Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

What do you think about trans trenders ?

Started by Tatiana 79, July 11, 2018, 01:02:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kylo

Quote from: Danielle Kristina on July 19, 2018, 02:20:20 AM
I still don't see what is so trendy about being trans.  Why would someone go through transition and everything else we go through unless he or she were transgender? 

I would say the increased public awareness and acceptance of the phenomenon has made some people think of it as a means to feel special or to get attention, or perhaps they think it's exciting or interesting to play around with gender.

QuoteSpeaking for myself, I'm not transgender because I think its trendy, fashionable, or cool.  I'm transgender because I'm transgender.  I believe that this is true for most of us who say they are trans.

I would say the same, most of us wouldn't say it's a picnic to be trans, with the risks of violence or ostracism or being potentially thought of as being out of our minds. But I have noticed that "trenders" tended to appear only after it became relatively safe and even celebrated for them to do so. Where it isn't safe, they don't tend to appear. That's why I think in some cases it's little more than attention-seeking.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."
  •  

Michelle_P

Quote from: Kylo on July 19, 2018, 04:11:19 AM
But I have noticed that "trenders" tended to appear only after it became relatively safe and even celebrated for them to do so. Where it isn't safe, they don't tend to appear. That's why I think in some cases it's little more than attention-seeking.

I stayed hidden for decades because it wasn't safe.  When caught and 'fixed' in my youth, some of the counseling I received emphasized that if I regressed I would be involuntarily committed and treated via electroconvulsive and aversion therapy.

Seeing that other transgender persons could come out safely, and perhaps even be accepted (Jenner and others) informed me that the old treatment promised to me really didn't apply any more, and I could come out.  Coming out still wasn't easy. It came at great personal expense.

Am I a trans trender?   I've had former family say that I was just doing this for attention.  Does THAT make me a trans trender?
Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath and fire my spirit.

My personal transition path included medical changes.  The path others take may require no medical intervention, or different care.  We each find our own path. I provide these dates for the curious.
Electrolysis - Hours in The Chair: 238 (8.5 were preparing for GCS, five clearings); On estradiol patch June 2016; Full-time Oct 22, 2016; GCS Oct 20, 2017; FFS Aug 28, 2018; Stage 2 labiaplasty revision and BA Feb 26, 2019
Michelle's personal blog and biography
  •  

Danielle Kristina

Quote from: Michelle_P on July 19, 2018, 11:03:28 AM
I stayed hidden for decades because it wasn't safe.  When caught and 'fixed' in my youth, some of the counseling I received emphasized that if I regressed I would be involuntarily committed and treated via electroconvulsive and aversion therapy.

Seeing that other transgender persons could come out safely, and perhaps even be accepted (Jenner and others) informed me that the old treatment promised to me really didn't apply any more, and I could come out.  Coming out still wasn't easy. It came at great personal expense.

Am I a trans trender?   I've had former family say that I was just doing this for attention.  Does THAT make me a trans trender?

Hi Michelle,

I would not say that makes you a trans trender.  Coming out is scary.  In fact, I still have yet to come out myself.  People are going to say what they want to say regardless of whether or not it's the truth.  My sister came out trans a few years ago and I heard a lot of negative and untrue theories behind transgender people: the "transgender movement" is a conspiracy, transgender people are looking for attention, trans people are mentally ill, etc.  None of this is true, however, but some believe those things are.  Regardless, it is more acceptable to come out transgender today than in previous years and that makes it a little easier to come out today.  People are more openminded today.  Yes, there is still racism, sexism, homophobia, transphobia, etc. and things will never be perfect.  However, they are better than they were in previous generations.  Still, as new generations replace the old, tolerance of others continue to grow, and that makes coming out easier.  While I have not yet come out myself, the only reason I would even consider coming out at all, especially since I witnessed first-hand what my trans sister went through, is the experience and hope all of you on the thread before me have shared.

