News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Transsexuals and Vegetarian/Vegan

Started by Valerie Elizabeth, May 01, 2009, 06:16:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valerie Elizabeth

I am curious about something.

I seem to be noticing that transsexuals are more into vegetarianism and veganism than non transsexuals.  I am curious why that is, or if I am just nuts to think it.  I have to say though, that since I started transitioning, I wanted to try being a vegetarian for health reasons.  Anyone have any thoughts on that?

Let me know.
"There comes a point in life when you realize everything you know about yourself, it's all just conditioning."  True Blood

"You suffer a lot more hiding something than if you face up to it."  True Blood
  •  

kody2011

i have no idea on the relationship of veg. and trans. but i used to be vegaterian. that was before i would allow myself to accept being trans.
  •  

Kaitlyn

There's a lot of introspection and rethinking of one's life during transition.  It's not surprising that many of us would become vegetarians or vegans out of newfound concern for our health.

Also, for MTFs, a vegan diet will help you lose muscle.  I'm planning on trying it myself, for a while.
"The mind is not a vessel to be filled but a fire to be kindled."
— Plutarch
  •  

imaz

I spend a lot of time being vegetarian as I won't eat meat if it's not Halal. :)
  •  

Annwyn

It's the superior diet not only for health concerns but also for dropped weight both in muscle and fat.  Fast.
  •  

Valerie Elizabeth

Quote from: Annwyn on May 02, 2009, 04:38:20 PM
It's the superior diet not only for health concerns but also for dropped weight both in muscle and fat.  Fast.

I think this is big.

Quote from: Kaitlyn on May 02, 2009, 12:28:52 PM
There's a lot of introspection and rethinking of one's life during transition.  It's not surprising that many of us would become vegetarians or vegans out of newfound concern for our health.

Also, for MTFs, a vegan diet will help you lose muscle.  I'm planning on trying it myself, for a while.

This is the reason I am trying it.  I have to say though, that it is more expensive than a non vegetarian diet.  The food is fantastic though.

Thanks for the responses.
"There comes a point in life when you realize everything you know about yourself, it's all just conditioning."  True Blood

•  

Annwyn

20 pound bag of rice: $20 or less.

20 pounds of frozen veggies from wal-mart: $30

5 pounds of Tofu: $20(tops)

Ranch/butter/soysauce/herbs/pastesandsauces: $30

Assorted fresh produce(tomatoes, peppers, onions): $30

That's $110 for an entire month's worth of food for a MtF, or rather what I use to feed my brother and myself, both of whom eat about $5000 cals a day.

Please cite something cheaper than that, besides pure ramen diet.  Anorexia does not count as a diet.
  •  

Valerie Elizabeth

Ok, well, you've got me there.  I still feel like I am spending more money, although it might be in my head.  It might be due to the fact that I used to spend about $20 or so a week on food, and now I am spending about $100 - $110 for about a month.

I did spend about $100 about two days ago, and the food should last me about a month, maybe a little less.  Rice, Tofu, Veggies, Noodles, Sauces, Bread.

•  

Annwyn

Quote from: Valerie Elizabeth on May 02, 2009, 05:27:46 PM
Ok, well, you've got me there.  I still feel like I am spending more money, although it might be in my head.  It might be due to the fact that I used to spend about $20 or so a week on food, and now I am spending about $100 - $110 for about a month.

I did spend about $100 about two days ago, and the food should last me about a month, maybe a little less.  Rice, Tofu, Veggies, Noodles, Sauces, Bread.

To feed myself for a month it would cost less than $50
  •  

placeholdername

I like steak.

But I guess I'm also lucky -- doesn't matter what I eat, I can't get over 140 even if I try.  I don't have much muscle mass, but that's probably less to do with diet and more to with me being lazy and not exercising.
  •  

icontact

Veggies are a LOT more common among the LGBT crowd, not sure why.

I myself find the idea ridiculous. Unless of course you're trying to lose muscle mass.
Hardly online anymore. You can reach me at http://cosyoucantbuyahouseinheaven.tumblr.com/ask
  •  

myles

I am not currently a vegetarian but grew up as one. Anyway I can say that even as a meat eater the majority of my food budget goes to fruits and veggies. I think you Annwyns bill looks reasonable. I try and make sure I eat the veggies and fruit that are in season in order to save money. In the summer I can grow all the stuff I need for salads for a reasonable price, now that it's established and all I need is the plants every year.
Myles
"A life lived in fear is a life half lived"
  •  

Luc

I did the vegetarian bit for about 4 months years back to try to lose weight. Nope, no results. I think I actually gained. In the end, I went back to my old meat-loving self, and the best thing I've ever done for my weight was to cut out sugary soda. Did that about three months ago, and I've seen my body shrink faster than ever before on any number of calorie-restricting diets, etc.

