Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Transgender songs?

Started by Alexis2107, November 20, 2014, 09:09:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alexis2107

So, I was thinking about (good) songs for/about transgenders.  I only know of two on top of my head... Lola by the Kinks and Walk On The Wild Side by Lou Reed.  Any others?  :)
~ Lexi ~

HRT 11/5/14
Full Time woman 3/12/15
  •  

rachel89

I cannpt think of any specifically transgender songs right now, but I will look. There are some transgender artists like Dana International and of course Laura Jane Grace.

•  

Miss_Bungle1991

"Daddy's Little Girl" by the Grindcore band, Cretin. The vocalist/guitarist in the band is a transchick.
  •  

angie

not sure if you're into punk rock or not but if you are against me latest album is called transgender dysphoria blues 4 or 5 transgender songs on there. My favs are F### My Life 666 and true trans soul rebel! Rachel mentioned Laura Jane grace and lately I just can't get enough of this album, not sure why,  I've always liked against me and this album just relates!
:icon_chick:
  •  

Clhoe G

I know it's not for every one being heavy heavy metal but slipknot has a lot of angry songs about being yourself n not giving a >-bleeped-< what people think like
before I forget (a bit of a trigger)
N a rather heavy one called surfacing
but they do have a lot of trigger songs, just a warning.  >:-)

Before I forget is one of my favorites, tho it's not exactly a transgender song but part of it's lyrics goes
"Iam a world before Iam a man, I will remember before I forget, before I forget that" 
Thank-you scorpions...

For looking like Goth lobsters.  :laugh:

Quote.
-Jimmy fallon-

Wow, I could have sworn I've been on HRT for longer.
O well this ticker will help me keep track.

•  

Jill F

•  

Phoenix_2812

I always thought Brave by Sara Bareilles was a great track, it's the lyrics that make me think of transgender stuff.
"When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us." -Helen Keller
  •  

Alexis2107

Quote from: Clhoe G on November 22, 2014, 03:39:04 AM
I know it's not for every one being heavy heavy metal but slipknot has a lot of angry songs about being yourself n not giving a >-bleeped-< what people think like
before I forget (a bit of a trigger)
N a rather heavy one called surfacing
but they do have a lot of trigger songs, just a warning.  >:-)

Before I forget is one of my favorites, tho it's not exactly a transgender song but part of it's lyrics goes
"Iam a world before Iam a man, I will remember before I forget, before I forget that"

xD I love heavy metal, especially slipknot.  I range from light rock, hard rock, industrial, metal, heavy metal, deth metal.... to country, classical, jazz.  I can pretty much say I like nearly any type of music, except, rap :)
~ Lexi ~

HRT 11/5/14
Full Time woman 3/12/15
  •  

captains

Huge plug for the incredible song "Demons" by Hirstbird: hirstbird.bandcamp.com/track/demons

QuoteThis is a song I wrote for my mama and my papa
And all my friends back home
This is a song I wrote for my two older brothers
When I called them on the phone, and I said,
"I'm going by a new name now
That I picked out on my own
So don't you worry about the boy
Who was your sister"

I wonder who is gonna love me
If I don't fit the mold
I wonder if I'll have regrets
Later on when I am old, but
There's one thing that I know for sure:
I've always done just what I'm told
So I will try to leave this girl
And not to miss her
- cameron
  •  

androgynouspainter26

Antony and the Johnsons, all the way.
My gender problem isn't half as bad as society's.  Although mine is still pretty bad.
  •  

ElDudette

Bad Suns - Salt,  written by Christo Bowman, inspired by a friend dealing with GID,

the official music video is magnificently done, but heavy on triggering images/scene, so careful  if you go hunt it down,

strait music, not the offical video

I'll also second the mention of Against Me!'s  Transdysphoria Blues, great album start to finish.
"Sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes, well, he eats you." --The Stranger, The Big Lebowski

"Does the caterpillars dream of one day taking to the sky on gossamer wings?
  •  

Tiffers

Pretty Boy by Young Galaxy is a good one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  •  

Bethany_Dawn

I really like Against Me's song The Ocean. In my mind this was Laura Jane's coming out to herself when she wrote it.

