Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Anybody here wax?

Started by Nero, January 05, 2010, 08:57:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nero

I'm less than crazy about some of my new found hairiness. Anybody have waxing tips?
Nero was the Forum Admin here at Susan's Place for several years up to the time of his death.
  •  

Marie731

Quote from: Nero on January 05, 2010, 08:57:50 PM
I'm less than crazy about some of my new found hairiness. Anybody have waxing tips?

Epilator ;)
  •  

Janet_Girl

HHooo  Surfer Dude or BMX biker.  Smooth.............

Had to rib you, Nero.  Just because.

Janet
  •  

Muffin

I've tried all methods and yes epilation is by far the best! You get used to it after awhile so much so that now most parts are less painful than when I pluck my eyebrows ^_^
Plus it's cheaper, less mess and you don't have to grow the hair out as far.
So epilation x2.
But if you have your heart set on waxing then...... 0_0 & good luck! :P
S~
  •  

Nero

um what's the difference between waxing and epilation?
Nero was the Forum Admin here at Susan's Place for several years up to the time of his death.
  •  

Janet_Girl

Heat vs. Plucking.  Burn vs. Ouch.   ;D
  •  

Marie731

Quote from: Nero on January 05, 2010, 10:12:08 PM

Epilator is a gadget, looks like an electric razor, that rips the hair out rather than cutting it ;)
  •  

Alexie

I get waxed most places (blush) at least every 6 weeks.

The rule of thumb is, the more regular, the less it hurts.
I haven't tried an epilator (electrified plucking machine if you like) but to be honest, I have heard too many painful stories so I never went down that path. Then again, so many people on this forum seem to recommend them so who am I to say.

Besides, I'm a bit of a sook and like the attention I get when someone else pampers me  ;D

Alexie.
"On the plains of hesitation lay the bleached bones of millions
Who at the dawn of victory sat down and waited
And in waiting died"
(George Cecil - 1923)
  •  

Muffin

They both remove the hair the same way by plucking more or less so the whole hair is removed which is what you want. Waxing is a fast ripping action over a large area.. slow or fast ..this is the problem I have with it.. it's just too much instant pain or drawn out intensity.
Epilation is slower and more manageable, you can choose how fast you run over the skin in line with your pain tolerance, and with time you get faster at it. I like the buzz of the epilator against the skin it stops you from feeling the plucking as much, after awhile as you get used to it you only feel the buzz against your skin more than anything else. The first time I used it I was like "wow I can feel that", but after time you get over it, same with waxing but for quickness and convenience epilation is where its at.
Sure some areas of the body are more sensitive but over time you can build up to them and inch your way into them. My housemate is already able to do her underarms with it!! I'm not that hardcore though... not yet :P
Highly recommended over waxing ^_^
  •  

V M

I waxed my pits the other day. I use the GiGi microwave wax kit  :icon_chick:

I need to get more wax so I can do my legs and happy place  :icon_redface:
The main things to remember in life are Love, Kindness, Understanding and Respect - Always make forward progress

Superficial fanny kissing friends are a dime a dozen, a TRUE FRIEND however is PRICELESS

- V M
  •  

Janet_Girl

I have tried both and I would need some Vicodin or Novocaine to do it again.

Janet
  •  

Alexie

Quote from: Janet Lynn on January 05, 2010, 10:49:29 PM
I have tried both and I would need some Vicodin or Novocaine to do it again.

Precisely Janet  :), that's why I get someone else to do those scary bits :P If they do it with hot wax and definitely not strip wax it doesn't hurt that much. My only problem is it keeps reminding me of those bits I don't want  :o

I tried doing it myself once... and once only... OUCH!!

Alexie
And in waiting died"
(George Cecil - 1923)
  •  

V M

Well, it is a bit painful

But we live in a world that makes us feel like pulling our hair out

At least we can decide the method and which fur is gonna fly  >:-)
The main things to remember in life are Love, Kindness, Understanding and Respect - Always make forward progress

Superficial fanny kissing friends are a dime a dozen, a TRUE FRIEND however is PRICELESS

- V M
  •  

Alexie

Quote from: Virginia Marie on January 05, 2010, 11:00:28 PM

At least we can decide the method and which fur is gonna fly  >:-)

I'm with you on that one! The only place I want fur is my head  :eusa_dance:
And in waiting died"
(George Cecil - 1923)
  •  

Silver

I used to.

Advice? Don't overheat the wax. Learn to do it on your own (other people charge too much. Also, there was this lady that got herpes in the eye from an eyebrow wax. They're unsanitary.) The thicker the hair, the more painful it is. Grow your hair out 1/4" first. Apply the wax in the direction of the hair, rip it off the other way.

I don't think I left anything out.
  •  

Miniar

Don't wax straight after a shower.
It hurts less if there's a little layer of dirt and dead skin to take off with the wax.. that way the only pain you get is from the actual pulling of the hair, and not pulling at the skin.

Also, get some aloe gel. It's the best thing to soothe the skin afterwards.

I plan to keep myself as smooth as possible even with the T too..
Hubby's even promised to help with the parts I can't reach.

I might look into getting an epilator cause wax is messy, very time consuming, and so on..
Might be cheaper in the long run too...

"Everyone who has ever built anywhere a new heaven first found the power thereto in his own hell" - Nietzsche
  •  

EveMarie

Quote from: Nero on January 05, 2010, 10:12:08 PM

I think screaming so loud you find that new voice you were looking for, and slamming a hole in the wall for the new bathroom window you didn't know you wanted!

Tried both and I'll stick to shaving for now, but I have been searching for a reputable epilator, and so far this one by Braun seems to be getting the best reviews: http://www.shavercentre.com/braun_7681.html
"You are not born a woman... you become one..."  Simone de Beauvior
"No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."  Friedrich Nietzsche
  •  

Muffin

That elipator looks awesome and it has a light which IMO is a 100% must!!!! ^_^
I have the Braun 5270 Silk Epil Xelle which is a bit smaller but I love it! Wait I love something that inflicts pain? lol.. well I am crazy so it makes sense.
  •  

tiger

You get use to the pain after awhile. I can do the legs, feet and hands. I've tried it on the chest, belly and back they hurt the most. I've got the Braun 5395.

I'll probably get waxed in the spring for the chest, belly and back.
  •  

V M

I like to wax peoples butt holes just to watch them jump  :icon_yikes: >:-)

Okay, bad humor

But seriously, I'm thinking I should work at a salon because I'm actually pretty good at waxing  :icon_chick:

- V M
  •