Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Caffeine Free Diet Coke

Started by Hannah, February 02, 2010, 03:26:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannah

...is how you spell awesome-sauce! I've been afraid of this stuff until lately, because if you take the sugar and caffeine out of Coke what the hell is left? It's not that bad though and makes a nice fizzy drink to tickle a sore throat at bedtime.
  •  

Ephriam66

Caffeine does not occur naturally in any of the ingredients of any soda (at least the well known ones). It was added to the soda, originally for medicinal purposes, and now probably because people demand/need/are used to it. Any soda marked caffeinne free do not have any caffeine, also typically orange (or other fuit flavored) soda, most root beers, sprite, 7-up do not contain caffeine.
Also, if cafeine does not show up on the ingredients list then it doesn't contain any. 
The reason decaffeinated tea and coffee still have caffeine is because it occurs naturally in the bean or leaf, respectively, and has to be stripped out. But it can't be completely removed without removing things like taste or aroma. The stripping process is actually quite interesting.
  •  

xander

Diet soda is much worse for you than the full sugar.
  •  

AbraCadabra

Interesting to post this under "nutrition" ha ha :-)

I HATE all this diet stuff, it always leaves a strange unwanted chemical taste in MY mouth.

Axélle
PS: how about they now put coke back into Coca Cola?!
Nothing left in there to give one a 'lift' at this rate...
Some say: "Free sex ruins everything..."
  •  

xander

Axelle, that's because it IS chemicals.
  •  

Jeneva

Diet Rite Cola is caffeine free and also made with splenda instead of nutri-sweet.

We have TONS of cola here, but that is because our son has type 1 diabetes and can't freely drink the juice and milk he used to run on.  Before he was diagnosed we didn't have cola in the house at all.  It was all water for us and juice/milk for the kids.
Blessed Be!

Jeneva Caroline Samples
  •  

Jen61

•  

apple pie

Quote from: Axélle on December 15, 2011, 11:12:13 PM
Interesting to post this under "nutrition" ha ha :-)

I HATE all this diet stuff, it always leaves a strange unwanted chemical taste in MY mouth.

Axélle
PS: how about they now put coke back into Coca Cola?!
Nothing left in there to give one a 'lift' at this rate...

I'm the opposite, I feel that normal Coke leaves a residue taste in my mouth after drinking it, whereas Diet Coke doesn't! (though sucrose always leaves that aftertaste in my mouth and it's not just Coke, I'm not sure why)
  •  

supremecatoverlord

Diet soda is worse or as bad for for you than as regular soda with actual sugar(which can actually be all different kinds of sugars, depending on your region or the brand you buy) because it uses sugar substitutes/artificial sweeteners that ultimately mess with your body's triggering of insulin. In the long run, this supposedly exacerbates your body's chances of developing diabetes and greatly impairs your metabolism. Or so I've heard.
Meow.

•  

Jen61

Quote from: JasonRX on December 16, 2011, 09:51:01 AM
Diet soda is worse or as bad for for you than as regular soda with actual sugar(which can actually be all different kinds of sugars, depending on your region or the brand you buy) because it uses sugar substitutes/artificial sweeteners that ultimately mess with your body's triggering of insulin. In the long run, this supposedly exacerbates your body's chances of developing diabetes and greatly impairs your metabolism. Or so I've heard.

where did you get this info ?
  •  

supremecatoverlord

There's plenty of medical articles about it that exist. I'm actually surprised you haven't heard any information circling about artificial sweeteners in general, because they have a pretty bad reputation in the health community.

Uh, here.
http://www.kriskris.com/is-diet-soda-bad-for-you/
http://www.livestrong.com/article/477679-insulin-weight-gain-and-artificial-sweeteners/
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/artificial-sweeteners-insulin/#axzz1giZgLYQo
You're going to find that a lot of this information is still up for debate. I never said I supported it, just was explaining as to why some people might say it is unhealthy, hence the "so I've heard". You'll find that a lot of what is in our food these days, especially when it comes to substitutes, additives, preservatives, and other "strange" chemical alterations, is always up for debate. In short, I do not know the answer to whether diet coke is healthy or not. But because it is soda, I'm betting it's not.
I personally don't drink Coke, as far as soda goes, but that's merely because I find to be rather bland tasting.
>_< I do drink other sodas though and they tend to be high in caffeine - tis' once my many vices.
Meow.