•  

Ally_B

Quote from: Jill F on November 22, 2014, 03:42:58 AM
Every song I play or sing.

I know the feeling. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Don't stop to ask;
Now you've found a break to make it last.
You've got to find a way,
Say what you want to say;
Breakout
  •  

PucksWaywardSon

if you're into fantasy/folk music check out Alexander James Adams, his first few albums as AJ feature his old voice as Heather Alexander in duet with himself (Wintertide album) and a bunch of fantasy metaphors for transition (Balance of Nature album) I posted some links over in the Pagan thread to a couple of those songs earlier in the week.
Identifying As: Gamer Nerd, Aspiring actor, Wanderer, Shakespeare junkie. Transguy. time I lost the probably there... Hi, I'm Jamie.
  •  

Jenniferinutah

So there is a song by the band "The Cure" that I maintain, is about the transgender bomb going off in a marriage of many years. Its one of my all time favorite albums called "Bloodflowers". The song is aptly named "The loudest sound." Coincidentally the original guitarist for the band is also a mtf TS.
Do Good, Have Fun, Harm no one!

•  

ElDudette

Quote from: Jenniferinutah on November 28, 2014, 11:56:32 AM
So there is a song by the band "The Cure" that I maintain, is about the transgender bomb going off in a marriage of many years. Its one of my all time favorite albums called "Bloodflowers". The song is aptly named "The loudest sound." Coincidentally the original guitarist for the band is also a mtf TS.

"About my biggest fear about the future: it was inspired by staring an old couple walking along the beach in front of my house." - Robert Smith

Though after reading the lyrics, I can very much see the tone of 'destructive revelation' being an easy fit with all the stories I've read of people's  marriages collapsing from coming out.

"Sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes, well, he eats you." --The Stranger, The Big Lebowski

"Does the caterpillars dream of one day taking to the sky on gossamer wings?
  •  

PucksWaywardSon

Also I have a playlist of songs that probably aren't deliberately written that way, but putting your own context on the lyrics they take on a new meaning, some fit better than others but mine includes:

Somebody Told Me (The Killers)
He Lives In You (From the Lion King stage show)
Epiphany (Staind)
Rebel Rebel (David Bowie)
Wake Me Up (Avicii)
Girls & Boys (Blur)
Captain Crash and the Beauty Queen from Mars (Bon Jovi)
I Want To Break Free (Queen)
Beneath You're Beautiful (Labyrinth/Emeli Sande)
Not That Girl (from Wicked)
Identifying As: Gamer Nerd, Aspiring actor, Wanderer, Shakespeare junkie. Transguy. time I lost the probably there... Hi, I'm Jamie.
  •  

MCMCyn

Brickface & Stucco by The Lunachicks

Brickface grew his short hair long
Bought some wigs and tried them all on
Cheap perfume and old lame'
Gonna wax his legs today

rachel89

right now, my TG song is Paralytic States by Against Me. :'(

She could hear them f*cking through those thin hotel walls
…She heard baby’s crying, she heard laughter, she heard sirens
Red and blue lights flashing through those cheap hotel drapes
Blood spilled out on the porcelain
The bathtub’'s overflowing

Paralytic states of dependency
Our waking life’'s just a living dream
Agitated states of amazement
Never quite the woman that she wanted to be

Spread out face down on those stained, cheap hotel sheets
She spent the last years of her life running from the boy she used to be
Cut her face wide open, shaved the bone down, then pumped her lips up exaggerated,
A f*cked up kind of feminine

Our waking life’'s just a living dream

Night time at the hotel, there was fighting in the hall
Thin chain lock to keep the world out, she held her breath till it was gone
Standing naked in front of that hotel bathroom mirror,
In her dysphoria's affection, she still saw her mother'’s son.

Our waking life'’s just a living dream

By the time the ball dropped, it was already over
No resolutions for the new year beginning tomorrow

•