Am I a trans-trender?  Absolutely not.  I know I'm transgender because of the gender battles I've dealt with since my earliest memories.  Had I not had those internal gender struggles and only wanted to be trans because it somehow became popular, then without a doubt I'd be a trender.

Danielle
April 19, 2018: First post here on Susan's Place
April 27, 2018: First session with my gender therapist
July 30, 2018: Received my HRT letter
September 3,2018: Came our for the first time

Becoming me more every day!!!
  •  

zamber74

It baffles me, that people think that being trans is trendy to begin with.  It is actually insulting, if I thought that coming out to the world would lead to me being embraced by everyone, having people cheering me on, unconditional love and acceptance, I would have done so years ago.  It just goes beyond my level of reasoning to see how people mix transsexual and trendy together. 

You know what, perhaps, just perhaps, in some minor circles it is "trendy", in ultra far left minority spots, which almost no one actually belongs to or even has access to.  But to the vast majority, I don't see it that way.     Back in reality though, where I unfortunately exist, this is not seen as trendy, no one is going to give me a hug when I come out, and tell me how great I am.  More than likely I am going to be equated as some weird sicko, that has a "fetish" and looked down upon.

I absolutely hate the word trans trendy, in so many ways.  I don't feel this way to be trendy, I don't want to eventually transition so I can be trendy.  Who would go through that trouble?  I could be trendy as a guy if I wanted to, if my goal in life was to be trendy, I could achieve it.  Transitioning to me, is the exact opposite, it is full of fear, I don't expect people are going to treat me nicely, I doubt most TG people will even treat me with any decency..  it is just so ridiculous of a concept to me.

I would never consider anyone who is trans, just to be doing it to be trendy.  That is so moronic, it is upsetting to see others honestly feel that way. 

rabble rabble rabble...

Yeah, it upsets me.  I'm sure there are trendy transgenders out there, but I doubt any of them are transgender just to be trendy.
  •  

RobynD

I think many of us have been accused of doing this for attention by some uninformed person or another in our lives. There are a lot more simple and even more effective ways to get attention. I came out before Jenner did and I still had people say things like...."oh you mean like Caitlyn? " geez no, not really.

It is very important for me to second that, nobody needs to be meet anyone's standard of "transness", whether it be blending in, makeup, fashion, activism, whatever. None of this changes the underlying value and identity of the individual or their potential contribution to the world around them.

•  

Devlyn

Quote from: Tatiana 79 on July 11, 2018, 01:02:27 PM
Hey Everyone
I have heard the term trans trendy
and certainly don't want to insult anyone if they're here because of this.
because of my couple months of being here would leave me with very little knowledge of what really goes on in the trans scene,  I thought I would reach out for opinions and if anyone knew someone as such.
To me I can't even imagine someone would put themselves through this just be trendy with the times.
Do to my limited knowledge and experience I thought I would ask all of you what you thought.

Cisgender people tell us that we do it for attention. They're wrong.

If we find ourselves telling another transgender person that they're doing it for attention, we're wrong.

Choose wisely.

Hugs, Devlyn

•  

Devlyn

Quote from: RobynD on July 23, 2018, 11:38:06 AM
I think many of us have been accused of doing this for attention by some uninformed person or another in our lives. There are a lot more simple and even more effective ways to get attention. I came out before Jenner did and I still had people say things like...."oh you mean like Caitlyn? " geez no, not really.

It is very important for me to second that, nobody needs to be meet anyone's standard of "transness", whether it be blending in, makeup, fashion, activism, whatever. None of this changes the underlying value and identity of the individual or their potential contribution to the world around them.

Totally off topic, but I love your new avatar pic.  :)

Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

PlanetEmma

There is a story from France of a CIS girl who was passing herself off as transgender MTF in the belief that it would make her more attractive to other transgender girls. My understanding is that she was young, under 20, and quite a sad story in truth.
  •