Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

The pendulum shifts

Started by Just Kate, October 14, 2009, 03:49:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just Kate

This little gender adventure I've been on has gone on several years.  From being a super effeminate boy growing up, to developing an alternate "normal" persona during my teen years, to almost killing myself over it, to going to transition, then finding transition only placed me into another box where I didn't fit, to de-transitioning, to developing a "corporate male" persona, only to have my GID resurface this year as a result of it, it has been an interesting ride.

When I was going to detransition, I remember the statements of so many who had "been there before" telling me over and over again, "you'll be back."  I was determined that I wasn't like then, and in fact, over time have proved it.  Transition was not a cure, just a convenient treatment for me, but it did not allow me to be myself.  Detransitioning, I needed to show others that I didn't intend to transition again, so I pushed that gender pendulum back toward the male side - not as much as it was during my teen years, but still a bit too much.  I had success both in my private and professional life.  I was well received at church, at my job, with my friends and even got married.  The pendulum wasn't pushed so far as to make me scream, but there was always a little tension there to keep me from swinging back the other way.

Several times over the years I mentioned to my wife that I felt I still hadn't found my "home" yet, I still hadn't found a place I could be where I could be myself completely.  I would come home weary from work - not weary due to the toils of the job, but weary due to the upkeep required of me to maintain that persona - and tell me wife that I wish I didn't care, I wish my financial stability didn't rely on my being someone I'm not.

Being someone I'm not... man that has been a running theme in my life.

This year has been especially difficult.  First I was out of work for most of it, secondly my mother passed, and thirdly the weight of caring for my father and sister came crashing down upon my shoulders.  It is no wonder my GID hit me the way it did this year - almost everything in my life was thrown into disarray.

I came here and other forums looking for support and friendship.  Due to my unique path, many held me contemptible, but I still found respect, even trust from most.

So I've been doing a lot of thinking.  Transition didn't work for me, but living as I was last year wasn't either.  I'd put them about on par for me as far as how peaceful life was.  I had specific comforts both ways, but definite drawbacks associated with both.  I talked to my wife woefully about the idea of going back to "corporate male" and how while it might make us the money we need, it will leave me a shell of a person and might inflame my GID beyond my control.  I told her I needed to find a middle ground and to stop worrying about the consequences of it so much.

We talked... and talked... and talked.  In the end, we made some decisions together.

I need to find a place where I can be comfortable with myself - all the time.  Not just on a forum, not just with specific friends, etc.  Most of the problems I see with being my normal effeminate self is that I don't "present" that way, so when I start to act like me, or when that part shows through, it throws people off - so much so they often tell me.  In order to be more comfortable being myself, I need to present myself in a way that is conducive to who I am inside.

I am going to move the pendulum back.  I recognize this will cost me the big jobs and possibly other things along the way, but I need to be myself - and all that it entails.  I'm not retransitioning, but it will seem like it, so I'm ready to explain that to others who know.  I need to reach a place physically where I can be completely comfortable with my body.  The steps to do such are as follows:

1) Lose 35 lbs.  When I detransitioned, I intentionally put on about 40 lbs while on T in order to get my fat redistributed.  I'd like to get back down to my transition weight.  This of course will DRAMATICALLY affect my appearance and reveal the rather androgynous individual I am.  Back when I was transitioning but still presenting as male, my body alone got me questions - going back to that should be interesting.

2) Restart hormones.  I had an orchiectomy back when I transitioned.  I haven't regularly taken hormones since I detransitioned when I was on T.  I hate T.  I took it only long enough to regain some lost features but haven't taken anything since then.  My current doctor has been pressuring me to get on a hormone again, either E or T to prevent long term health effects.  I think, due to my hatred of T, I will resume E again, though I don't expect any dramatic changes - most of those already happened.

3) Shave daily/electrolysis.  I've always hated my facial hair.  I hated it even more than the T I took when I detransitioned added more than I had.  I plan to remove it all eventually while at least keeping a smooth face.  Nothing screams at my body dysmorphia more than when I see myself having not shaved for 3-4 days.  I'm pretty sure I'll shave my underarms and legs to - mostly because I hate the hair there, though fortunately it isn't much.

