Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

"Whats your style?"

Started by JessieMH, June 09, 2010, 10:51:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JessieMH

So today I was talking with my mom on the phone and the topic of getting me cloths & outfits came up, and well I have done some looking around online I had no idea what to respond when she asked me "well whats your style?" and would really like to figure out how to respond to that next time she asks.

So far the only things I know I like are jeans (esp. ones with little flower patches or old ones with patches) hoodies and some generic tees etc, not really a "style" as far as I can tell so erm, help?  Also might want to consider that I'm overweight and that things that look good on some people (mini skirts, tank tops etc) wouldn't look that great on me, yet anyways, still going down!
  •  

Sabene

Here is a fun exercise I like to do to find style types and preferences:

You are going to:

The gym
The library
Retail shopping
The movies
A casual restaurant
A nice restaurant
A club
The theatre or opera

Now design for yourself an outfit in your preferred gender for each of those locations:

What are you wearing:

On your top
On your bottom
On your legs
On your feet
On your head
On your hands
Accessories?
Jewelry?
Makeup?

And now add variables of going to each of these places:

With friends
With a romantic interest

And see how that changes your basic choices.

:)
  •  

VelindaSalazar

Good idea, Sabene.  I will have to try that some time.  :)

My style tends to be semi-casual, classy, and elegant.  I love to feel comfortable but present myself with class, style, and sophistication.  I mostly wear jeans, leggings, and skirts.  I do have a couple of dresses that I love, but rarely wear them since they are more for a night out on the town.  I am also somewhat conservative; I don't like showing all my goods to the world.  lol  I love to play with the imagination of others.  Of course, my style also varies on my mood, the environment I will be at, and with whom I am surrounded by.
  •  

barbie

Yes. Basically I have two styles: one for daily life, and the other for occasional events.

I do care for both of the cases. For casuals for workplace and home, I prefer junior's style, although my first son is now junior. For going out, I prefer a mixture of little girls' and ladies'. For example, a tee for little girls and straped high heel sandals.

Barbie~~
Just do it.
  •  

Samantha_Peterson

For me, I've known for a long time that I am a goth geek. I love the goth clothes and the geek clothes. I just don't feel okay with myself unless I have something black on.

But yeah, your style is whatever you feel comfortable in. I just happened to have a name for my style ^_^
  •  

tekla

used, outdated, hard worn, and not popular.  It makes me the rage of all parties.
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

rejennyrated

Quote from: ƃuıxǝʌ on June 12, 2010, 02:04:20 AM
Geek chic/Geek couture.
SNAP - Love it.

I do similar - although to be honest I'm not very style aware so I generally just wear the things I like and say hang to the rules!
  •  

rejennyrated

Quote from: ƃuıxǝʌ on June 12, 2010, 02:12:22 AM
I don't mean to be a killjoy, but our styles are very different Jenny - going by the pics you've posted.
Well to be honest my style varies so much that it's probably fair to say that I don't really have a fixed one... and yes the photos I post here are indeed probably only a small sample.

But define geek chic for me then, because I may indeed have missunderstood the term.
  •  

rejennyrated

Thank you. Now I get it... Yes you are right that is very different from what I have posted.

However if you saw me in my "employed work" outfits - my professional attire so to speak, which I would hesitate to post on here, then the top middle and the "I'm just gonna wear a dress" look are indeed both styles I have sported.

Now that I am self employed and not going in to an office I do generally have a rather different look.

Nice selection though - thanks. :)
  •  

Pica Pica

I've been thinking a little about this recently - mainly because I never thought I had a style and then lots of people have recently commented on 'my style'. I don't like it when people look like they have intricately planned what they are wearing, so I spose I have a thrown it together style. Not sure if that even counts as a style.
'For the circle may be squared with rising and swelling.' Kit Smart
  •  

JessieMH

Wow, thanks for all this, should help me figure out some stuff ;D

Bigtime thanks!
  •  

Hauser

chelsea girl meets Cobra Commander.
  •  

elvistears

I have several looks and I have named them all.

Preppy Stoner: think Gossip Girl boys, hair in the eyes, well dressed but crinkled.

Teen Gangsta: see my icon, it's my Justin Bieber look.

Gay Cowboy: tight cowboy shirts, you get the picture

Faux Schoolboy: Blazers, crisp white shirts, slacks.
  •  

K8

My style is idiosyncratic classy casual.  I love being slightly over-dressed on all occasions.  I want to always look like I gave some thought to what I'm wearing.  Often when I see another woman who has a flair for looking oddly stylishly odd, we exchange secret looks of appreciation. ;)

My sister said she was embarrassed that she had to tell people that her new sister dresses better than she does.  I gave her a hug. :)

- Kate
Life is a pilgrimage.
  •  

Fenrir

So ƃuıxǝʌ, that's just ordinary model-wear with very large comedy glasses, eh?  ;)
I go for the 'if-they're-not-loose-enough-to-wear-as-pyjamas-don't-bother' look. Basically insanely nerdy t-shirts with combats. Hair just left as it is in between washes. The height of laziness! I often look underdressed for wherever I am, but luckily I'm still young-looking enough to pull it off. I assume. If not, then people have obviously just learnt to deal with it. :D
A lot of people have mentioned that I have a 'style', too, but... I don't see it. I'm not stylish enough to have a style!  :P
  •  

LordKAT

Maybe your style is the ...unstyle.
  •  

Fenrir

Quote from: LordKAT on June 14, 2010, 08:36:09 PM
Maybe your style is the ...unstyle.

Perhaps. The sentence 'my unstyle is like pyjamas' looks... rather odd! But I like it.  :)
  •