Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Transgender songs?

Started by Alexis2107, November 20, 2014, 09:09:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ErinReign

I  agree with those mentioning Against Me!, especially 666 and Paralytic States off the new album, but I would probably have to go with Searching for a Former Clarity, along with a few others on the album as the defining songs.
  •  

Ally_B

Quote from: ErinReign on December 25, 2014, 12:55:34 AM
I  agree with those mentioning Against Me!, especially 666 and Paralytic States off the new album, but I would probably have to go with Searching for a Former Clarity, along with a few others on the album as the defining songs.

I looooove SFAFC! Probably my favourite AM! song. Really simple, but oh so effective. I have to agree w/ yr choices from TDB too.... Those songs can get quite emotional for me at times.

But yeah, they're definitely the most heavily trans themed albums in their discography. I find it really interesting to compare the two albums, considering that SFAFC was made while Laura was still in the closet and TDB was, of course, her coming out party. :)
Don't stop to ask;
Now you've found a break to make it last.
You've got to find a way,
Say what you want to say;
Breakout
  •  

Cheska

I can't seem to post a video for some reason but:

Cameron by Jillette Johnson
  •  

Miss_Bungle1991

Even though the song isn't by a transchick or about trans stuff, specifically. The song "Change" by Conor & Jay fits the bill. I remember when I heard that song for the first time on GTA 3, it totally fits with that theme.

As far as Against Me is concerned?  :icon_blah: I think they suck. Yeah, there's a transchick in the band. Yeah, she writes about that sort of thing. But, that isn't enough for me to support them. If I can't get into what they are playing. Then none of that matters to me.
  •  

Ally_B

Quote from: Laura Squirrel on January 07, 2015, 11:09:56 PMAs far as Against Me is concerned?  :icon_blah: I think they suck. Yeah, there's a transchick in the band. Yeah, she writes about that sort of thing. But, that isn't enough for me to support them. If I can't get into what they are playing. Then none of that matters to me.

Eh, to each their own. I probably wouldn't have ever heard them if Laura hadn't come out, but as it turns out, I like their music a lot and the fact that some of the lyrics are trans themed is great because I'd never found music that connected with that part of me.

It's not like yr morally obligated to like AM! because Laura is trans and has trans themes in her music....
Don't stop to ask;
Breakout
  •  

Miss_Bungle1991

Quote from: Ally_B on January 07, 2015, 11:25:38 PM
It's not like yr morally obligated to like AM! because Laura is trans and has trans themes in her music....

:D I know. I'm just a cynical broad that thinks that some people like them only due to the trans connection. But, I'm just cynical and full of hate.  :D :D :P (Not to mention having a screwed sense of humor.)
  •  

Ally_B

Quote from: Laura Squirrel on January 07, 2015, 11:32:14 PM
:D I know. I'm just a cynical broad that thinks that some people like them only due to the trans connection. But, I'm just cynical and full of hate.  :D :D :P (Not to mention a screwed sense of humor.)

I know, after all you listen to A.C.! lol

Which I was also this morning, to ease the pain of being stuck on a crowded train (complete w/ smelly old man cramping my personal space and murdering my sense of smell) for an hr and a half!
Don't stop to ask;
Breakout
  •  

Miss_Bungle1991

Quote from: Ally_B on January 07, 2015, 11:40:06 PM
I know, after all you listen to A.C.! lol

:D :D True...true.

Even my anthro fanfic character that is inspired by myself (but she's a GG), is an A.C. fan.
  •  

Ally_B

Quote from: Laura Squirrel on January 07, 2015, 11:51:03 PM
:D :D True...true.

Even my anthro fanfic character that is inspired by myself (but she's a GG), is an A.C. fan.

GG.... As in Allin? Who wrote a song called.... Oh dear lord, it's all coming together.... :o
Don't stop to ask;
Breakout
  •  

Miss_Bungle1991

Quote from: Ally_B on January 07, 2015, 11:55:12 PM
GG.... As in Allin? Who wrote a song called.... Oh dear lord, it's all coming together.... :o

No.  :D :D She's a genetic girl. (Although I do like some old GG Allin stuff)
  •  

Ally_B

Quote from: Laura Squirrel on January 07, 2015, 11:56:43 PM

I figured that's what you meant, but I couldn't pass up the opportunity for a dumb joke! :D
Don't stop to ask;
Breakout
  •  

Miss_Bungle1991

Quote from: Ally_B on January 07, 2015, 11:57:52 PM
I figured that's what you meant, but I couldn't pass up the opportunity for a dumb joke! :D

:D :D Of course.
  •  

Ally_B

Erm, and to get back on topic.... Here is a song from one of my favourite bands, the Manic Street Preachers....

