Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

What do you say 2 people who do not understand why YOU would want to transition?

Started by ChrissyRyan, January 26, 2019, 09:22:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChrissyRyan

What do you say to people who do not understand why YOU would want to transition?

Fortunately, people whom I have told about my mtf status have been very accepting, but some others with whom I have not disclosed to but have I brought up the subject of transgenderism and transsexuality have displayed a lack of understanding. 

So, some of the comments below may have been originally stated in the form of "why would someone" instead of the "why would you" form that I show below.  Or in the form "Do they" instead of the "Do you" form that I show below.

Here some questons and comments, I have heard some.  Some are good questions, some not so.

1.  Oh, you are so handsome (or for ftms, I guess they might say that you are so pretty), why in the world would you do this?"  "You are good looking, you would be silly trying to be a woman, and besides, it makes no sense."

2.  "Have you been under a lot of stress?  Have you sought counseling to deal with this mental problem of wanting to be the other sex?  Do you have multiple personalities?"

3.  "You might be gay and this is a way for you to think that you are straight after all."

4.  "Perhaps you can simply be a more feminine man (or I suppose, for ftms, they might say that you can be a 'tomboy'), after all, it is freaky for anyone to be the sex other than the one you were born."

5.  "Why do you want to do this?  Do you think you are a woman?  When did these thoughts begin?"

6.  "Maybe you just want to wear women's clothes.  Is this a fetish?"

7.  "Hey, society is just down on males now.  It is like it is bad to be a guy.  Just try to be a decent man, ignore all that silliness.  We need both men and women, there is nothing wrong with being a man.  Just be a good man."

8.  "You will get beat up at some point if you transition.  There are going to be some people that will taunt you and try to make your life miserable." 

9.  "You will not be able to get a good job.  You will have no employment history.  It is like your past did not exist.  Besides, who wants a guy to show up at work dressed as a woman?  It would be easier to get a job if you are simply gay.  Maybe you are gay and are in denial."

10. "How are you ever going to sound like a woman, did you ever think about that?"

11. "Are you going to get your thing cut off too?"

12. "What have you been smoking?"

13. "Were you abused as child, is that why you are thinking this way?"

14. "This is simply unnatural.  You can't fool Mother Nature."

15. "As you age, you will look sillier."

16. "Life will not be the same for you.  Can you handle that?"

17. "No one would marry you unless they are equally confused.  Maybe if they are gay or perverts.  Few would even want to date you."   

18. "What you want to do is wrong."

19. "This is just a phase probably.  Give this some time.  Sit on these thoughts.  Maybe these thoughts will go away."

20.  "This impacts more people in your life than just you.  You are being incredibly selfish if you go through with this.  If you are married, I doubt your wife would stay with you.  Your friends, customers, and relatives will disown you.  Maybe a few would be accepting.  You will give up a lot."

21.  Are you going to move away and start a new life?  You might have to."

22.  "I love you, but this is a terrible idea... (for some of these reasons noted above.)"

I suppose there are many other things some people may have said along these lines to you or a trans-person that you know.

I simply would answer honestly and hope for the best.

Chrissy

Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding. Accepting yourself as the woman you are is very liberating.
Never underestimate the appreciation and respect of authenticity.  Be brave, be strong.  Try a little kindness.  I am a brown eyed brunette. 
  •  

sarahc

Here's the answer I gave my mom:

"I'm not happy, and I really haven't been truly happy all my life, and this is the reason why."
----
Known that I am trans since...forever.
First therapy session / decided to transition / hair removal: October 2018
HRT: January 2019 (journal https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,244009.0.html)
Hope to go full-time: July / August 2019
FFS / SRS: 2020
  •  

Northern Star Girl

@ChrissyRyan:
Dear Chrissy:
Certainly in my own situation...
.... saying anything and trying get others to accept me usually fell on deaf ears.
I found more success in trying to fit in...   
I am happy with who I am, I try to
dress and act respectfully and responsibly.   
No wild clothing, no pushing
my trans status in anyone's faces.   
I lived here for well over a year as
a Full Time woman and no one even
suspected that I was not a cis-female
until my dental visit last spring... 
    MY DENTIST and Dental HYGIENST KNEW !!!

My actions and appearances did more that words could ever do.

Hugs,
Danielle
****Help support this website by:
Subscribing !     and/or by    Donating !

Check out my Personal Blog Threads below
to read more details about me and my life.

(Click Links below):  [Oldest first]
  Aspiringperson is now Alaskan Danielle    
           I am the HUNTED PREY : Danielle's Chronicles    
                  A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles    
                             Danielle's Continuing Life Adventures
I started HRT March 2015 and
I've been Full-Time since December 2016.
I love living in a small town in Alaska
I am 44 years old and Single
  •  

ChrissyRyan

Quote from: Alaskan Danielle on January 26, 2019, 10:00:59 AM
@ChrissyRyan:
Dear Chrissy:
Certainly in my own situation...
.... saying anything and trying get others to accept me usually fell on deaf ears.
I found more success in trying to fit in...   
I am happy with who I am, I try to
dress and act respectfully and responsibly.   
No wild clothing, no pushing
my trans status in anyone's faces.   
I lived here for well over a year as
a Full Time woman and no one even
suspected that I was not a cis-female
until my dental visit last spring... 
    MY DENTIST and Dental HYGIENST KNEW !!!

