Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Comfort Foods?

Started by Dawn Heart, July 18, 2012, 02:03:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dawn Heart

Hey everyone! I'd like to talk about comfort foods. Which ones do you like, when do you use them, how do you use them, and why do you use them?

Is the craving for comfort foods an emotional / psychological female trait more than a male trait? If so, do we know anything about how it works? What separates THIS specific trait from a male trait?

I'll start off...I get cravings for comfort foods mostly when I'm worried / anxious about something, depressed, or just in a melancholy / shiftless mood where I have no idea what to do with myself.

I crave things like Cheetos, certain types of ice cream, my favorite drink (non-alcoholic), pizza, nachos, favorite soups, maybe a certain type of sandwich, crackers with cheese, chips and favorite dip, and will even sometimes just feel like curling up in quiet or might even enjoy one of these things (usually my fave drink) in a nice soothing bath.

What say you all? 

There's more to me than what I thought
  •  

Jamie D

Chicken corn chowder on a cool, rainy day.
  •  

Ave

Midnight fried chicken with some cold soda makes a boring summer evening more tasty. Also, some cheesy parmesan pasta-chicken thing would also be good.
I can see me
I can see you
Are you me?
Or am I you?
  •  

Joelene9

Tonight I had broiled marinaded steak.  From the garden: Yukon Gold baked potato with butter, sour cream with some savory toppings and a side of broccoli.  Dessert:  A slice of watermelon from the garden.
  Joelene
  •  

Jamie D

A perfectly delicious meal ...

aside from the broccoli.

Another of my comfort foods ... pearl tapioca puddling.
  •  

Nicolette

When I do my weekly shopping, I purposely skip buying snacks like crisps or ice cream, except for nuts and fruit. I have a weak will and would plunder the lot within a short space of time. I used to be addicted to pistachio nuts when feeling anxious, but gave them up because of finding too many worms inside. Euww! So it's fruit and nuts and a cuppa for now.
  •  

~RoadToTrista~

Eating this previously frozen burrito is oddly relaxing now that you mention it. >.<
  •  

Alexis

Ice cream is one of those comfort foods for me. The grocery store has been out of the flavor I love for weeks now (what gives!?) so it's been homemade ones lately. I tend not to do sweets a lot but when I do it can be dangerous
  •  

Cindy

I was going to say I don't have any, while I'm eating Cheezels.
  •  

Jamie D

Quote from: Cindy James on August 27, 2012, 04:33:35 AM
I was going to say I don't have any, while I'm eating Cheezels.

For Americans, something like a puffed Cheetos cheese ball
  •  

Devlyn

Starts with a lower case "c"? There can't be any real Cheese in those!
  •  

Kevin Peña

Paella Valenciana. Shrimp, beef, rice, chicken, vegetables in a mix. This and a side of beans. YUMMY!!
  •  

Jamie D

Quote from: DianaP on August 28, 2012, 05:17:38 PM
Paella Valenciana. Shrimp, beef, rice, chicken, vegetables in a mix. This and a side of beans. YUMMY!!

There has been a whole discussion about paella.  Our resident expert is Alexis.
  •  

Devlyn

You'll never come up with a "Paella 101" thread!
  •  

Dawn Heart

Ok, it's been so long since I was here last that I forgot about this thread and glad I re-discovered it. Lately, my comfort food has been either pizza, burgers, taco dip, or tortilla chips.   
  •  

jesse

homemade black rasberry icecream it reminds me of when i was little and living in vermont
like a knife that cuts you the wound heals but them scars those scars remain
  •  

MaidofOrleans

Mac and Cheese,  my fav!
"For transpeople, using the right pronoun is NOT simply a 'political correctness' issue. It's core to the entire struggle transpeople go through. Using the wrong pronoun means 'I don't recognize you as who you are.' It means 'I think you're confused, delusional, or mentally I'll.'. It means 'you're not important enough for me to acknowledge your struggle.'"
  •  

Dawn Heart

Mac N Cheese is always good!
  •  

Ms. OBrien CVT

Polish Kielbasa and Sour Kraut/Apples

It does not take courage or bravery to change your gender.  It takes fear of living one more day in the wrong one.~me
  •  

Kevin Peña

Peanut Butter Crunch cereal and some 2% milk.
  •