Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

so what actually is age appropiate.

Started by stephaniec, June 08, 2016, 11:11:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stephaniec

can a 64 year old wear skirts and dresses just above the knees and do they need to wear slacks and black  walking shoes with no heel elevation. I'm just curious because at this point I buy all my clothes at Target because of price and because the fit is perfect and I love the styles. I'm guessing the styles are for more 20 -30 year old's. I cant wear what a lot of woman my age wear because it's not right for me. I see a lot of woman my age and older have the same style I do , but I also see most younger woman also have the style I wear. So , What I'm asking is am I crossing the boundary of good taste especially when I add my favorite designer fishnets. Personally I don't care if I'm a fashion   risk taker. I had on my psychedelic leggings the other day and a pretty blue and white print body shaped dress that comes just above the knees. I guess my brain is distorted from my Hippie days.
  •  

RobynD

I think the term is like all such terms situational and fluid. The mean of dress also varies considerably from urban to rural and regionally.

I see older women wear very bold colors. Maybe not fishnets, but leggings, tights etc. I think sometimes an older transgender woman could be stereotyped for wearing certain styles more than a CIS woman of the same age, but both will attract attention with a bold style. To me fishnets sort of say - rockin new years eve party, or club wear but i do think they are great.

I too buy a fair amount of clothes from Target but i also get stuff from H&M which i think has an even younger vibe. Still, i would describe my style as "soccer mom". I wear jeans and wedges, jeans and sandals, jeans and boots in the summer. My tops are usually lands end, LL bean, or maybe on the "wild" side, some peasant top. When i wear skirts or dresses my legs are bare in the summer or in tights in the winter. I see women from 20s to 70s in my style.

I always strove to be "age appropriate" despite its ambiguousness, mainly because i was scared about reinforcing stereotypes of trans women but i think or worry about that less now. I just ended up liking the style that i chose. Like all style though it continues to be refined.

•  

Deborah

Age appropriate is also location and situation dependent.

For example, if I go to Walmart I see all the women wearing jeans or shorts, running shoes, sanders, or flip flops, and t-shirt or informal button shirt.

Wearing anything too far outside that norm would be very unusual except maybe Sunday after Church and even that is regional.

So just look and see what the majority of others are wearing.

Sapere Aude
Love is not obedience, conformity, or submission. It is a counterfeit love that is contingent upon authority, punishment, or reward. True love is respect and admiration, compassion and kindness, freely given by a healthy, unafraid human being....  - Dan Barker

U.S. Army Retired
  •  

stephaniec

I live across the street from a University and smack dab in the center of down town so everyone just about wears dresses. There is also a lot of leggings which I like.
  •  

stephaniec

I think people should wear fishnets more often. I get mine from Target . I just bpoght some with a really pretty design on them. They make my legs look pretty good. I have slightly swollen knees from my rheumatoid , but the fishnets help distract that.
  •  

alex82

Quote from: stephaniec on June 08, 2016, 11:11:07 AM
can a 64 year old wear skirts and dresses just above the knees and do they need to wear slacks and black  walking shoes with no heel elevation. I'm just curious because at this point I buy all my clothes at Target because of price and because the fit is perfect and I love the styles. I'm guessing the styles are for more 20 -30 year old's. I cant wear what a lot of woman my age wear because it's not right for me. I see a lot of woman my age and older have the same style I do , but I also see most younger woman also have the style I wear. So , What I'm asking is am I crossing the boundary of good taste especially when I add my favorite designer fishnets. Personally I don't care if I'm a fashion   risk taker. I had on my psychedelic leggings the other day and a pretty blue and white print body shaped dress that comes just above the knees. I guess my brain is distorted from my Hippie days.

I think it depends. If you've got great legs then certainly an above the knee skirt will look great. 64 is not old. My mother is 61 - she wears an inch or two above the knee and looks great, but she's quite a classic dresser, and her knees are good, her calves are slim but shaped, and the whole leg does taper down to very fine ankles.

I guess that old adage fits here - one thing only - legs OR cleavage. Not both.

If you love your fishnets, wear them with confidence, but if you want an open opinion, yes, they cross the bounds of taste - on anyone, cis or trans, young or old.
  •  

stephaniec

so, just as a benign generic question in reference only to the post topic is Dolly Parton age appropriate being that she's 70 years old.
  •  

Devlyn

I don't care about age. When they said Caitlyn was going to model for SI, I was all over it. She's fit and I  want to check her out even though she's 65. To the rest of the world: If you're not fit, stay out of the spandex aisle!  :laugh:

Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

stephaniec

that's why I like dresses that flare out , my tummy still too big, but I' working on it.
  •  

stephaniec

I'd like to get some pencil skirts , but my tummy is too big.
  •  

alex82

Quote from: stephaniec on June 08, 2016, 12:17:37 PM
so, just as a benign generic question in reference only to the post topic is Dolly Parton age appropriate being that she's 70 years old.

