Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

The New Alice In Wonderland

Started by Alex_I_Think, March 09, 2010, 11:26:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex_I_Think

I'm so stoked! I'm going to see it in Imax 3D on Saturday and it looks awesome! Has anyone seen it yet? Anyone planning on seeing it?
  •  

Lachlann

I saw it last night. I wasn't impressed.
Don't be scared to fly alone, find a path that is your own
Love will open every door it's in your hands, the world is yours
Don't hold back and always know, all the answers will unfold
What are you waiting for, spread your wings and soar
  •  

Alex_I_Think

•  

Lachlann

Quote from: Alex_I_Think on March 09, 2010, 11:57:36 AM
Aww... Seriously? Why?

It just felt really bland. It wasn't that things weren't 'weird' and they'd definitely be 'creative' for some, but the execution of it all left me bored.

Who knows, you may enjoy it. I'm a bit of a quirky person, though, and my standards for creativity are pretty high. I didn't find Pan's Labyrinth all that imaginative either, lol.
  •  

Miniar

I saw it, I enjoyed it, but... I wasn't "impressed" either.
It's not Tim Burton at his best, he hasn't been at his best for a while, and he just didn't do "enough" with it.

Then there's the fact that I've played American McGee's Alice and the plot has similar strokes to it, however, the one in Tim Burton's Alice seems... "thinner".

It was my first 3D movie, and you know, I'm beginning to think that people rely on the 3D to impress people too much.

"Everyone who has ever built anywhere a new heaven first found the power thereto in his own hell" - Nietzsche
  •  

Lachlann

Quote from: Miniar on March 09, 2010, 03:00:47 PMIt's not Tim Burton at his best, he hasn't been at his best for a while, and he just didn't do "enough" with it.

I felt the exact same way. It's not that it's a bad movie, it just felt like not enough was done with it.
  •  

Miniar

Quote from: Lachlann on March 09, 2010, 03:03:29 PM
I felt the exact same way. It's not that it's a bad movie, it just felt like not enough was done with it.

American McGee did more with his version.

"Everyone who has ever built anywhere a new heaven first found the power thereto in his own hell" - Nietzsche
  •  

V M

Darn, I love most Tim Burton movies and want to go see it... But I don't want to feel disappointed  :icon_blink:
The main things to remember in life are Love, Kindness, Understanding and Respect - Always make forward progress

Superficial fanny kissing friends are a dime a dozen, a TRUE FRIEND however is PRICELESS

- V M
  •  

Degahna

I haven't seen it yet. I hope it isnt as bland/boring as you say.  :'(
  •  

Miniar

The trick is to expect the movie to be "blah".
Then you'll at least not be disappointed.

•  

Degahna

Quote from: Miniar on March 09, 2010, 03:38:28 PM
The trick is to expect the movie to be "blah".
Then you'll at least not be disappointed.

That's what I usually do with movies! I try not to watch trailers and try to not get hyped about them. That way I don't really have any expectations.
  •  

AmySmiles

I went in with low expectations and came out happy.  It wasn't anywhere close to the best movie I've seen, but it was enjoyable enough.  From what I'd read, I was expecting it to be darker than it was, so on that front it was a bit disappointing.

QuoteIt was my first 3D movie, and you know, I'm beginning to think that people rely on the 3D to impress people too much.
It felt kinda forced in this one.  In the other 3D movies I've seen (UP, Avatar) it wasn't so bad... at least IMO.
  •  

Syne

I will probably go see this movie but not in 3D. Avatar did 3D really well but then I grew up during a period of time where they were trying to really push 3D. Friday the 13th in 3D (funny, funny, funny i laughed all the way through). A scifi movie called Parasite that was, well, really bad.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing this movie and then Kick Ass in April.
  •  

V M

I'm gonna wait for the sequel... Alice does the Mad Hatter  >:-) ... I guess the hang up is trying to decide on a rating for it  ::)

Hint... I play Alice and I give the Mad Hatter somethin' he won't soon forget  :laugh: >:-) :laugh:
The main things to remember in life are Love, Kindness, Understanding and Respect - Always make forward progress

Superficial fanny kissing friends are a dime a dozen, a TRUE FRIEND however is PRICELESS

- V M
  •  

Silver

Quote from: Miniar on March 09, 2010, 03:00:47 PM
you know, I'm beginning to think that people rely on the 3D to impress people too much.

Definitely. As for my opinion on Alice In Wonderland. . . meh.

But the jabberwocky looked awesome.
  •  

Jamie-o

Well, I just saw it, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.  I liked it a lot more than most of the other Tim Burton films I've seen.  I really liked how he used pieces of both Alice books as the basis for the film, but took it off in its' own direction entirely.  It's not just another rehashing of the same old Alice story. 
  •  

Degahna

Quote from: Jamie-o on March 10, 2010, 06:09:34 AM
Well, I just saw it, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.  I liked it a lot more than most of the other Tim Burton films I've seen.  I really liked how he used pieces of both Alice books as the basis for the film, but took it off in its' own direction entirely.  It's not just another rehashing of the same old Alice story.

Cool, I'll look forward to it.
  •  

Alex_I_Think

I was wondering if Johnny Depp plays a major role, or if the previews are misleading.
  •  

Silver

Quote from: Alex_I_Think on March 10, 2010, 07:50:55 AM
I was wondering if Johnny Depp plays a major role, or if the previews are misleading.

Yeah he does.
  •  

tekla

Someone - Pixar perhaps - invented a brand new way to do 3-D that I guess is a hella lot better than what went on before.  So this is just the tip of the iceberg, there are going to be a lot more 3-D before this is over.
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •