News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Most trans-friendly city

Started by Kristyn, June 06, 2010, 07:50:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lilydev

Quote from: Vexing on January 04, 2011, 03:02:50 PM
Auckland, New Zealand. It's practically run by trans people - they even have their own damn street!

This is really awesome to hear considering I am looking at a couple jobs there that I could transition too. How about Wellington I am not sure about the available jobs there but it really looks like an awesome place to move too.
  •  

Lee

I've heard great things about Portland, which is nice as I've been thinking of moving there for a while.
Oh I'm a lucky man to count on both hands the ones I love

A blah blog
http://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/board,365.0.html
  •  

Oweena

Quote from: justmeinoz on June 07, 2010, 07:58:54 AM
Here in Australia you are probably going to get hassled more for being an American than trans. 
Of course New Orleans is loose, it's just been oiled.

I have lived in many cities and towns in my lifetime.  New Orleans has always been a town for men who want to be women.  Houston Texax is now trans friendly.  I lived in Galveston for a time and was never hasseled.  Almost any place in California is good to live as a woman. 

Almost anyplace you choose to live today will treat you like you want to be treated unless you break the law then you can expect to get it in the ass and I don't mean sexually.
  •  

CaitJ

Quote from: Lilydev on January 06, 2011, 01:52:50 AM
This is really awesome to hear considering I am looking at a couple jobs there that I could transition too. How about Wellington I am not sure about the available jobs there but it really looks like an awesome place to move too.

I live in Wellington; it's a pretty sweet place. It's highly public sector, full of government workers, so everyone tends to be very tolerant and politically correct. It's also the Arts capital of NZ, so it's pretty funky and alternative at the same time. There's not really a bad thing I can say about it, except for the wind.
Clearly it's awesome though, cuz it has me in it  :D
  •  

Lilydev

Quote from: Vexing on January 06, 2011, 10:41:45 PM
I live in Wellington; it's a pretty sweet place. It's highly public sector, full of government workers, so everyone tends to be very tolerant and politically correct. It's also the Arts capital of NZ, so it's pretty funky and alternative at the same time. There's not really a bad thing I can say about it, except for the wind.
Clearly it's awesome though, cuz it has me in it  :D

And weta is in Wellington Sorry lord of the rings fan. Yeah I think were going to try and visit in oct or nov. I cant wait it's one of those place I have always wanted to go.

How's the tech industry there, from what I can tell it's not to bad and my company has an office in NZ but I'm curious how it is in wellington.
  •  

CaitJ

Quote from: Lilydev on January 07, 2011, 01:38:30 AM
And weta is in Wellington Sorry lord of the rings fan. Yeah I think were going to try and visit in oct or nov. I cant wait it's one of those place I have always wanted to go.

How's the tech industry there, from what I can tell it's not to bad and my company has an office in NZ but I'm curious how it is in wellington.

Yeah, Weta workshops is around the corner from where I live  :D
I'm in IT and I've never had a problem finding work - if you're talking that sort of tech.
  •  

Lilydev

Quote from: Vexing on January 07, 2011, 01:54:24 AM
Yeah, Weta workshops is around the corner from where I live  :D
I'm in IT and I've never had a problem finding work - if you're talking that sort of tech.

I know that weta does tours of their workshop from time to time which I know would be a blast to check out. Lol I'm such a nerd but I love it :)

Yup I am in IT and engineering, I am building cloud infrastructure stuff now it's really fun. I will totally have to bug you sometime to ask you opinion about some of the companies there for your opinion.
  •  

Cruelladeville

Indeed....

I'm leaving the UK, as (a) its over populated, has (b) a failing over-stretched NHS system, and (c) very few mineral assets of energy use left...

North Sea oil.... sorry folks all going, going..... GONE!

This bodes badly for Blighty over the next two decades...

The USA has very similar problems, apart from the fact that it's still a manufacturing nation, but it's also severely energy depleted and in many ways bankrupt already....

The FED is killing the dollar by continual QE'ing.... any of you Yanks noticed the price of car fuel and food recently?

Australia and Canada are energy rich, the Aussies are China's mining operation.... this should for a wee while keep ticking along nicely....

But the ramifications of Peak Oil - which was past for good in 2008 - has the potential to derail a global population of 7bn (BIG TIME!!)  ???

NZ is great location - a tiny small population and essentially a giant farm - produces the world's best sailors too.... it so off the beaten track the Chinese will leave it alone also.... when push comes to shove for the last of the black gold fossil-fuel spoils...

In Europe the safest choice is Norway.... as long as the Russian neighbours leaves there oil & gas reserves in tact....

Where we're collectively headed is gonna be a tough play if you pick your nation state wrong.... so decide wisely kids!
  •  

CaitJ

Quote from: Lilydev on January 07, 2011, 02:27:03 AM
I know that weta does tours of their workshop from time to time which I know would be a blast to check out. Lol I'm such a nerd but I love it :)

Yup I am in IT and engineering, I am building cloud infrastructure stuff now it's really fun. I will totally have to bug you sometime to ask you opinion about some of the companies there for your opinion.

Be my guest; I've had contact with the three largest service providers in Wellington, so my knowledge is fairly sound.
  •  

Tasha

>:-)
  •