Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Why are the pockets on women’s pants often so shallow?

Started by ChrissyRyan, November 12, 2018, 05:27:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lacy

Quote from: ChrissyRyan on November 13, 2018, 06:57:36 PM

Lacy,

I cannot see putting a telephone in a bra either.  I asked around and some women do indeed do that, as well as keeping money and whatever there.

If placed there, and if the telephone was on vibrate and I received a call, would the breasts jiggle?!?  Would it provide a massage?  Would I be calling myself a lot then?   :)  :)

Plus these telephones now can be rather large.  I do not even see how it could fit into my bra. 
On top of the breasts?  If I get a call, do I just reach down there and dig it out in front of everyone too?  During a meeting?

I think I would rather just walk with it in my hands or have it in a purse.  It can also stick out a little from a pocket, maybe an inch or so, but less than half way, otherwise it might drop out as I walk.

Chrissy
I agree. There is a lady I work with who sticks everything in her bra. And yes she digs everything out in front of all of us. Of course us is myself and a dozen cis women.

It would be a little weird if all of a sudden your boob started dancing from phone vobrations!

Hugs,
Lacy

She believed she could so she did!

The continuing story of my new life!

•  

Lacy

Quote from: alyssalove2790 on November 13, 2018, 07:17:17 PM
There are some skirts sewn with pockets! I own one and it's very practical! Deep ones at that, I can stuff my Samsung Galaxy Note 8 in it. They're well hidden though sometimes I have to ruffle my skirt around to find them.  :D

You just have to find them! I like online shops for searching specific features.  ;)

https://www.amazon.ca/BIUBIU-Womens-Flared-Pleated-Pockets/dp/B078W1YLWF/ref=sr_1_sc_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1542158108&sr=8-2-spell&keywords=high%2Bwaist%2Bskirn&th=1
They are also making wedding dresses with pockets! Whoever first thought of that was a genius.

Hugs,
Lacy

•  

Stephanie Vaughan

Absolutely right on the mark! I wore women's jeans long before I transitioned last year, they were always more comfortable and fitted better but the problem with the pockets is very real!
What has made it worse is my contact phone came up for renewal and so I upgraded from a galaxy S7 to the S9 and that's made the issue worse as it's longer than the 7 (I don't like the phone either)
I am lucky in that I can buy everyday jeans from a local store for only $7, they are perfect for my work, they don't last long but then use them for dirty jobs around our property but the pockets are hopeless!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  •  

SeptagonScars

Yeah, it's because big pockets would look "bulky" on tight pants that are meant to show off the body shape. Women's clothes are usually "looks over practicality" while men's clothes the other way around. Women are also more encouraged to put their stuff in bags instead of pockets. Or, alternatively get the men to carry their things for them. At least that's common among straigt couples, I've noticed.

However, women's jackets often have quite decent pockets. Although depends on the style of jacket, but parkas, trenchcoats, some leather jackets, etc usually do. I've a parkas that has 4 very practical pockets and I love that jacket, and although it's not very feminine it is intended for women to wear. It looks unisex though. I've had it for the past 17 years now and it's my very trusty jacket that's been with me through childhood to adulthood, through transition and detransition. And somehow it still fits me. It's just something special about it!

So I usually put my phone and wallet in my jacket pockets instead, if I don't use my shoulder bag for that. And if I'm not wearing a jacket or I'm indoors, then a cardigan with pockets on is very neat. I also stick my phone into my bra sometimes when I use it for listening to music and the headphone wire is short. I don't have boobs but wear breast forms in pockets of mastectomy bras, so I then put the phone basically between my flat chest and the breast form. The phone falls out when I lean forward, but if I don't do that it stays in place.