4) Grow my hair out.  I loved having long hair and have had it short for waaaay too long. I remember a few years back when I started growing it out long.  I was with a friend who didn't really know much of my past.  I was putting on a sweater and I flipped my hair out of it while putting it on.  The friend said, "you know, this will sound weird, but you really look like a girl when you did that."  I cut my hair off shortly after that.  I did it because I was afraid that others might see me that way, and I needed to present male.  I'm not worried about that anymore, time to grow it back out.

5) Indulge in previous enjoyments.  Many of my female interests I kept after detransitioning, no longer finding them threatening to my male identity, but some I held back.  Now I won't, no need.  Not because I'm female, but because I don't want to hide anymore.  This includes getting my nails done, facials, and other stuff I couldn't bring myself to do for the past few years.

6) Self identify as androgynous.  I have an androgynous personality.  My wife loves me for it, my friends do to.  There is no need to hide it from everyone else anymore.  Presenting as my androgynous self will most likely open more opportunities for my real personality to shine through.  I will identify as bio-male, but that is as far as the "male" tag goes.  Likewise, I won't identify as female either - I'm not.

7) Update my wardrobe.  Once I've lost the weight, I will update my wardrobe which hasn't been done since I detransitioned.  I never wore very girly stuff and don't intend to now, but I do want to find some items that are androgynous and that show off my figure - stuff that is flattering but that I was too afraid to wear before for fear that I might tip someone off that I used to be a girl.  That fear kept me wearing clothes that absolutely showed none of my figure.  I say no more.

So the pendulum shifts once again.  I hope for the last time as I'm REALLY trying to be 100% honest with myself and project that honesty to others.  I hope it works.  I will keep people informed on my progress - something that can be expected.  Now it is time to sleep!
Ill no longer be defined by my condition. From now on, I'm just, Kate.

http://autumnrain80.blogspot.com
  •  

placeholdername

I'm excited for you... and it seems like a good middle-ground, as well as a healthy outlook on it.
  •  

Cindy

Hi Interalia,

I hope it all goes well my dear. I have always found you to such an honest and understanding person. All I can wish you is my support.

Take Care
Hugs

Cindy
  •  

Nero

QuoteI was with a friend who didn't really know much of my past.  I was putting on a sweater and I flipped my hair out of it while putting it on.  The friend said, "you know, this will sound weird, but you really look like a girl when you did that."

I think it's not just hair length but the action there.  :)

I'm happy for you to have some middle ground as Ketsy said. It sounds like that's where you're most comfortable anyway. Transition put you in a box, and total de-transition seems to swing too much the other way as well.
Good luck and I will be checking back to view your progress.
Nero was the Forum Admin here at Susan's Place for several years up to the time of his death.
  •  

heatherrose

My friend, do what you will, harming no one including yourself.
As always you have my support, "To thine own self be true."
You have nothing you need prove to anyone.

"I have always wanted to have a neighbor just like you,
I've always wanted to live in a neighborhood with you.

So let's make the most of this beautiful day,
Since we're together, we might as well say,
Would you be mine?
Could you be mine?
Won't you be my neighbor?" - Fred Rogers
  •  

Miniar

*hugs* Sounds like you're in the "right" place.
It'll be tough, I'm sure you know, but I have a feeling you'll find happiness.
I'm happy for you.

"Everyone who has ever built anywhere a new heaven first found the power thereto in his own hell" - Nietzsche
  •  

old1

After exploring the country, you have found a place to build a home. 
  •  

Janet_Girl

Sweet, Sweet Interalia.  I love you as only as sister can, but I have read your many posts and always feel that you were trying to prove something to yourself.

And in the spirit of sisterly love, I have to say that, Yes I knew you would be back*.  One can not defeat this disorder.  One has to come to the point to embrace it and then if a place to be comfortable.

I can only give you a major Hug and say you will find the peace you seek.

As Yoda said " Ether do or don't do. There is no try".

Blessed be my Dear friend,

Janet

P.S. that was not a slam towards you.  I just knew you were not happy with yourself.
  •  

stephb

Interalia,

We have traded emails previously about being non-op, and I share your struggles. I hope the course you are taking will bring some relief.