Man (and woman) was made to be omnivorous. Who am I to question that?

SD
"If you want to criticize my methods, fine. But you can keep your snide remarks to yourself, and while you're at it, stop criticizing my methods!"

Check out my blog at http://hormonaldivide.blogspot.com
  •  

Shana A

I was vegetarian for 20 years, and vegan for three of those years. A few years ago my metabolism changed, I now eat fish or poultry occasionally, and once in a while even meat. My diet is still mostly vegetarian though, and we grow a lot of our own veggies.

Z
"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

•  

Wendy

I lost 38 pounds of muscle in four years on HRT.  I eat a lot of meat every day.  I also eat veggies and fruit.  I try to keep sugar and carbs low.  My weight stays the same on this diet; however, my percent body fat has increased.
  •  

Michelle.

Quote from: Ketsy on May 02, 2009, 05:55:46 PM
I like steak.

But I guess I'm also lucky -- doesn't matter what I eat, I can't get over 140 even if I try.  I don't have much muscle mass, but that's probably less to do with diet and more to with me being lazy and not exercising.

Are we twins, separated at birth?
  •  

Jaimey

Quote from: Valerie Elizabeth on May 02, 2009, 05:27:46 PM

A lot of it can be what you're buying.  I guess you could say I'm a vegetarian at home (I only eat meat if someone serves it to me, brings it to my house, or I'm eating out...I refuse to buy/cook meat...too much trouble).  My roommate is a vegetarian and she spends WAY more on food than I do.  I highly recommend rice as a staple.  It's cheap, tasty, versatile, and good for you.  Also, frozen/canned veggies can be cheap if you get the store brand.  I also do frozen fruits...just thaw them with warm water.  The most expensive foods I buy are Boca burgers/chicken patties (although I can't find these lately).  But as long as you aren't eating a box a day, they aren't that expensive (about $3 for a box of 4...Morningstar Farms are more expensive).

I fix a cup of rice every day...I just stick it in the steamer and let it go.  Then I add to it.  I lost about 8 lbs in a week (well, 7-10 days...I wasn't that diligent about it) when I made rice my staple food.  Usually, the only things I add to it are kosher salt, pepper, margarine, and flax seeds.
If curiosity really killed the cat, I'd already be dead. :laugh:

"How far you go in life depends on you being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and the strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these." GWC
  •  

myles

A few (not all) of  vegetarians I know that spend a lot on food only eat organic fruit and veggies, which can get really expensive. If you are willing to eat the stuff that is not organic you can save money. Or grow your own then you know its organic. I lived in a town before this that probably has a very high Veggie rate per capita.
Myles
"A life lived in fear is a life half lived"
  •  

Annwyn

I'm tellin ya, I eat rice and frozen veggies with random condoments like herbs and ranch and butter and soy sauce added.  I spend very little money on food.  It's called wal-mart.
  •  

Wendy

Actually billions of people in Asia eat very little meat.  At one time meat was a luxury and rich people ate it.  Basically all of North America likes meat. 

Now I love to cook and I love all varieties of food!  I have found that my veggie Indian friends from India tend to be thinner than their American counterparts.

I can lose weight if I cut portions but I weight the same as I did thirty years ago.

Small portions of meat are healthy for you.  You can stay lean if you eat good healthy foods and lots of varieties.  However fresh vegetables can be quite expensive.  I buy frozen stir fry vegetables and pay more for the vegetables than chicken.  Eggplant frequently is $1.49 a pound.  I can buy whole chickens at $.89 per pound.

Nuts are very healthy.  I love walnuts which contain Omega 3 and they cost about $6.00 per pound.  Round steaks/roasts cost about $4.00 per pound in one local store.

I know which stores sell which products at better prices.  I do spend a lot on good food.  I eat out infrequently.

Alcohol tends to be the biggest gainer of calories for me.  No less is alcohol full of calories it also reduces my willpower to stop eating.

I tend to know older TS folks.  Some are thin and some are heavy.  They all eat meat.

I think a day or two without meat is probably healthy.  However if you eat a healthy diet you can include many things.
  •