•  

Jen61

@JasonRX

I have been reading the controversy for 30 years. yes, you could find peer-review publications that shown weak correlations at best, but the "smoking gun" cause and effect in humans is lacking.

Now, this issue of nutrition and diet, is almost like religion, can get pretty heated up "cuz I choose to believe so" attitude. . So I will no argue pro or con.

I just want to point to you that there is no such a thing as a harmless product (man made or nature), it is all a question of balance.
  •  

Jamie D

Really, we should avoid all sorts of sugar-sweetened and artificially sweetened sodas and drinks.  And that includes the so-called energy drinks (Monster, Red Bull, Amp, etc) - which have been implicated in several irregular heartbeat deaths.
  •  

xander

Quote from: Jen61 on December 16, 2011, 06:56:18 AM
Why ?

Upon consumption it breaks down into formaldehyde, a product commonly used to embalm bodies/preserve biological specimens.
  •  

Cindy

My 89 year old mother in law said to her son, who drinks sugar free Coke. Buy me a Coke please, the real stuff not the rubbish you drink :laugh: :laugh:

•  

niamh

Quote from: Jeneva on December 16, 2011, 06:37:05 AM
Diet Rite Cola is caffeine free and also made with splenda instead of nutri-sweet.

We have TONS of cola here, but that is because our son has type 1 diabetes and can't freely drink the juice and milk he used to run on.  Before he was diagnosed we didn't have cola in the house at all.  It was all water for us and juice/milk for the kids.

But there is natural juice, plant milk, water....
  •  

Jeneva

Quote from: niamh on December 17, 2011, 08:30:41 AM
But there is natural juice, plant milk, water....
Did you read my post before you quoted and replied to it?

With type 1 he makes NO insulin at all and NEVER will.  It isn't weight/age based, but rather an auto-immune disease.  He will NEVER make any insulin again without some medical breakthrough (type 2 is the resistance to insulin).  It all has to be injected.  Because of that it is best to keep his carb counts down because injecting too much insulin can induce coma or be fatal.  4oz of natural orange juice is 15grams of carbs and it spikes quickly and is gone.  The nutritionists want him at no more than 70 grams of carbs per meal, and they'd really prefer 60, but he always wants more.  Using juice would be a huge chunk of his meal's carbs going in a blink.  We do keep juice around though since it is a wonderful way to get him up quickly if he's been too active and is in danger of crashing.  Plant milk would be much the same.  BTW we do actually use soy milk for most cooking and coffee and I use it exclusively. 

As far as water goes, did you notice that I said BEFORE he was diagnosed that we didn't have cola at all and we mostly drank water.  Even now we drink tons of water, but he usually wants something else for dinner (vs just a drink in the evening).
Blessed Be!

Jeneva Caroline Samples
  •  

niamh

Quote from: Jeneva on December 17, 2011, 11:39:50 AM
Did you read my post before you quoted and replied to it?

Why did you have to be so rude? I am no idiot. I DID read your post and I know what diabetes is. I also know it can be reversed but if you are going to jump down my throat at a friendly comment Ill just walk away now...
  •  

Jeneva

Quote from: niamh on December 17, 2011, 12:32:54 PM
Why did you have to be so rude? I am no idiot. I DID read your post and I know what diabetes is. I also know it can be reversed but if you are going to jump down my throat at a friendly comment Ill just walk away now...
That is just it, Type 1 Diabetes CANNOT be reversed.  Type 2 can in certain cases.  You were basically giving incorrect medical advice and that HAS to be answered because someone else may see it and try to follow it.
Blessed Be!

Jeneva Caroline Samples
  •  

Jamie D

Quote from: Jeneva on December 17, 2011, 12:35:57 PM
That is just it, Type 1 Diabetes CANNOT be reversed.  Type 2 can in certain cases.  You were basically giving incorrect medical advice and that HAS to be answered because someone else may see it and try to follow it.

About the only thing that can be done for Type 1 diabetes is a pancreas transplant.  One if the ladies who attends the nutrition seminars with me is a survivor of pancreas and kidney transplant.  The books and videos published by Dr Julian Whittaker are very good and provide an approach that most people can understand and follow.
  •