News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Cindi answers questions about the Mormon Church

Started by Cindi Jones, October 24, 2006, 08:27:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Witch of Sadness

Dear Cindi,

I don't want to harm you nor anybody else, by my postings. Both of us were at the Mormons and both handle differently our experiences. I have studied the Mormons, also the literature of former mormons and scientist who deals with the topic. I see the Mormons very critically, and you presumably  don't be so critical. Both is also all right! But I don't find it okay to forbid me my voice! I also have to say much to this topic like you!
For example this here:

Some still to the witnesses of the Book of Mormon. There was three and eight witnesses at once. The three witnesses, David Whitmer, Oliver Cowdery and Martin Harris parted all three from him and the Mormons and accused Joseph Smith more differently crimes on. Under this adultery and immoral behavior. Particularly Oliver Cowdery, which was a councellor of Joseph Smith did this. He was later replaced by John C. Bennett, which homosexuality was confessed later. All three said later that they saw the Book of Mormon with "the eyes of the faith". Or they never saw it with their natural eyes but believed what Joseph Smith told to them, expressed differently.

The eight witnesses are:

Christian Whitmer, Jacob Whitmer, Peter Whitmer Jun, John Whitmer, Hiram Page, Joseph Smith Sen., Hyrum Smith und Samuel H. Smith.

Everyone was either related to Joseph Smith or close friends to him. Also they said that they saw the "golden plates" with the "eyes of the faith".
Some of them left the LDS church later and followed mormon sects.
Joseph Smith didn't have the gift of the translation for it; the story already proves alone around the "Kinderhook plates":
Some farmers wanted to show Joseph Smith up; and had plates made of brass which decorated her with characters produced of a blacksmith. They buried the plates, and help a mormon to "found" the plates which claimed that Joseph Smith could translate the plates. Joseph Smith agreed, and said later, that these plates would come from a descendant of Ham(one of the sons Abraham).
The plates had disappeared for decades and were found later. Both scientists , Mormons and non-mormons examined the material and arrived at the conclusion that these plates dated around from the year 1840. The LDS leadership didn't want to believe it first, and then accepted it. They give the secretary of Joseph Smith, William Clayton, the fault now so that their prophet stands innocent!
I think that all of you should know this!

All this information are facts which I have carried from different sources together. Nothing to this is wrong or doubtfully but multiple protected by different statements.
Cindi, I don't find your behave okay, and have to think about it to leave the forum .

Witch of sadness, aka Linda
  •  

Steph

Hello Cindi.

I received an email from a new member who for some reason is unable to post.  I believe that they still must register, and they posting from Europe, so fogive the English, I am posting this on their behalf.  Do you know of the following:

Quote from: Gerlinde KenkelSome still to the witnesses to the Book of Mormon. There was three and eight witnesses at once. The three witnesses, David Whitmer, Oliver Cowdery and Martin Harris parted all three from him and the Mormons and accused Joseph Smith more differently crimes on. Under this adultery and immoral behavior. Particularly Oliver Cowdery, which was a councellor of Joseph Smith did this. He was later replaced by John C. Bennett, which homosexuality was confessed later. All three said later that they saw the Book of Mormon with "the eyes of the faith". Or they never saw it with their natural eyes but believed what Joseph Smith told to them, expressed differently.

The eight witnesses are:

Christian Whitmer, Jacob Whitmer, Peter Whitmer Jun, John Whitmer, Hiram Page, Joseph Smith Sen., Hyrum Smith und Samuel H. Smith.

Everyone was either related to Joseph Smith or close friends to him. Also they said that they saw the "golden plates" with the "eyes of the faith".

Some of them left the LDS church later and followed mormon sects.

Joseph Smith didn't have the gift of the translation for it; the story already proves alone around the "Kinderhook plates":

Some farmers wanted to show Joseph Smith up; and had plates made of brass which decorated her with characters produced of a blacksmith. They buried the plates, and help a mormon to "found" the plates which claimed that Joseph Smith could translate the plates. Joseph Smith agreed, and said later, that these plates would come from a descendant of Ham(one of the sons Abraham).

The plates had disappeared for decades and were found later. Both scientists , Mormons and non-mormons examined the material and arrived at the conclusion that these plates dated around from the year 1840. The LDS leadership didn't want to believe it first, and then accepted it. They give the secretary of Joseph Smith, William Clayton, the fault now so that their prophet stands innocent!

I think that all of you should know this!
  •  

Witch of Sadness

Dear Stephanie,

how I had already written to you I couldn't send my posting to Susan's Place because of a technical problem I have had. Later it works anyway and I bedded down the contribute into my Posting to Cindi. I would like to apologize in this place that my English is so terrible and for the trouble which I have made to you.
Excuse my fault once again, please!  :-* :angel:
I will have to think intensively now whether this forum is the right place for me. Escaped from the captivity of a sect for me a liberal expression of opinion has got enormously important.

