Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Mariah's GRS with Dr. Meltzer 10/27/16 and Post surgical journey.

Started by Mariah, August 18, 2016, 09:47:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mariah

I know, I'm so not good at waiting and yes it's 70 days away at this point, but I couldn't resist.

I have been itching to start this thread for a little while now and I guess I won't make myself wait any longer to do it. I have one last doctor's appointment and that is my yearly appointment with the Endo. Yet, all the gatekeeper hoops and related appointments are past me now. It's hard to believe it took over 2 years to clear all of those hoops including the health related ones that I recently had to clear which were the reasons the case manager with the transgender services program with the insurance thought would never happen. In the process, I proved that not only would I be able to get SRS, which I so dearly need, but also improve my overall health in the process.

I have a little over two months and and week tell my SRS or 70 days to be exact and basically taken care of all the preparations I can now that I can do before arriving in the Phoenix area. I'm leaving for the Phoenix area 65 days from now. I will use this thread as a sort of blog that I will post in sharing all my experiences related to my SRS procedure that I know will help others along their journeys too. As it gets closer, I will update this thread much more often maybe and hopefully daily eventually.  The schedule at this point is like this. Here we go!
9/29 last HRT injection before SRS
10/22 I leave for and arrive in Phoenix
10/23 going to something with a good close friend
10/24 Any last minute things I may need for my time in Phoenix that I didn't already have but needed to get.
10/25 likely just a down day to prepare for my surgery 10/27 with DR. Meltzer
10/26 pre op appointment, liquid diet and the bowel prep.
10/27 I check in the hospital at 11am (all tests, if needed, that they want to run will be done at this point EKG, Blood, urine, Chest X-ray) for an 1pm surgery
10/28 bed rest
10/29-11-4 various things will occur over these days
11/5 I check out of the recovery center in the afternoon
11/6-18 I spend a good amount of time resting, dilating along with a little time doing a few activities.
11/19 I leave Phoenix and arrive home.
If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me.
[email]mariah@susans.org[/email]
I am also spouse of a transgender person.
Retired News Administrator
Retired (S) Global Moderator
  •  

Brooke

First off Congratulations!  I can only imagine how hard it is to wait.

I will definitely be interested in hearing your story. Dr. Meltzer is on my short list.

If you don't mind me asking a few questions.

You mention a case manager with transgender services program. I have never heard of a case manager with this specially, can you elaborate?

It's my understanding Dr. Meltzer is only contracted with one insurance carrier. Is that the same insurance company your with? If not can you provide feedback on how/what was needed for prior auth and also how Dr. Meltzer's office staff is to interact.

I have not seen many recent experiences with Meltzer, and am also curious on how you came to your decision.

Also if your looking for any local info, feel free to message me. I've been in Phoenix for the past 15 years.

Again congratulations!

Hugs,
Brooke

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  •  

Mariah

My insurance is footing most of the bill. When insurance covers it, they may or may not put requirements on their covering. My insurance did. One of them was the Transgender services program.
https://www.ghc.org/html/public/services/transgender

"All Group Health members who have a covered benefit for gender affirming surgical procedures and who have definitively decided to pursue this surgery are required to enroll in the TSP."

He is affiliated with several including Group Health (soon to be Kaiser Permantente as soon as it is approved by the government.)
Kaiser Permantente  and I know others were on the list that they are affiliated with but don't recall them of the top of my head. You would need to contact his office to find out more or your insurance carrier.

My insurance carrier set what was needed besides medical clearance and forms that Meltzer's office requires. However, if the insurance isn't taking control over it or your not using insurance the steps per the packet you get after your consult are the following.

QuoteBefore surgery can be scheduled, the following information must be received in our office:

1) Completed Patient Information Form

2) Completed Health History Form

3) Completed Smoking Form

4) Letter of Introduction from Your Therapist

5) Signed Financial/Cancellation Policy

6) Signed Financial/Surgery Schedule

7) Deposit of (not listing the amount considering it can change) (The deposit will not be accepted until items 1-6 have been received).

The list I had to deal with was different in some ways since the insurance was handling it. I have mainly dealt with the case manger from the insurance but also have dealt with the person who you generally get on the phone and one of the LPN's as well. The items I have put in bold were the ones required of me. I have had extremely positive experience so far. The other items were not needed since the insurance was handling it.

As to why Meltzer, that is easy. He was the only surgeon that my insurance was affiliated with when I enrolled in the program at the time. However, based on my body and health from what I have been told he is the best surgeon in this case to handle my surgery. There is no substitute for experience which is extremely important in my case. Lots of surgery has occurred down in that area in the past making the job not nearly as simple as it normally would be. Hearing feedback from others really has really reassured me that in the end I wasn't just settling because of who my insurance is affiliated with. My shortlist coming in did include Bowers coming in to may transition.

I appreciate the offer very much, thank you. 2 friends of mine actually happen to live in the Phoenix area which really is lucky for and for them since they will get a chance to spend time with me.

Thank you and Hugs
Mariah

Quote from: Brooke on August 18, 2016, 06:32:57 PM
First off Congratulations!  I can only imagine how hard it is to wait.

I will definitely be interested in hearing your story. Dr. Meltzer is on my short list.

If you don't mind me asking a few questions.

You mention a case manager with transgender services program. I have never heard of a case manager with this specially, can you elaborate?

It's my understanding Dr. Meltzer is only contracted with one insurance carrier. Is that the same insurance company your with? If not can you provide feedback on how/what was needed for prior auth and also how Dr. Meltzer's office staff is to interact.

I have not seen many recent experiences with Meltzer, and am also curious on how you came to your decision.

Also if your looking for any local info, feel free to message me. I've been in Phoenix for the past 15 years.

Again congratulations!

Hugs,
Brooke

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  •  

Dena

I was considering a possible revision surgery and two names were suggested to me by somebody very knowledgeable in the subject. The one that was in the United States and just down the street was Dr Meltzer. I came to the conclusion that what I was considering wasn't needed but I still use the office for HRT.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

Rachel

HRT  5-28-2013
FT   11-13-2015
FFS   9-16-2016 -Spiegel
GCS 11-15-2016 - McGinn
Hair Grafts 3-20-2017 - Cooley
Voice therapy start 3-2017 - Reene Blaker
Labiaplasty 5-15-2017 - McGinn
BA 7-12-2017 - McGinn
Hair grafts 9-25-2017 Dr.Cooley
Sataloff Cricothyroid subluxation and trachea shave12-11-2017
Dr. McGinn labiaplasty, hood repair, scar removal, graph repair and bottom of  vagina finished. urethra repositioned. 4-4-2018
Dr. Sataloff Glottoplasty 5-14-2018
Dr. McGinn vaginal in office procedure 10-22-2018
Dr. McGinn vaginal revision 2 4-3-2019 Bottom of vagina closed off, fat injected into the labia and urethra repositioned.
Dr. Thomas in 2020 FEMLAR
  •  

jujubes1986

[/url]
  •  

Mariah

I'm now less than 2 months away from the surgery and past all appointments. I have also been able to lineup the Gyno that I will need post operatively and the place my mom will stay in. I have a road map as to how we are going to deal with the hormones in the long term. Both of these were hurdles I thought would take forever for me to pin down coming in and both ended up being rather easy to do when it came time to line them up. If all goes well tomorrow at my mom's appointment all my work related details will have been dealt with too and I will be all set except for allowing the remaining days to tick of the clock.

It seems at it gets closer the more anxious and excited I'm getting in my anticipation of my upcoming surgery. Even though I have known from the get go I have needed this I still wavered at one point due to the risks involved with the procedure. Primarily those risks that are rare, but still scared the heck out of me. Still nothing is going to stop me 60 days from now when from getting SRS, the surgery I have needed since I can remember.
Mariah
  •  

reborn

Dr Meltzer used to do 2 stage surgery. Is he still doing it that way or has he perhaps adopted the one stage technique?
  •  

Mariah

My understanding is still two stage based on the Pre-Op packet I have. Hugs
Mariah
Quote from: reborn on August 28, 2016, 10:41:56 AM
Dr Meltzer used to do 2 stage surgery. Is he still doing it that way or has he perhaps adopted the one stage technique?
  •  

LizK

Quote from: Mariah on August 18, 2016, 09:47:44 AM
I know, I'm so not good at waiting and yes it's 70 days away at this point, but I couldn't resist.

I have been itching to start this thread for a little while now and I guess I won't make myself wait any longer to do it. I have one last doctor's appointment and that is my yearly appointment with the Endo. Yet, all the gatekeeper hoops and related appointments are past me now. It's hard to believe it took over 2 years to clear all of those hoops including the health related ones that I recently had to clear which were the reasons the case manager with the transgender services program with the insurance thought would never happen. In the process, I proved that not only would I be able to get SRS, which I so dearly need, but also improve my overall health in the process.

I have a little over two months and and week tell my SRS or 70 days to be exact and basically taken care of all the preparations I can now that I can do before arriving in the Phoenix area. I'm leaving for the Phoenix area 65 days from now. I will use this thread as a sort of blog that I will post in sharing all my experiences related to my SRS procedure that I know will help others along their journeys too. As it gets closer, I will update this thread much more often maybe and hopefully daily eventually.  The schedule at this point is like this. Here we go!
10/7 last HRT injection before SRS
10/22 I leave for and arrive in Phoenix
10/23 going to something with a good close friend
10/24 Any last minute things I may need for my time in Phoenix that I didn't already have but needed to get.
10/25 likely just a down day to prepare for my surgery 10/27 with DR. Meltzer
10/26 pre op appointment, liquid diet and the bowel prep.
10/27 I check in the hospital at 9:45am (all tests, if needed, that they want to run will be done at this point EKG, Blood, urine, Chest X-ray) for an 11:45am surgery
10/28 bed rest
10/29-11-4 various things will occur over these days
11/5 I check out of the recovery center in the afternoon
11/6-18 I spend a good amount of time resting, dilating along with a little time doing a few activities.
11/19 I leave Phoenix and arrive home.

Mariah ....is it that time already? It must be time for dancing!!! :eusa_dance: :icon_bumdance-nerd: :icon_dance:

Very exciting...I wish you nothing but the best

Hugs
Liz
Transition Begun 25 September 2015
HRT since 17 May 2016,
Fulltime from 8 March 2017,
GCS 4 December 2018
Voice Surgery 01 February 2019
  •  

CrysC

Start packing girl!
Also, dress for hot weather.  Phoenix is very toasty.  I went there recently and couldn't make it with capris.  Shorts or above the knee skirt.  Tank tops. 

Oh yea, also go ahead and order the lifetime supply of lube, several months of panty liners and several boxes of baby wipes. 
  •  

Dena

Quote from: CrysC on August 28, 2016, 09:27:41 PM
Start packing girl!
Also, dress for hot weather.  Phoenix is very toasty.  I went there recently and couldn't make it with capris.  Shorts or above the knee skirt.  Tank tops. 

Oh yea, also go ahead and order the lifetime supply of lube, several months of panty liners and several boxes of baby wipes.
By the end of October the night cool down nicely and the days are reaching the point of comfortable. That's about the time I dig the long pants out and put the shorts away for the winter. As for right now, we are still seeing 100 degree days but it's time to start the garden.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

BeverlyAnn

Mariah, I know you're getting excited as the date draws closer.  Congratulations.  A friend of mine was one of Dr. Meltzer's patients back in the lat 90's.  As far as she was concerned, he is the best there ever was. 
Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much. - Oscar Wilde

•  

Gertrude

Quote from: CrysC on August 28, 2016, 09:27:41 PM
Start packing girl!

By October 1, the highs are below 100 and the nights are cooler than now. December would be nicer but it'll be ok.

