Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

*shrug* okay..

Started by Miniar, May 21, 2009, 06:40:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Miniar

Came out to my two younger sisters tonight.
Took all of the night to work up the stones, but then I did.
In a roundabout way, while watching the table intently, I said the words "looking into changing my sex"..
My sisters looked at me like I had said something along the lines of "looking into getting my hair dyed".. and then sort of shrugged and said okay.

The same has sort of been the way with my friends. Caught one of my old dear friends online the other day and told him in an "oh by the way" sort of way, and the reply was "okay, what do I call you then dude?".

It's not taken any of my friends nor family by any surprize (other than dad that is) and the only person who's given me Any trouble is Dad and that's only in the form of not getting it.
Heck, the only real question I get is "what about your husband?"

I get so nervous though... so now I feel all deflated... but all that nervousness hasn't prepared me at all for the *shrug* okay.. sort of replies I get.

"Everyone who has ever built anywhere a new heaven first found the power thereto in his own hell" - Nietzsche
  •  

ilikepotatoes

75% of my replies have been *shrug* okay. It's always way more common than you think and makes you feel kind of silly for waiting so long to tell people.
  •  

sneakersjay

That was the essence of my coming out also.  "Oh, okay."  A few asked a few questions, my parents asked me the most, but still, I wasn't disowned or yelled at or anything.  It was a total non-issue, even at work.

Sometimes I think it was too easy.  But not a day goes by that I'm not totally content, relaxed, and confident in my decision.

The only thing that has been problematic has been dating, but that's problematic for just about anyone.  Straight girls want the dick; so far the lesbian/bi ladies I've talked to love transmen all right -- in their pre-T, pre-top surgery form.  Oh, well.

Jay

•  

Nero

Mine was pretty close to that. Course there were some questions, but overall everybody was much more upset about my being an drug addict. This seems small change to them compared to that.
Nero was the Forum Admin here at Susan's Place for several years up to the time of his death.
  •  

K8

Good for you, Miniar.

Quote from: sneakersjay on May 21, 2009, 07:29:22 PM
Sometimes I think it was too easy.  But not a day goes by that I'm not totally content, relaxed, and confident in my decision.

That was most of the reaction to my announcements.  I even had one, after I said "I'm transgender" shoot back "I know it!"  I sometimes thought it was too easy, why had I gotten so worked up about it ahead of time?  But I guess you have to get yourself ready - it's part of the process. 

Now my siblings are giving me a hard time, though. :P  One step at a time.

- Kate
Life is a pilgrimage.
  •  

tekla

It's often struck me that the things we think we are hiding are pretty obvious to everyone else.
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

Miniar

Quote from: tekla on May 22, 2009, 12:32:21 PM
It's often struck me that the things we think we are hiding are pretty obvious to everyone else.

Heh, yep.
"I'm not surprised" is half of what I get told in response to coming out. The other half being of course "what about your husband?"

"Everyone who has ever built anywhere a new heaven first found the power thereto in his own hell" - Nietzsche
  •  

Feever

My wife says I am pretty feminine for a guy, and at times borderline gay.  In fact when we first met, she thought I was gay.  I wonder if my family would just shrug and say, we always knew that.
  •  

paulault55

When i told my best friend I'm changing my sex and asked her what others thought of me she said one word gay. She is very accepting as is my stepfather, neighbors, doctors and the bank manager, we'll see how it goes with my extended family later this summer.

Paula

I am a Mcginn Girl May 9 2011
  •  

fae_reborn

In some cases, I also got the "we're not surprised, we always thought you were gay" response.  My parents took it the hardest.  Looking back though, I think I made coming out a bigger deal than it really was.
  •  

Janet_Girl

When an old neighbor was told, by my ex no less.  His response was '"Oh I thought you were going to tell me he is gay".  Then "No biggy.  You want a beer?".

Janet
  •  

Jay

Yeah I have had a lot of that, it comes quite easy most of the time..

Although a lot of people are more interested in how and when I get a penis they think you automatically get it.. and don't understand that I have to wait years.. 

Jay

•  

Cindy

Yea
When I came out to parents as a child (40 yrs ago) it was a big thing (but the thing wasn't :laugh:) . I haven't really had anyone with problems since. I'm not fully out at work  My senior clinical colleagues are all homophobic. Even though I'm not Gay, they would not understand the difference.

Unfortunately Boys and Girls; That is how a lot of Medics think.

Cindy
  •  

joannatsf

Quote from: Miniar on May 22, 2009, 02:49:06 PM
Heh, yep.
"I'm not surprised" is half of what I get told in response to coming out. The other half being of course "what about your husband?"

That has been pretty much my experience, too.  My daughter asked what exactly transsexual meant.  I explained it and she said, "Oh, I just thought you were bi-sexual."  Her biggest concern was will I still be her dad and will it change our relationship.  I assured her that I will always be her dad and I will always love her. She said it was too bad I wasn't born 20 years later, when being queer was more exceptable.

Ivb
  •  

JaimeFTW

Quote from: Nero on May 22, 2009, 01:17:38 AM
Mine was pretty close to that. Course there were some questions, but overall everybody was much more upset about my being an drug addict. This seems small change to them compared to that.

This seems like it would be the case for me as well. I know my family just wants me to be happy and if they could still love me through the perils of opiate addiction, then this shouldn't be too hard :P

I think my sisters could have the *shrug* "okay" reaction and maybe even my parents, but you still never know...
  •  

Sandy

Most of the responses that I got were like that.

Most of the people I knew could tell that I was carrying around a heavy burden, and then to come out they all said "Oh so *that's* what has been bugging you all this time!"

How come everyone knew, accept me?

-Sandy
Out of the darkness, into the light.
Following my bliss.
I am complete...
  •  

JaimeFTW

Quote from: Sandy on June 15, 2009, 03:02:11 PM
Most of the responses that I got were like that.

Most of the people I knew could tell that I was carrying around a heavy burden, and then to come out they all said "Oh so *that's* what has been bugging you all this time!"

How come everyone knew, accept me?

-Sandy

I get the feeling a lot of people realize I'm carrying a heavy burden as well. It sometimes feels like my family is just waiting for me to come out, I dunno if they think I'm gay or know that I'm trans, but it seems like they know SOMETHING is up.
  •  

Steph

Quote from: tekla on May 22, 2009, 12:32:21 PM

Yup - So much for stealth huh :)

Quotewe always thought you were gay
is another one.

-={LR}=-
Enjoy life and be happy.  You won't be back.

WARNING: This body contains nudity, sexuality, and coarse language. Viewer discretion is advised. And I tend to rub folks the wrong way cause I say it as I see it...

http://www.facebook.com/switzerstephanie
  •  

Kara

Miniar, you're such a worrywart! You'd be surprised at how often your fears are unfounded.  ;)
  •  

Miniar

Quote from: Kara on June 15, 2009, 05:03:28 PM
Miniar, you're such a worrywart!

Hahah.. tell me something I don't know :D

•