My actions and appearances did more that words could ever do.

Hugs,
Danielle

@Alaskan Danielle

There is no doubt that if one is self-accepting and comfortable with her life, is authentic, responsible, not pushy, and dresses and behaves appropriately, that is what makes sense to do and be.

I will add that having positive attitude, persistence, kindness, a giving mindset, unselfishness, and emphathy also goes a long way.

Hugs,

Chrissy
Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding. Accepting yourself as the woman you are is very liberating.
Never underestimate the appreciation and respect of authenticity.  Be brave, be strong.  Try a little kindness.  I am a brown eyed brunette. 
  •  

ChrissyRyan

I understand how some questions and comments can be frustrating though to hear.

Chrissy
  •  

Allison S

I'd just tell them "I don't know either" and go about living my life the way I want to. Sometimes there just really isn't an answer.  People question everything and everyone, being trans isn't that special it's just rare and easy to pick out in people.

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

•  

Linde

One single person  asked your question #5.
And I answered that I just have to do it! End of discussion!
02/22/2019 bi-lateral orchiectomy

•  

KathyLauren

I generally don't engage with those people.  There is a time and place for everything, but these questions typically come up in the wrong time and place.

If someone is genuinely seeking for information and wants to understand, I will answer most questions.  Though if they ask what's in my pants, the answer is "None of your business."  But if they do not want to understand, and are only asking the questions to taunt me, well, they know what they can do with themselves.
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

Anne Blake

There is one thing that has never been asked or said of or to me:

"Wow, your internal struggles must have been horrible! Can you help me understand the trials that drove you to having to let go of all of the privilege and position and risk such social ostracism and rejection? How can I help you?"

I don't understand how a supposedly caring and intelligent muggle friend wouldn't realize how much we are risking and the high price we are paying so that we can continue living; and then seek to understand our struggles so that they could come along side and help.

Tia Anne
  •  

Chloe

There is absolutely no "why" or rational "explanation" that a cis person could possibly understand I have found our most ardent supporters (ie: my two sisters) are usually those who know & love us regardless and will be content to take "all the rest" on the faith of 1st impressions.

This is WHY I am not a fan of "big workplace disclosures" know & accept me as an employee/person first and nothing else really matters! Will never forget the two huge, burly black guys I worked with every Tues/Thur who BUSTED OUT LAUGHING when, faced with a new unknown fourth intruder, I impulsively exclaimed "no no no I am the only GIRL (in this workplace area"!)!

Same thing goes for the 3 days I spent in a male NY Max Security prison: jealously support & treasure what friends you have made and, with no questions asked or needed, they will certainly do the same for you!
"But it's no use now," thought poor Alice, "to pretend be two people!
"Why, there's hardly enough of me left to make one respectable person!"
  •  

LizK

@ChrissyRyan

Hi Chrissy

What an interesting list of statements...I have to admit that several of them ring a bell and I have come to a similar conclusion as @Chloe "There is absolutely no "why" or rational "explanation" that a cis person could possibly understand......"

I have now reached the point where I don't even bother trying but simply use a throw away line or change the subject. As far as I am concerned its no one else business but mine.  ;D

Liz
Transition Begun 25 September 2015
HRT since 17 May 2016,
Fulltime from 8 March 2017,
GCS 4 December 2018
Voice Surgery 01 February 2019
  •  

AoifeB

A few blogs I follow have had a bit of a TERF incursion lately. Just behind the frustration of dealing with their perpetually warmed-over arguments, there's the joy of well-meaning cis people that don't understand, and really aren't helping with some of their attempts to understand trans folk. Sometimes there isn't anything you can say to make someone get it.
  •  

Maid Marion

I'd just vent about finding age appropriate 32S sized clothes and I'm sure they would go away.
  •  

Harley Quinn

1.  Oh, you are so handsome (or for ftms, I guess they might say that you are so pretty), why in the world would you do this?"  "You are good looking, you would be silly trying to be a woman, and besides, it makes no sense."

A.  Because boobs are awesome.  ;D

2.  "Have you been under a lot of stress?  Have you sought counseling to deal with this mental problem of wanting to be the other sex?  Do you have multiple personalities?"

A.  I've been under a lot of stress my entire life... While I don't have multiple personalities, I do have mood swings.  >:-)

3.  "You might be gay and this is a way for you to think that you are straight after all."

A.  Sweetie, Gay isn't extreme enough...  :laugh:

4.  "Perhaps you can simply be a more feminine man (or I suppose, for ftms, they might say that you can be a 'tomboy'), after all, it is freaky for anyone to be the sex other than the one you were born."

A.  Isn't it though?

5.  "Why do you want to do this?  Do you think you are a woman?  When did these thoughts begin?"

