Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

What's your ethnicity?

Started by Alex201, December 29, 2010, 08:44:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tad

Quote from: perlita85 on December 31, 2010, 06:39:24 PM
Hi, Tad,

for a couple houndred dollars tere are a number of companies that wll determine you patenal (y chromosome haplotype) an maternal (mitochondrial dna) lineages. I got a supriesa when I got mine anlyzed. I was told that e ere Catal and with some maternal Jewish blood. Well the DNA said that my paternal lineage is Frisian (Noethern Netherlands), and my maernal lineage Spanish and Algonquin.

I've considered it, however it's around $800 from the places I've been looking at. And money being tight that's a no go for a long time. However I have no Y chromosome to test :( Someday I plan to do it.
  •  

Rock_chick

I don't care what I am as long as it's not english.
  •  

AmberM

I'm mixed European with a Cherokee background.
  •  

Shadowlyc

Puerto Rican and that's about it. :D
  •  

Double_Rainbow

•  

SnailPace

I'm Caucasian.  50% Dutch, and then a muddling of other things.  I know a lot of the places my ancestors have lived, but they were never a native of the place.  (Such as Australia, USA, Canada...)
  •  

spacepilot

Very caucasian for the most part haha. I'm a mixture of German, Italian, Scottish, Irish, English, and a little bit of Choctaw Indian.
  •  

JerkBoy

I'm Cuban and Romanian by way of two half parents. With a dash of Native American Sioux for flavor. My great grandfather on my mother's side was a strict Catholic Priest. And my great grandfather on my father's side was a devout Orthodox Rabbi. I'm Agnostic; weird.
  •  

spacial

Quote from: Helena on December 31, 2010, 08:09:07 PM
I don't care what I am as long as it's not english.

:laugh: We love you too Helena  :laugh:
  •  

rexgsd

Italian, Swedish, mostly. then lesser, german, french, native american. oh yeah, and dont forgot im part canine ;P
☥fiat justitia ruat coelum☥

"Girls will be boys, and boys will be girls. Its a mixed up, muddled up, shook up world." - The Kinks

•  

Simone Louise

Fourth/fifth generation German-Jewish-American, plus a rabbi from Minsk and some hints that earlier ancestors came from Italy and Spain (pre-Inquisition). Ancestral cities in the United States include: Chicago; Butte and Helena, Montana; Saginaw, Michigan; Darien and Americus, Georgia; and New York City (the rabbi from Minsk). My cultural heritage includes several generations of feminism, pacifism, and radical Reform Judaism. Pretty simple.

S
Choose life.
  •  

Kitpup

From most to least as best as I understand it at this point I am *big breath* English, Basque, Irish, Welsh, French, Spanish, and Native American (likely Cherokee).
In short form, 100% American Mutt :D
  •  

Pica Pica

To all the Americans that wrote a huge list of places - how can you be all those things? If you were born in America, raised in America and grew up culturally American - then surely you are American. Just because a person had ancestors all sorts of things, doesn't mean those things influence yourself. I could list a whole heap of Pan-European ancestral links - but I'm still just English.

It reminds me of the story about an American that went into an Irish bar and said that his Great-Grandmother was Irish so he felt at home there - to which the locals beat him up. When he asked, from his bloody, toothless state why they had beaten him up when he was Irish, the locals said, 'You're not Irish, your great-grandmother was, and she ran out on us.'
'For the circle may be squared with rising and swelling.' Kit Smart
  •  

V M

I'm a human being living on the planet Earth momentarily  :P
The main things to remember in life are Love, Kindness, Understanding and Respect - Always make forward progress

Superficial fanny kissing friends are a dime a dozen, a TRUE FRIEND however is PRICELESS

- V M
  •  

Kitpup

My family is always really big on heritage. My mom is proud of being 4th generation spanish-basque here in Murrica. My paternal granmother is straight out of england. I like knowing where I come from and where I don't and finding out the differences. I suppose that if asked to fill a form I'll always simply be 'caucasian' but that doesn't mean I'm not proud of the massive variety in my genes.
  •  

tekla

American by birth, Californian by the grace of the gods.

Do I get Picax2 points?
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

Simone Louise

Quote from: Pica Pica on January 15, 2011, 08:40:15 PM
To all the Americans that wrote a huge list of places - how can you be all those things? If you were born in America, raised in America and grew up culturally American - then surely you are American. Just because a person had ancestors all sorts of things, doesn't mean those things influence yourself. I could list a whole heap of Pan-European ancestral links - but I'm still just English.

It reminds me of the story about an American that went into an Irish bar and said that his Great-Grandmother was Irish so he felt at home there - to which the locals beat him up. When he asked, from his bloody, toothless state why they had beaten him up when he was Irish, the locals said, 'You're not Irish, your great-grandmother was, and she ran out on us.'

And that reminds me of going to the village my great-grandfather came from. Some of the other patrons in the restaurant where I ate asked why I'd come to their town. I told them I was looking for my roots. After I mentioned the family name, they told me there was nobody by that name in town. I didn't have the heart to mention that anyone from my family still in town 70 years ago would have been gassed.

The American melting pot is not instantaneous. Some of us still act, think, and eat a little differently, based on where our ancestors came from.

S
Choose life.
  •  

tekla

The American melting pot is not instantaneous.

Nor is it a monolith, growing up in NYC is different from rural Georgia, which is not LA, which is no where close to growing up in Texas, and on, and on.
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •