Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

I hate the word Sir

Started by DoctorInternet333, February 12, 2013, 04:51:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Gentleboy

I've always hated the word ma'am.
Not because of its female roots but because in comparison to sir it just seems so flimsy and unsubstantial. Sir is really snappy and fast and ma'am just seems so sloooow and heavy.

Sir is overused but its because most of these people's jobs they HAVE to portray formality and submissiveness to get paid (and get tips). It may hurt but in their eyes they are trying to treat you with the utmost respect, they just dont know the pain its causing. I'd be more sceptical of those not using Sir/Maam!

Gentleboy

•  

Sea

I get what you mean; I do not like the word Madame. I am FTM.
Yes, it's tiresome for me as well but I do not tell them to stop. They might think I'm weirder than I already am and laugh at me.
I don't hold it against anyone though, they were just trying being nice and civil. It would be perfect if we were born in the right body.
Stay strong, miss.
  •  

iKate

I hate:
Sir
Buddy
Man

I am none of the above.
  •  

femmebutt

Why can't they just leave it off!? "Thank you" is still a perfectly complete message. "Is there anything else I can get you?", "need any help?"- those don't seem like they're missing anything! ......It's starting to bug me too I guess!  I can only imagine if it continues when I start presenting as female in public... I'd be :(((
hybrid
  •  

iKate

Quote from: femmebutt on April 22, 2015, 03:25:36 PM
Why can't they just leave it off!? "Thank you" is still a perfectly complete message. "Is there anything else I can get you?", "need any help?"- those don't seem like they're missing anything! ......It's starting to bug me too I guess!  I can only imagine if it continues when I start presenting as female in public... I'd be :(((

I agree.

Yesterday I had a bizarre moment.

I was presenting male, I was working that day.

I went to get some breakfast. I have never been there before. One of the cooks points to me with his chin, "can I help you buddy?" I immediately gave him the "WTF?" look.

Then the girl working next to him motioned him to go back to what he was doing (frying eggs)  She said, "can I help you sweetie?"

That gave me flashbacks of Obama being accused of sexism when referring to a female reported as "sweetie." But hey ok, I am confused though, did she call me by a male or female greeting?

Then I ordered my stuff. The next person came up, a woman. Greeted with the same thing. Okay then.

But I did not notice how she greeted men.

I kind of really didn't mind, because I don't like "sir" at all. At the same time it was weird and gender ambiguous. Then again I wasn't presenting female so why should I expect a female greeting anyway.
  •  

Valwen

Sir, my legal name, really all male pronouns bother me. I described it to my therapist as being like getting poked, one or twice is annoying but not too bad but, I work a service job and get sir ed about 100 times a shift by the end of that I am a wreck

--Serena
What is a Lie when it's at home? Anyone?
Is it the depressed little voice inside? Whispering in my ear? Telling me to give up?
Well I'm not giving up. Not for that part of me that hates myself. That part wants me to wither and die. not for you. Never for you.  --Loki: Agent of Asgard

Started HRT Febuary 21st 2015
First Time Out As Myself June 8th 2015
Full Time June 24th 2015
  •  

sparrow

I visited a good friend of mine.  I found it weirdly abrasive that she spent the whole time calling me "dude" and "man" and "bro".  She's a hippie.  She uses fratspeak ironically.  She calls everybody, male of female, those things.  Bah.  Sometimes, just gotta let it go.
  •  

Angelgrl

I still get "sired" at times and I have been living full time as a woman for over 8 years or so.  Lately it has been occurring more often, it could be because I had to go off HRT for 4 months to undergo chemotherapy, do not know really.  I am back on HRT though.  When people do sir me too much I end up telling them that I am not a man.  They are silent after that.

Angelgrl
  •  

Elena1270

Quote from: Sophia Hawke on March 22, 2014, 09:37:22 AM
I honestly think some people do it to be dicks.  Esp if you are wearing makeup, have highly visible boobs(real or not).   I really don't think I was called sir too often pre-transition now I get it all the time.

I agree. I am still presenting as male and I dont get called sir very often. They do it to put you down and embarrass you. They want to let you know that they will ALWAYS consider you to be male no matter what you do.
  •  

Daria67

Yeah  it grates on the nerves. I dress female but am pre-HRT so it is obvious I am am still  sadly physically male. Still, I have been out with girl friends who use the proper name and pronouns, and have encountered people who seem to go out of their way to 'sir' me, even while I have two skirts in my hand at the store.

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk

"Around here we don't look backwards for very long. We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious...and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney

"I am not changing who I am. I am becoming who I am."
  •  

RobynD

I still get sirs about 20% of the time. I don't like the term but i try not to be offended. Sometimes i correct, sometimes i don't depending on the tone i perceive.

Similar to Kate i had an interaction the other day where the guy server called me sir, and the woman corrected him, took over the transaction and said "what can i get you hon". That was really good of her. That is probably more common in the south and rural areas than here but you do get hon once in a while.

To be fair services employees need to address people to keep them moving in the system, and there is not a really widely used term for addressing some in a neutral way. (although hon is ok i guess, and a woman TSA agent called me sweetie ) Sometimes they act quickly on whatever visual clues they perceive and there you go. The ones's that do it to be unkind though, yeah not a lot of empathy for them.