A.  Why is the sky blue?   ???

6.  "Maybe you just want to wear women's clothes.  Is this a fetish?"

A.  I do like to wear women's clothes...  I mean, when is the last time anyone swooned over t-shirts and sagging jeans?  :P

7.  "Hey, society is just down on males now.  It is like it is bad to be a guy.  Just try to be a decent man, ignore all that silliness.  We need both men and women, there is nothing wrong with being a man.  Just be a good man."

A.  There isn't anything wrong with being a man, just like there is nothing wrong with being a woman.   :o

8.  "You will get beat up at some point if you transition.  There are going to be some people that will taunt you and try to make your life miserable." 

A.  That's happened all my life...  God created man, and Colt made them equal.   :icon_2gun:

9.  "You will not be able to get a good job.  You will have no employment history.  It is like your past did not exist.  Besides, who wants a guy to show up at work dressed as a woman?  It would be easier to get a job if you are simply gay.  Maybe you are gay and are in denial."

A.  The past is not as easily ditched as one might think.   :police:

10. "How are you ever going to sound like a woman, did you ever think about that?"

A.  That guy from Police Academy sounded like a whole lot of stuff... this is way simpler.   ;)

11. "Are you going to get your thing cut off too?"

A.  No, just remodeled.

12. "What have you been smoking?"

A.  Cubans... want one?

13. "Were you abused as child, is that why you are thinking this way?"

A.  No, but I did get disiplined a lot.  I was out of control.   :D

14. "This is simply unnatural.  You can't fool Mother Nature."

A.  You're almost right, it's supernatural.   8)

15. "As you age, you will look sillier."

A.  Yes,  but Father Time is a _______.  And he's not doing anyone any favors.  :o

16. "Life will not be the same for you.  Can you handle that?"

A.  Promise?   :angel:

17. "No one would marry you unless they are equally confused.  Maybe if they are gay or perverts.  Few would even want to date you."   

A.  Have you ever thought that I would want nothing to do with them?   ::)

18. "What you want to do is wrong."

A.  Glad we got that out of the way...  Phew. 😅

19. "This is just a phase probably.  Give this some time.  Sit on these thoughts.  Maybe these thoughts will go away."

A.  Always good advice...  I got nothing, other than its been sat on for (X) years.

20.  "This impacts more people in your life than just you.  You are being incredibly selfish if you go through with this.  If you are married, I doubt your wife would stay with you.  Your friends, customers, and relatives will disown you.  Maybe a few would be accepting.  You will give up a lot."

A.  Says who?  I'm not giving up anything... if they give up on having me in their life, that's on them.   :-\

21.  Are you going to move away and start a new life?  You might have to."

A.  I don't have to do anything.  I do what I want.    :icon_bumdance-nerd:

22.  "I love you, but this is a terrible idea... (for some of these reasons noted above.)"

A.  That's one opinion...  because I think its a great idea.   ;D
At what point did my life go Looney Tunes? How did it happen? Who's to blame?... Batman, that's who. Batman! It's always been Batman! Ruining my life, spoiling my fun! >:-)
  •  

GingerVicki

I tell people that my personality isn't changing just my appearance and that I am still me. Sadly, like what was said earlier, it falls on deaf ears.

what's a girl to do?
  •  

Linde

Quote from: GingerVicki on January 28, 2019, 03:19:57 PM
I tell people that my personality isn't changing just my appearance and that I am still me. Sadly, like what was said earlier, it falls on deaf ears.

what's a girl to do?
Knee them?

•  

ChrissyRyan

Quote from: Dietlind on January 28, 2019, 03:34:53 PM
Knee them?

No no Linde.

It is what you would say to them, not do to them!   :)    Unless you are acting in self-defense if being physically attacked.

Chrissy
  •  

GingerVicki

Quote from: ChrissyRyan on January 28, 2019, 03:46:21 PM

No no Linde.

It is what you would say to them, not do to them!   :)    Unless you are acting in self-defense if being physically attacked.

Chrissy

i am too laid back to hurt someone. i'd rather not talk to them anymore.
  •  

Linde

Quote from: ChrissyRyan on January 28, 2019, 03:46:21 PM

No no Linde.

Chrissy
As an older woman one learned over time that one has to always be ready to be in self defense mode.  Knee them before they do you!
I am just a mean old bitch/hag!

•  

Chloe

Quote from: Anne Blake on January 27, 2019, 01:55:06 PM. . . . how a supposedly caring and intelligent muggle friend wouldn't realize how much we are risking

@Anne Blake (Tia Anne) lol 1st time I've seen the "muggle" analogy it is rather MAGIC what we do! "In the beginning . . . male & female was As One" and it's since been decreed that "Life", as we know it, is only the ongoing struggle to return to such an original state[/i]". . .

. . . which would thus put us wayyy ahead of everyone else? It's like Get Real do ya always just Take For Granted everything that happens in life?
"But it's no use now," thought poor Alice, "to pretend be two people!
"Why, there's hardly enough of me left to make one respectable person!"
  •