Trying to maintain a male persona while having GID is always a day-by-day thing, and you never know if it will last forever. In spite of my commitment to not transitioning, I realize that my GID will be with me forever, and it may overwhelm me eventually, no matter what my intentions are.

I wish you the best.

Steph
  •  

Just Kate

Well as far as coming "back", this is hardly "back" - I will still be presenting as male, just not masculine.  I won't be changing my name, leading others to believe I'm a genetic female, or planning for surgery like I did during transition.  I'll still be bio-male 100%.

I think the problem has been, I'm TOO feminine when left to my devices, TOO feminine in body shape, etc.  After detransitioning, I didn't want anyone to know that I was transsexual (initially) so I went to great (yet somewhat unnecessary) lengths to hide my feminine shape and personality - but not so far as to take on a pseudo masculine male personality.  This only stressed me out.  I'm just tired of hiding my natural body, my natural personality, and my natural interests.  I'm a feminine male with GID, so if there is any transition going on at all, it is to a feminine male.  I'm hoping this pendulum shift will result in my being the MOST authentic person I can be with others and with myself - what being a normal female and being a normal male couldn't offer me.

Thanks everyone for the comments so far.  I've already lost 7 lbs.  23 more to go! ;)

•  

perfectisolation

interalia,

I'm happy for you, this post made me smile. I'm glad you're finding your way to being true to yourself, I noticed that you did not enjoy forcing yourself into the male box.

I am trying to see what I can do about gender dysphoria myself to find my own comfort zone with gender presentation, hormones etc.... so your journey is an inspiration to me.
  •  

Renate

I'll just add that I don't think most cisgender folks and probably many transgender folks give much conscious thought to how they present themselves.

If you're a jeans and ponytail girl or a dress and makeup girl, that's probably just your style.
To actively have to think about how you present means that it's not natural to you.
That doesn't seem to be getting away from GID.
  •  

Just Kate

Quote from: Renate on October 15, 2009, 08:01:32 AM
I'll just add that I don't think most cisgender folks and probably many transgender folks give much conscious thought to how they present themselves.

If you're a jeans and ponytail girl or a dress and makeup girl, that's probably just your style.
To actively have to think about how you present means that it's not natural to you.
That doesn't seem to be getting away from GID.

I'm not sure what your implication is, if any.

Most people have the think about how they present themselves.  Consider going to an interview, or perhaps a gothic night club, maybe going to a funeral, or a wedding... or just perhaps lounging around the house or going to the convenience store.  Each of these situations has different socially accepted protocol for how one acts/presents oneself.  Most of us choose to follow the social rules for presentation, some choose not to. 

Those who follow the standards are also expected to act according to their current presentation.  Those who do not match those standards are expected to behave differently.  For most people, how we present tells others a lot about who we are or what they can expect.  There are too many examples of this to give an exhaustive list, but it should be pretty obvious that if you see a gothic kid walking down the street, most people don't expect them to by Hannah Montana fans, or if you see a big guy wearing a shirt with a harley davidson logo, most people assume that he likes motorcycles and probably rides them.

Right or wrong, we all make these assumptions, it is just a way we group one another, and most people are more than willing to oblige the system, and present in a way that matches how they wish to be perceived.  It is like a social contract.  When individuals do not follow these socially acceptable patterns, they get different kinds of labels, most of them derogatory.  Why?  If throws people off balance, messes with their expectations.  They feel uncomfortable with you because they no longer have a schema with which to interact with you.  Is it wrong to throw people off?  No, it just has consequences.

When I present as clean cut, all-american Mormon boy, people expect it.  What they get (if I'm not acting out according to my presentation) is anything but clean cut all-american Mormon boy - and it throws people off.  I can see it in their faces; it blows them away.  I could always choose to "Act" as I present, and while that earns me a lot more social respect, it doesn't do me much good and just sends my GID into a tailspin. 

I want to present in such a way as I desire to be perceived - by others, and by myself.  As a MTF transitioning TS, you should be familiar with this.

So I'm changing my appearance - to something that better matches my internal nature - something will tell others more of what they can expect before meeting me - something that will not compel me to want to adapt to match others' expectations of me, but rather be the one to SET those expectations.

