Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Homemade dog food

Started by Mister, July 04, 2009, 02:03:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mister

Does anyone here do it?  I'm getting a dog in the next couple of days and am looking into food options.  I'm torn between the frozen raw foods (primal, mostly) and making my own.
  •  

Lachlann

It doesn't matter nearly as much as people think, but you can pretty much replicate store bought dog food with kibble and gravy.
Don't be scared to fly alone, find a path that is your own
Love will open every door it's in your hands, the world is yours
Don't hold back and always know, all the answers will unfold
What are you waiting for, spread your wings and soar
  •  

Mister

Have you ever read the ingredients on a bag of pedigree or even iams v. something like primal?  Sorry, I don't believe in feeding my animals crappy food.
  •  

Lachlann

And most vets will tell you that they're fine and healthy for your dog to eat.

If you want to feed your dog primal then go for it. It seems you've already got an idea of what you want to do.
  •  

Mister

Quote from: Monty on July 04, 2009, 02:22:43 AM
And most vets will tell you that they're fine and healthy for your dog to eat.

If you want to feed your dog primal then go for it. It seems you've already got an idea of what you want to do.

Yep, which is why I asked if anyone here made their own dog food, not who dumps ol' roy into a bowl.
  •  

Lachlann

Quote from: Mister on July 04, 2009, 02:24:08 AM
Yep, which is why I asked if anyone here made their own dog food, not who dumps ol' roy into a bowl.
For the record, it was advice that was given to me from someone who does prefer to make their own dog food. :P
  •  

Cindy

We used to have two great dogs, sadly passed away.
We were into making our own food for them. We would but kangaroo mince etc from the pet shops and mix with cooked vegies. But after a while it was a heap of work, and the more meat the dogs got the smellier the end product :embarrassed:. So we went into commercial dry food which they took to straight away. We would also buy bones from the butcher to keep the teeth and gums healthy. They seemed as healthy on the dried food as on meat etc. No science just their attitude and general well being. One was a collie (Lassie type) the other a small Heinz 57 terrier.

Cindy
  •  

Mister

Kangaroo?  Not sure I could find that here.  Not sure I'd want to try.

Dog-to-be is only 8.5 lbs, so I figure making food for a week or two and freezing it should be pretty easy. 
  •  

Ellieka

Quote from: Mister on July 04, 2009, 03:49:49 AM
Kangaroo?  Not sure I could find that here.  Not sure I'd want to try.

aww come one I bet you could sneak into the San Francisco zoo at night with a bow...  >:-) >:-)
  •  

Mister

Quote from: Cami on July 04, 2009, 03:53:39 AM
aww come one I bet you could sneak into the San Francisco zoo at night with a bow...  >:-) >:-)

Oakland Zoo's got better cover.  :)
  •  

Ellieka

Deal, I'll distract the guard you go for the meat!
  •  

Cindy

Ah Yes, kanga could be a problem :laugh:

What I was meaning was the raw meat available to you at pet stores. Not sure in SF, Bison? Stock Brokers?:laugh:

Cindy
  •  

Mister

Quote from: Cami on July 04, 2009, 03:57:01 AM
Deal, I'll distract the guard you go for the meat!

Before we go killing bouncy creatures, I'll wait for Amazon to send me my book of canine cuisine.
  •  

Ellieka

rofl! Good Idea, I'm a terrible cook.
  •  

Mister

Quote from: CindyJames on July 04, 2009, 04:02:29 AM
Ah Yes, kanga could be a problem :laugh:

What I was meaning was the raw meat available to you at pet stores. Not sure in SF, Bison? Stock Brokers?:laugh:

Cindy

Hey, there's bison in Golden Gate Park.  Saves me the BART ride for kangaroo hunting.
  •  

Ellieka

What about meat scraps from a slaughter house? I'm actually clueless to tell the truth. last dog I had was a Chiwawa about 17 years ago. fed him table scraps against better advise. I swear that dog would still be alive if he had not got hit by a car.
  •  

Mister

Cami, there's a few books that are all dog-friendly meals.  A buddy of mine makes these balls of hamburger, sweet potato and a few other things.  He's currently fostering dog-to-be and she's loving the fresh food, so I figured I'd try to keep it up. 
  •  

Ellieka

I've actually been thinking about volunteering at our local pet refuge... I may have to look into that.
  •  

Mister

Dog-to-be is from a rescue that takes dogs in on the day they're going to be killed in shelters.  There's a shelter in Bakersfield that only holds owner surrenders for 48 hours before they're put down.
  •  

Ellieka

Aww, ok now your one of my new favorite people.. It makes me so sad when an animal has to be put down. Bless you!  :eusa_clap:
  •