BORN A GIRL
Do I look good for you tonight
Will you accuse me as I hide
Behind these layers of disguise
And the mirrors of my own happiness

I've loved the freedom of being inside
Need a new start and a different time
Something grows in the space between me
And it's twisting and changing this fragile body

And I wish I had been born a girl
Instead of what I am
Yes I wish I had been born a girl
And not this mess of a man

The censorship of my skin
Is screaming inside and from within
There's no room in this world for a girl like me
No place around there where I fit in

And I wish I had been born a girl
Instead of what I am
Yes I wish I had been born a girl
And not this mess of a man

And as an extra bonus, here's a cool li'l write up about the Manics + gender....

oneweekoneband.tumblr.com/post/66185992048/this-mess-of-a-man-the-manics-and-masculinity
Don't stop to ask;
Breakout
  •  

BunnyBee

I love poppy punk, so ofc I second those AM! songs that have been mentioned.  That's abt max heavy music for me.  Namoli Brennet is another trans singer songwriter type, I think she is good, esp recent album We Were Born To Rise.

While not specifically trans, Fiona Apple's album Extraordinary Machine reeeealllly really resonated with me when I was first transitioning.  Here are some lyrics from the song Better Version Of Me and you can start to see why:

QuoteSo I will keep a delibrate pace
And let the damned breeze dry my face

Oh, mister wait until you see
what I'm gonna be

I've got a plan, a demand, and it just began
And if you're right, you'll agree

Here's coming a better version of me

...It still brings tears to my eyes, I won't lie.

•  

ChiGirl

I feel like "Brave" by Sara Bareilles has been my anthem lately.

I always felt like Billy Joel's "Code of Silence" was written about me and the lyrics resonate with me.

But you swore to yourself a long time ago
There were some things that people never needed to know
Guess there's one that you keep
That you bury so deep
No one can tear it out

And you can't talk about it
And isn't that a kind of madness
To be living by a code of silence
When you've really got a lot to say

I also like some of the lyrics in Sinead O'Conner's "The Emperor's New Clothes." 

I see plenty of clothes that I like
But I won't go anywhere nice for a while
All I want to do is just sit here
And write it all down and rest for a while

Whatever it may bring
I will live by my own policies
I will sleep with a clear conscience
I will sleep in peace
  •  

Ara

Hey!

I have a few suggestions, they're quite different but I think that's important.
This one is Fagette by Athens Boys Choir.  It's about being a pansexual trans guy.  I like the sound of it and how he's very open about having a vagina and being a queer man.  It's also really body positive, sex positive and just quite catchy!  I don't have much else to say about it, I'm not a queer transgender guy.

This next one makes a lot of people uncomfortable, so beware!  The opening lines refer to genital mutilation, in my mind they're simply metaphorical for casting off a masculine identity and then casting off the feminine identity as well.  That's right, it's a NON BINARY song :D  Patrick Wolf, the singer, is a bisexual male and I think either identifies as a man or as androgynous.  I like how it doesn't go talk about physical dysphoria, wanting to be seen in a certain way or anything like that.  It talks about being your own hero, becoming strong and not letting people hold you down.  (Some of those were actually lines in the song.) 
I don't think everyone will like it.  It's one of my personal favourites to be honest.  I'm (probably... I'm new to this but pretty sure at this stage) a trans woman who doesn't identify as particularly feminine or masculine, and gender has mostly hurt me throughout my life.  Transitioning for me is as much about casting off gender as it is about physically moving from one body to another.  I'm not becoming a woman in the sense of attaining a particular social role, because I personally don't think that's a definition of woman that we should be aspiring to.  Women should be able to be anything, and trans women should be able to become anything. 
That's what I get out of this song.  In particular I do really like the graphic lines at the beginning.  It's shocking, but to most people so are gender reassignment surgeries.  I like the idea of cis-people in particular being shocked by these lines because it claims them as ours.

I'd like to hear other people's opinions on this song.  Feel free to message me about it if you have thoughts (can we do that over this forum?). 

Reading list:
1.  Whipping Girl
2.  Transfeminist Perspectives
3.  ?????

•  

AquaWhatever

my dad showed me this song. It helps me look at my transition in a comedic way.
;D or when I need a good laugh.
  •  

Jill F

Quote from: Laura Squirrel on January 07, 2015, 11:56:43 PM

All GG Allin stuff is old now.  *le sigh*  Oh well, file him under "dead rock stars I've partied with".  Sadly, that list gets longer every year.
  •  

Miss_Bungle1991

Quote from: Jill F on January 22, 2015, 01:04:51 AM
All GG Allin stuff is old now.  *le sigh*  Oh well, file him under "dead rock stars I've partied with".  Sadly, that list gets longer every year.

Yeah, but I meant "80's GG".
  •  

Ange

I know one which is very very very unknown and very very very good, but it's a french song... It's based on a poem from Louis Aragon (a very famous XX century poet)

"La Folle", which could be translated by "the mad" or "the queen". Aragon used to transvestite a lot at the end of his life. This poem is really beautiful, sadly it's hard to translate and I'm not really confident in my ability to do it.

The last two verses :
"The real 'mads' are the ones
That pretend to be someone they are not"

However if you understand french you will enjoy it I'm sure.

It's one of my favorites.
Tell me what your definition of "man" and "woman" is, I'll tell you which I am. Not the other way around.
  •