If I misread your comment Renate, please correct me.

EDIT: To put a REALLY fine point on it.  I am going to present in an androgynous way, this sets the expectation that my personality is going to be androgynous or at least not standard for my gender.  This means to expect someone who will blur gender lines.  This is exactly what they will get.  My outside presentation will match my inner self.

•  

Shana A

Interalia,

I'm glad to hear that you're finding a gender space that feels comfortable. As one who has also walked a path of transition and retransition to a place in between or outside, I know just how hard that can be. I'm still finding where that place is for myself... and suppose I will be doing that for the rest of my life.

Z
"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

•  

Chloe

Quote from: interaliaI'm not retransitioning, but it will seem like it, so I'm ready to explain that to others who know . . .

Ah Ha interalia! lol It appears my 11 yr daughter's new definition has caught an extra Thumbs Up sounds like perhaps you are indeed (like me) . . .

a "boygle"
[pronounced 'boy gull' ;D currently def #1 not 2! ;) you want to be as "girly looking" as you can without actually "being", presenting "as female" /OR/ in other words, you want the social recognition and attentions usually afforded female without giving up the status or privledge(?) otherwise accorded male?]
"But it's no use now," thought poor Alice, "to pretend be two people!
"Why, there's hardly enough of me left to make one respectable person!"
  •  

Just Kate

Quote from: Kiera on October 15, 2009, 03:32:52 PM
Ah Ha interalia! lol It appears my 11 yr daughter's new definition has caught an extra Thumbs Up sounds like perhaps you are indeed (like me) . . .

a "boygle"
[pronounced 'boy gull' ;D currently def #1 not 2! ;) you want to be as "girly looking" as you can without actually "being", presenting "as female" /OR/ in other words, you want the social recognition and attentions usually afforded female without giving up the status or privledge(?) otherwise accorded male?]

Wow, not at all.  In fact, I doubt I'll get either gender's social grace attached to me.  Trust me I could do without the male priviledge, I actually despite it.. makes me crazy.. makes me want to self handicap so I don't get it... seriously.

•  

aubrey

I hope you can find a way of being in the world that doesn't involve constricting judgements from either yourself or others...That you can act and interact freely and as authentically as possible....whatever that is, whatever your truth is.

:)
  •  

cynthialee

So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
Sun Tsu 'The art of War'
  •  

gothique11

Good luck, nothing wrong with androgyny. Just look ata Brian Molko -- the lead singer of Placebo -- he's androgynous, and comfortable being that way. Personally, I think he's hawt and he's one of my star crushes. LOL

But, yeah, check him out -- see what you think -- if you haven't already heard of Placebo.

In my own life, I'm a woman, but I'm also androgynous at times. I don't believe in fitting molds. I've done lots of things that have made other mtf's mad at me -- wear boy clothes, buzzed half of my hair but kept the bangs long (chelsea hair cut), and dressed in drag (I usually use make up and do stubble). Even some non-trans folk have gone WTF. But, hey, that's how I roll. I'm just me.  >:-)  But, yeah, not really anyone around here that I know is like me. *shrugs* I just be my self and roll my own game.

Here's some YT vids of Placebo. Brian is so, so, hawt! *drools* Why can't I find someone like this in my life to date?

Pure Morning (Lots of ppl have heard this song)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbHkwrGgsoA#noexternalembed

36 Degrees
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9TTuYKJvnA#noexternalembed

Change Your Taste in Men (hawt in here too, with shorter hair -- droolz)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cc2geYFmJlE#noexternalembed

Slave To the Wage (short hair, more make up than last vid... hawt.. can I just go masturbate now?)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7e3-Vg1gIx0#noexternalembed

For what it's worth (long hair, make up, more femme looking)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lo2cSq3s4NM#noexternalembed

Anyway, yeah... other examples are out there, too.
  •  

Just Kate

Oh, if only I could be THAT androgynous lol!  But I can get damned close as it is.  I just have to continue to move my comfort zone further and further that direction.  There is still some fear of the effects it will have on my job and ability to support my (future) family.

•