Dolly Parton is Dolly Parton appropriate, and that's about it.

If she worked in an office, no, it wouldn't work. But she doesn't. She's a performer - stage clothes are in a different category all together. That'd be like a regular guy going around dressed as Prince or Elvis in daily life - he'd be noticed. You probably couldn't go to a regular job dressed that way and be taken seriously - whether cis or trans.

Nothing is so much age appropriate as figure appropriate. If you have the figure, flaunt it. If not, please don't.
  •  

alex82

Quote from: stephaniec on June 08, 2016, 12:25:21 PM
I'd like to get some pencil skirts , but my tummy is too big.

Pencil skirts look great on most people. You can hide your tummy with a big top.

I had to go to an appointment dressed - I wore a black Versace blazer with the gold medusa head buttons (had it for years), an open black shirt from Zara, black Givenchy skinny jeans, rolled up above the ankles, that i got at a huge sale, and black Jimmy Choo shoes - https://dtpmhvbsmffsz.cloudfront.net/posts/2014/06/11/5398bf932d249047af3b097e/s_5398bf9a2d249047af3b0998.jpg - I love them, with a black leather Gucci bag that had been my mothers in the 70's.

Then just heavy on the eye make up - which I like, Guerlain foundation and blusher, clear standard vaseline on lips, Hermes Caleche perfume, and that's it. My hair is kind of a unisex blonded mop anyway.

I think that's pretty much what someone of my age would wear for appointments around town, and I'd wear it to work or to a bar after with no problem.
  •  

Denise

Stephanie consider TJ Maxx, Marshalls, Burlington coat factory.  All three are about four blocks west of the red line's Roosevelt stop.  (Chicago)

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

1st Person out: 16-Oct-2015
Restarted Spironolactone 26-Aug-2016
Restarted Estradiol Valerate: 02-Nov-2016
Full time: 02-Mar-2017
Breast Augmentation (Schechter): 31-Oct-2017
FFS (Walton in Chicago): 25-Sep-2018
Vaginoplasty (Schechter): 13-Dec-2018

A haiku in honor of my grandmother who loved them.

The Voices are Gone
Living Life to the Fullest
I am just Denise
  •  

RobynD

I also do not agree that what you wear is figure dependent. Body acceptance means that larger people look great in tight stuff if that is what they choose to wear. I'm not plus size and i am still amazed at how much clothing is only available in the very low sizes. Entire lines are like that.

Fat bodies are beautiful, thin and everything in between. No matter what the gender expression or age.

I saw a lady out yesterday - she had to be size 20. Tight dress - rocking tall heels and she was probably 6'0+ with heels on. She looked confident and great.

•  

Ms Grace

Quote from: stephaniec on June 08, 2016, 11:43:27 AM
I think people should wear fishnets more often.

Despite being very leggy myself I will probably never wear fishnets. For some reason I just never like the look of them doesn't matter who is wearing them. But each to their own!
Grace
----------------------------------------------
Transition 1.0 (Julie): HRT 1989-91
Self-denial: 1991-2013
Transition 2.0 (Grace): HRT June 24 2013
Full-time: March 24, 2014 :D
  •  

Quote from: stephaniec on June 08, 2016, 11:11:07 AM
What I'm asking is am I crossing the boundary of good taste especially when I add my favorite designer fishnets.

Umm... yes, 64 is too old for fishnets.

•  

Sarah leah

I hate fishnets they make me cringe for some reason. It conjures the preverbal "mutton dressed like lamb" quote for me as I work with a few 60+ women and they bitch a lot about women's fashion.

I see them wear this kind of thing a lot:

-knee length dresses that dip only slightly at the bust to give an inch of cleavage.
-layers of flowing tops with pants
-knee length flared skirts with dark tights/leggings or no lights.

Also things like these outfits look nice on older ladies as it is still fashionable and the women I work with all dress these sort of way.

A straight line may be the shortest distance between two points, but it is by no means the most interesting
  •  

abd789

I think you should wear anything your little heart desires.... ;D
  •  

KyleeKrow

I have a cis  woman friend who is about your age and she looks fine dressing the way she does. She doesn't believe in dressing according to one's age. She just dresses in the things she likes.
  •  

lostcharlie

going to go out on a limb here......  wear what ever makes YOU happy !

•