However I don't usually wear pants at all, as I'm much more comfortable in skirts and dresses instead. Those rarely ever come with any pockets at all. At least not the styles I go for. So that's even more of a reason for me to rely on the pockets on jackets and cardigans. For outfits that have no pockets at all though, I actually wear a waist bag. I've one made of leather in an antique style and with a brass lock-thing. I bought it at a medieval market some years ago. It works with any kinds of belts and I just about fit my samsung smartphone, small wallet, lighter and one pack of cigarettes in it. My keys I have to find another place for.
Mar. 2009 - came out as ftm
Nov. 2009 - changed my name to John
Mar. 2010 - diagnosed with GID
Aug. 2010 - started T, then stopped after 1 year
Aug. 2013 - started T again, kept taking it since
Mar. 2014 - top surgery
Dec. 2014 - legal gender marker changed to male
Jul. 2018 - came out as cis woman and began detransition
Sep. 2018 - stopped taking T and changed my name to Laura
Oct. 2018 - got new ID-card

Medical Detransition plans: breast reconstruction surgery, change legal gender back to female.
  •  

Harley Quinn

You can't get past the fashionable appearance of small or seudo pockets. Placing things in the pocket will "imprint" and ruin the lines of what are generally tight fitting, elastic stretch garments. I have found that less "form fitting" attire usually comes with full size pockets.  Men's suits are not exempt from the fashion of false pockets. Most suits will have pockets sewn shut, that you can have opened; so that they drape better for a sleeker, more professional appearance.
At what point did my life go Looney Tunes? How did it happen? Who's to blame?... Batman, that's who. Batman! It's always been Batman! Ruining my life, spoiling my fun! >:-)
  •  

Amie June

I miss my pockets too, but quickly became a purse gal. And I love my purse - it's become an important part of my transition. I have to have it with me and love the weight of it over my shoulder. I'm looking for something new, something larger, maybe more colorful (mine is black), and have already looked at dozens! It has to be perfect.

And I agree: women don't put things in their pockets :)

Amie June
Came out to myself September 15, 2017
Stopped cutting my hair September 15, 2017
Started gender therapy September 28, 2017
Came out to two female friends and sister December 2017
Came out to adult daughter and her partner January 2018
First appointment with endocrinologist March 21, 2018
Started HRT March 23, 2018
Started laser treatment for facial hair June 28, 2018
Started electrolysis October 11, 2018

"You are woman
and you're beautiful.
Let the world see you."
  •  

MaryT

Some men have deep pockets and short arms so that they can't pay when it's their round.  Traditionally, women don't buy their own drinks, so they don't need deep pockets.

Sorry, I'm temporarily possessed by the spirit of a MCP but I should be OK after the exorcist comes around  tomorrow.
  •  

Devlyn

Quote from: MaryT on November 21, 2018, 10:54:58 AM
Some men have deep pockets and short arms so that they can't pay when it's their round.  Traditionally, women don't buy their own drinks, so they don't need deep pockets.

Sorry, I'm temporarily possessed by the spirit of a MCP but I should be OK after the exorcist comes around  tomorrow.

How did that inner MCP miss the opportunity to say

"Women's pockets are shallow because women are shallow."  :laugh: >:-)
  •  

Linde

Quote from: barbie on November 13, 2018, 07:22:25 AM
As skirts do not have pockets, it would be OK for women's jeans not to have pockets. Actually, some women's jeans do deep and big pockets. Most of my jeans for ladies do have big pockets (brand names such as Calvin Klein).

http://www.ascvicenza.org/most-product/calvin-klein-jeans-womens-boyfriend-fit-light-wash-cropped-jeans-horizon-blue/

barbie~~
But as soon as the jeans are made to look a little cute (like rhinestones on,etc.) the pockets become close to nothing.  I have a Capri type of cute jeans, the front pockets are hardly big enough to hold a single Kleenex!
02/22/2019 bi-lateral orchiectomy

•  

Amie June

One last comment on this topic. I tried on a pair of male Levis yesterday that I haven't worn since my transition. They were new and I was saving them. The frugal gal in me, I suppose. Anyway, I was struck by how weird they looked with their HUGE pockets! And they seemed to ride up way past my belly button! I'm now ready to donate them. It's a relief :)

Hugs
Amie June
Came out to myself September 15, 2017
Stopped cutting my hair September 15, 2017
Started gender therapy September 28, 2017
Came out to two female friends and sister December 2017
Came out to adult daughter and her partner January 2018
First appointment with endocrinologist March 21, 2018
Started HRT March 23, 2018
Started laser treatment for facial hair June 28, 2018
Started electrolysis October 11, 2018

"You are woman
and you're beautiful.
Let the world see you."
  •  

Kylo

"If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."
  •  

barbie

Some of my miniskirts also have shallow pockets just for show.