•  

Yuusui

My wife and I enjoy going to the mall and seeing how many times we get referee to as ma'am or ladies. It happens a surprising amount of the time even when I am dressed in complete boy mode.

Recently while picking up lunch, the server ma'amed me while the cashier sirred me while they were standing next to each other.

Kylo

I like being called Sir.

The ma'am, madam, miss, lady .etc is getting rarer and rarer. I appreciated that people would bother to say something polite when they said it, or that they were trying to be polite and all but it just reminds you instantaneously of your wrongful place in the world.

I appreciate just about everyone I know now has started calling me man, dude, bro or whatever without me ever even asking them to. But the ones that mean the most are things like brother and son from family members.

I was prepared to never hear anyone say anything like it and for them to deny my existence or the difference entirely. I guess I'm lucky.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."
  •  

Janes Groove

Yesterday, I was on the phone with my bank customer service agent. I still have my old name on the account.  So naturally he started sirring me like crazy. Thought I'd have some fun with it so I went into hyper-femme voice.  I could tell he was a little unnerved. But I really couldn't help myself.  It was like a defensive reaction.  I'm so wicked.
  •  

Koroside

I'm not "full time" so I don't really have the right to be salty if I'm sirred, but it does make me feel old!!
  •  

Angela Drakken

Quote from: DoctorInternet333 on February 12, 2013, 04:51:36 AM
The one thing that seems to get to me down more than anything else is when, in a shop, or a restaurant, or somewhere like that, the assistant keeps repeating sir after nearly every sentence. I don't mind it being uttered once or twice, but after every sentence? Sometimes he or she might have said 15 or 20 sirs for one transaction. I feel like saying to them, 'stop saying sir, I'm not the prime minister' and 'I hate being a man'. Would I be laughed at, probably not, but it wouldn't solve the problem because it would happen elsewhere again, so what's the point!? It would upset me even more if I retaliated. I hope that others can relate to what I'm saying.  >:(

That seems to be overkill to me and no longer being polite anymore. They just really want to call you sir, perhaps making a point? Perhaps a nervous tick? (along the lines of 'like' or 'um'?)

I never liked being called 'sir.' I'm not a knight, I hold no position or rank of honors. I used to respond in a fairly hostile manner with 'Sir was my father, not me.' Now I just give the 'you (expletive) kidding me?' face and afterwards they just kinda refrain from saying sir or anything definitive at all, or rebound to 'miss' on their own.

The phone gets frustrating at times, when the bank refuses to tell me what they're calling about without going through a mile long questionaire. 'This message is for (deadname) can you make sure they call us back at their earliest convenience?' 'Uhm...speaking?' 'This message is for the primary account holder, and we can't inform you of the nature of the call, can you have them call us back at their earliest convenience?' After this back and forth and I confirm my birthdate and whatever, it goes back to normal. Come to think of it, the pharmacy did the same thing last week, and upon hanging up still wasn't convinced I was who they were supposed to be talking to, and left with 'Their prescription will be ready for pickup this afternoon, so if you can relay the message that will be great.'

For the most part people don't call me anything though, which to me is better than the wrong thing.
  •  

Koroside

Quote from: Angela Drakken on February 27, 2017, 09:22:54 AM
That seems to be overkill to me and no longer being polite anymore. They just really want to call you sir, perhaps making a point? Perhaps a nervous tick? (along the lines of 'like' or 'um'?)
To be fair I did a similar thing (nervous tick) while working in a shop. I didn't know if someone I was serving was trans, or an overly OTT gay guy. I had to ask a question on the customer's behalf to a manager while they were in earshot, so I was using ungendered terms so as not to offend in case I was wrong, and it just came out really awkward, like I was someone from Tumblr who believes in "nonbinary" haha.

But yeah, I agree it does sound like overkill,,,
  •  

RavenMoon

I don't care too much. But that's because I'm not really presenting as female yet. I will occasionally get called "miss" which I love! But then they realize and apologize. Lol.
I'm honest with myself about the way I look. I'm not yet passible so I don't even try.

But oddly enough when I think I totally look like a guy, I'll have someone like my landlord call and asked who was the lady going in my place with my son (he's 25, and 5'11", and she's seen him before.. she has web cams and lives in another state). I laughed and said that was me. She seemed confused and said "no, it was a woman." I just said "that was me. I have long hair." Lol

So maybe I look better than I think I do.  But it's all about visual cues. After I have my facial hair removed and get some FFS then I'll be ready!

Funny story... I was in a super market once, in the self check out. I looked like I normally do with my nails painted and had on very tight skinny jeans.

A young guy said "excuse me miss" and I looked at him and said "do I look like a lady to you?!?" He turned red. I must have been in a cranky mood and wanted to mess with him. Lol. In the end I'm just me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  •  

Mikka55

Ohhhh I know I have more of a male appearance,  and because my job is a cook.  I really hate it when people tell me oh Kevs you are a male you are strong lift/carry this for me please.  First off I am not really that strong,  second I hate it when just because I am "male" you automatically assume I am strong.  I can "help" you but why am I doing your job too.  I hated it when people say oh you are a guy lift this for me.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

•  

VeronicaLynn

I hate it too, though I used to work in customer service, and actually got in trouble if the manager heard me not calling customers Sir/Ma'am...I'm sure other people are trained like this as well...
  •