figure out whether to transition or not - whether I'm just a crossdresser or a true absolutely need-to-transition TS.

Carol
  •  

grazia

Sad to say, but not hard to believe, I am the only one who has choosed 'everyone I've told does not support my decision'.
:( :( :(
  •  

Cindi Jones

Quote from: Grazia on September 13, 2006, 01:34:32 AM
Sad to say, but not hard to believe, I am the only one who has choosed 'everyone I've told does not support my decision'.
:( :( :(

When my secret came out, not a soul in my family would support me.  My dad said he'd club me if he ever saw me in a skirt and my brother said that he'd break my legs. And they became involved with the people that I worked for.  My church extended their hand of "help".  It was hell.

That was 18 years ago. 

I've since come to some sort of agreemnt with my family.  They have learned that it is pointless to beat a dead dog.  I finally was able to patch up our relationships. They know that I love them.  We now enjoy being with each other.  My sister calls me her sister.  I'm not really sure how my brother feels, he's never said. But I get along fine with him, his wife, and little girl (who has been told).  He used to be the black sheep in the family.  Now I am.

My son talks to me on a regular basis and he tries to keep me a part of his life. My daughter is perfectly civil to me but she never calls me.  I have to call her.  And I do.

It has been a very long journey and it has taken a lot of patience. They discovered long ago that it takes two parties to fight.  And I refuse the invite to do so.  I've just ignored all of the crap and set it aside. They now let me in because I never gave up on them. 

Cindi
Author of Squirrel Cage
  •  

Melissa

Quote from: Cindianna_Jones on September 13, 2006, 03:28:19 AM
...and my brother said that he'd break my legs.
What is it with your brother and his obsession to break legs?

Melissa
  •  

Cindi Jones

Quote from: Melissa on September 13, 2006, 10:51:00 AM
Quote from: Cindianna_Jones on September 13, 2006, 03:28:19 AM
...and my brother said that he'd break my legs.
What is it with your brother and his obsession to break legs?

Melissa

You would have to have known my brother in his younger years.  He was not one to mess with.  We both went to a Jr. High school where the white kids were the minority. I got picked on and beat up all the time.  No one messed with him.  He'd take on a whole group if he had to and he would win.  When he ran for student body president for Jr. High, no one dared vote against him ;)  So he won.

In high school, he started a big "racial fight" in his first year.  Nearly all the boys got into the fray... in total there were over 600 kids fighting.  But the time the police had arrived, my brother had retired from the fight and watched all the arrests from the top of the hill.  It was an event he would recreate every year in high school.

And then there was the time one of his buddies got hurt by a couple of Sundowner bikers.  They were sort of the Hell's Angels in Utah. They were the baddest and the roughest sort you'd ever meet.  He and his four friends went down to their club and took them all on.  Yes, he did break some legs and take out teeth with a bat.   That was his thing.  It made the news.  The Sundowners disbanded shortly after that. They completely lost face because a few teenage brats had beat the snot out of them.

For some reason (probably the woman he married 10 years ago), he has completely changed his life.  He now runs construction projects for a Utah company.  He's one of the smartest, hardest working, and honest men I've ever met.

Cindi
Author of Squirrel Cage
  •  

Melissa

I see.  That makes more sense.  It was just the second time I had seen you post something about your brother breaking legs.

Melissa
  •  

BrandiOK

When I "came" out I discussed it first with my best friend in the world, he was more of a brother to me  (keep in mind he and I were the epitomy of he-men).  He supported me 150%..I know he was troubled on the inside but he never EVER let me see it.  He helped me move to a new city where I could start over and not deal with all my past.  He was killed three weeks later in a car accident.

A couple days after I came out to my best friend I came out to my sisters via IM as they both lived in different cities.  My older sister had and has issues with it but seems to accept it (with the exception of course of ever discussing it or referring to me with any other name than my male name).  Her husband who was also more of a blood brother than a brother in law told me "I don't know what to think of you right now.  While I respect you for taking charge of your life and doing what you think is right I feel like everything we have shared has been based on a lie.  I feel like all that we were was just some game you were playing to keep people from seeing who you really are.  It's all been a lie and I'm not sure I can forgive you for that".This comes right before the ever lessening frequency of Emails or messages which have dwindled down to maybe 1 every year or so.  (effectively I consider her and her family gone)

My younger sister thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread....she absolutely loved it.  She had always been the "black sheep" of our little dysfunctional family and this pleased her to no end.  She has supported me 100% when possible.  I haven't heard from her in a couple years either....financial problems have often meant going without internet access or having a working phone so I guess I can deal with that.

My mother was "relieved" when I told her...she thought I was going to say I had some terminal disease or something.  She was shocked to say the least but promised to do whatever it took for all of us to get through this as a family.  That lasted just as long as it took her to walk out of my front door.  After that there was one or two very short visits to her home before I moved and then nothing.  She refuses to write or call.  No "Happy Birthday" call or cards as had been the norm every year prior to "the talk".  No calls or cards for Christmas as had always been the case.  No more invites to family holiday get togethers.  It's been around 4 years now since I've even heard her voice and at this point I don't think it's long enough......If I never hear from her again it will be too soon.

I had a few friends who accepted me but after my move no one seemed to want to keep in touch so they're gone to as far as I'm concerned.

I have my current best friend in the world right now who I live with.  She's often the only reason why I haven't stepped in front of a bus yet, so I count myself lucky for her (thanks Cindi for making me see that again).

For the most part I don't consider myself as even having a family anymore, not in the sense that I grew up knowing them anyways.
  •