Sometimes women's clothes are and should be funny.

barbie~~
Just do it.
  •  

ChrissyRyan

Many times shorts have usable or just decorative pockets.  Cargo shorts sure do, but I almost never wear them, usually just when light trail hiking.

I have seen some shorts where the insides of the pockets, often white pouches, hang out in front, down below the leg hems. That is not my look tough, as that raggedy cut-off look is too "distressed style" or teeny for my taste.  Seems like a passing fashion fad, but there are a lot of styles that come and go. 

A set of classic outfits never seem to go out of style.  Some even have some usable pockets!  :)

Chrissy
Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding. Accepting yourself as the woman you are is very liberating.
Never underestimate the appreciation and respect of authenticity.  Be brave, be strong.  Try a little kindness.  I am a brown eyed brunette. 
  •  

Lacy

Quote from: barbie on November 27, 2018, 04:10:51 AM
Some of my miniskirts also have shallow pockets just for show.

Sometimes women's clothes are and should be funny.

barbie~~

Barbie,
You rock those skirts so well! Your have great legs. I am glad you feel comfortable showing them off!

Lacy

•  

ChrissyRyan

I noticed some girl jeans with deep back pockets.  Not huge but they looked about the same size as guy jeans back pockets.  I might have tried them on but I needed to go to the Post Office more than try on some new jeans.

Chrissy
Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding. Accepting yourself as the woman you are is very liberating.
Never underestimate the appreciation and respect of authenticity.  Be brave, be strong.  Try a little kindness.  I am a brown eyed brunette. 
  •  

GingerVicki

Quote from: barbie on November 13, 2018, 07:22:25 AM
As skirts do not have pockets, it would be OK for women's jeans not to have pockets. Actually, some women's jeans do deep and big pockets. Most of my jeans for ladies do have big pockets (brand names such as Calvin Klein).

http://www.ascvicenza.org/most-product/calvin-klein-jeans-womens-boyfriend-fit-light-wash-cropped-jeans-horizon-blue/

barbie~~

Oh my :icon_censored: those jeans have great pockets

There is a thread for that https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,242355.60.html

I've found that in my jeans my wallet works well.
  •  

jaybutterfly

I believe its to make it seem more figure fitting, combined with the somewhat outdated idea that all women carry bags of some variety.
  •  

Linde

Quote from: ChrissyRyan on December 18, 2018, 03:29:45 PM
I noticed some girl jeans with deep back pockets.  Not huge but they looked about the same size as guy jeans back pockets.  I might have tried them on but I needed to go to the Post Office more than try on some new jeans.

Chrissy
I recently bought some with decent sized back pockets.  The front pockets are still very small!  Could it be that the back pockets are bigger, because many females have their cell phones in them?
02/22/2019 bi-lateral orchiectomy

•  

Lyric

I love women's jeans, except for this one issue. It seems to be a war we won't win, though, so I've dealt with it. Bags are fine, but like to carry stuff in my pockets. Luckily, my thin wallet fits well enough in the back pockets of my Levi's mid-rise skinnies, but the front pockets are only 2 1/2 inches deep. This is deep enough to fit my keys, but I like to carry a pen and piece of paper in my pocket all the time. I bought a package of "Palm Key Chain Ballpoint Pens", which are just over 3 inches long and one will fit in the little front pocket perfectly.

Here's an entertaining discussion of the jeans pocket issue I ran across on YouTube recently:

"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life." - Steve Jobs
  •  

ChristineHaylett

Never really noticed as mostly in a nice dress or skirt but I guess because we use hand bags.

It's an amazing place often filled with sweets, wrappers ,hair bands,a purse, money ,a phone, gloves, keys, sunglasses,drinks,papper,pens ,make up,perfume,portable phone charger ,a umbrella my husband candy and a tiny micro usb stick for absolutely no reason at all.

I have no idea how it all fits in there but it does, it's smaller than a piece of A4 paper.
I feel like Mary poppings. X
You will only be truly happy when you learn to accept yourself.
  •