Wos, aka Gerlinde Kenkel
  •  

Cindi Jones

Witch, please don't apologize for your English.  You are fine.  We understand you.  As I have stated before, I too have had problems with conservative religions.  There are many reasons why I can no longer accept the LDS religion. You need to know that you are not alone.

But for the purposes of this topic, I have tried to keep it on track and only present answers to questions based on the Mormon church's doctrine and self proclaimed history.  I have tried to answer the questions based on how the Mormons would answer them to promote a greater understanding of what this religion proclaims to be. 

Every religion has its quirks and problems.  Thanks for your comments.  Don't feel that you are alone in your feelings.  There are others like you.

Cindi
Author of Squirrel Cage
  •  

taylor

Cindi,
Thanks for answering my questions.  I never could by into the whole Joseph Smith thing and was always sort of suprised with people that could. I just did not get that.

I see religion as a socializing agent, and I think Christ warned people quite effectively if they would have just listened, watch out for the churches, seldom are they really houses of his father....something like that. God can reach us...all of us right where we are, don't need to be in a church, all I have to do is be open to a spiritual enlightenment from my soul/spirit whatever a person wants to call it. God was with me every step of the way, and churches abused me, condemned me etc.  As a orphan I had my share with the Baptist and with the Catholic and Penticostals...thankfully it is not in those buildings, under man made laws and interpretations that you find God!

I want to thank you for sharing the educational aspects of the Mormon church. It is very interesting and I am reading threw this thread as others continue to post. I get what your doing and your doing a great job! Thanks for sharing it with us seriously!

Peace,
Taylor

PS I am a man of God not a man of any religion or church, that was my greatest blessing. Talk about being free.
  •  

Witch of Sadness

@ Taylor,

Quote*PS I am a man of God not a man of any religion or church, that was my greatest blessing. Talk about being free.

Many thanks that you had made the difference considerably!
There is an old joke in Germany in which it is said that one loves God but is dissatisfied with the "ground staff".
The churches and her representatives which asks the victims of others are meant for it with that they are never ready to give!

WoS
  •  

Melissa

Quote from: Cindianna_Jones on October 24, 2006, 11:41:10 AM
I've told it before, but it is buried in the ether somewhere....  Hubby tells people he's a Bochalist.  When someone asks him what that means he responds with: "I believe in bochalism."  When people ask about my beliefs, I tell them that I'm a Druid.  When they ask me what I believe in, I say:  "Look up.... and there you go!"  Between the two of us, most folk just assume we are crazy loones!
I could tell people I'm a minimalist and worship being lazy and doing as little as possible. :P

Melissa
  •  

Julie Marie

Quote from: Cindianna_Jones on October 24, 2006, 12:08:34 PM
Please ask what you will and I will answer in my most thoughtful manner.  Many people have many unanswered questions about the Mormons.  And I promise to be nice.

Cindi

One of my favorite Bears players of all time is Jim McMahon.  He was often mistaken for being Mormon.  Was it his hair or the Roselle headband that caused this?  Sorry, I don't know much else about the Mormons.

Julie
When you judge others, you do not define them, you define yourself.
  •  

Cindi Jones

Quote from: Julie Marie on November 06, 2006, 08:43:08 AM

One of my favorite Bears players of all time is Jim McMahon.  He was often mistaken for being Mormon.  Was it his hair or the Roselle headband that caused this?  Sorry, I don't know much else about the Mormons.

Julie

I don't follow football much but I do know the answer to this one. I believe that Jim was born and reared in the Catholic faith.  Jim played football for BYU.  BYU is an LDS (Mormon) church run school.  There are very few non Mormons who attend.  Many of the required classes are religioius... so it isn't terribly attractive to non members. If you attend BYU, it is naturally assumed that you are a member of the Mormon Church.  Jim was the star quarterback for a couple of years.  Steve Young followed in his footsteps.

Cindi
Author of Squirrel Cage
  •  

Witch of Sadness

Dear Cindi,

I was in Provo at the BYU many years ago(1979) once for some weeks. This what I experienced there, was afraid and conformity pressure there. Students spied on their fellow students and four people (about whom I know) had to leave the area because of homosexuality and pregnancy in these five weeks.
A German athlete who also was there (1995) at the BYU years later reported similar. In a newspaper interview she told that she had secretly to creep from the window to go to her boyfriend (he was an afro-american).
Like in almost all Christian universities and colleges, it is a pain for freedom-loving people to live there!

WoS
  •