Scanned, inspected and approved by the NSA
  •  

CrysC

I think it is all very relative to what you are used to. 
When I was down there last week they said, "Oh great, you came on a cool week!  The temperatures are down a lot." 
The temperature was 102F.  For me, that is very hot.

We put on shorts and tank tops when the temperature hits the 80s up here near Seattle.  :-)
Capris or leggings in the 70's and long pants or leggings for 60's and below. 
When it's in the 90's we bitch and moan on how we should have put in air conditioning last year when this happened and wear as little clothing as we can get away with.
When it's in the 100's it means we are in a sauna.  That just doesn't happen out doors here.  :-)

Looking at the Wunderground calendar forecast, it looks like the average highs are in the mid-80's.  Mariah, you  show as from the NW so I am going to still go with my shorts and tanks but, I would say that with the low being in the 60's that you should still bring some warmer stuff too. 

Either way, I'm going to bet that you will be pretty distracted and will have a lot of air-conditioning available. 
  •  

Dena

You have to be kidding, sometimes it gets so cold that our heat pumps have to wear overcoats to stay warm.   ;D

•  

Gertrude

Quote from: Dena on August 29, 2016, 11:50:26 PM
You have to be kidding, sometimes it gets so cold that our heat pumps have to wear overcoats to stay warm.   ;D

I lived in Iowa for 9 years before moving to AZ 4 years ago and I am originally from Long Island. It does not get cold in the valley here. I remember my first winter here I went outside to put my kids on the bus and I have shorts and a tee shirt on. The bus driver looked at me like I was crazy, but even in the 30's, it's not cold. The coldest place I've been was Fargo in the winter. That place gets gets cold.

FWIW, I like the winters here. Turn the AC off, don't need heat. The electric bill tanks too, which is a plus.
  •  

Gertrude

Quote from: CrysC on August 29, 2016, 10:53:08 PM
I think it is all very relative to what you are used to. 
When I was down there last week they said, "Oh great, you came on a cool week!  The temperatures are down a lot." 
The temperature was 102F.  For me, that is very hot.

We put on shorts and tank tops when the temperature hits the 80s up here near Seattle.  :-)
Capris or leggings in the 70's and long pants or leggings for 60's and below. 
When it's in the 90's we bitch and moan on how we should have put in air conditioning last year when this happened and wear as little clothing as we can get away with.
When it's in the 100's it means we are in a sauna.  That just doesn't happen out doors here.  :-)

Looking at the Wunderground calendar forecast, it looks like the average highs are in the mid-80's.  Mariah, you  show as from the NW so I am going to still go with my shorts and tanks but, I would say that with the low being in the 60's that you should still bring some warmer stuff too. 

Either way, I'm going to bet that you will be pretty distracted and will have a lot of air-conditioning available.

This summer was warm for even here. I think we had 30 days of 110 or more.

This day was the hottest:

•  

Mariah

At this point I'm waiting on them to finish the final go over of mediation and the like. We had to delay that call do to my schedule getting in the way last Thursday. After that I believe the rest of the communication will occur after I'm in the Phoenix area in October. I'm getting a bit anxious with all the waiting, but I can't wait. Hugs
Mariah
  •  

Rachel

Congratulations, I am very happy for you. I look forward to reading your posts.
HRT  5-28-2013
FT   11-13-2015
FFS   9-16-2016 -Spiegel
GCS 11-15-2016 - McGinn
Hair Grafts 3-20-2017 - Cooley
Voice therapy start 3-2017 - Reene Blaker
Labiaplasty 5-15-2017 - McGinn
BA 7-12-2017 - McGinn
Hair grafts 9-25-2017 Dr.Cooley
Sataloff Cricothyroid subluxation and trachea shave12-11-2017
Dr. McGinn labiaplasty, hood repair, scar removal, graph repair and bottom of  vagina finished. urethra repositioned. 4-4-2018
Dr. Sataloff Glottoplasty 5-14-2018
Dr. McGinn vaginal in office procedure 10-22-2018
Dr. McGinn vaginal revision 2 4-3-2019 Bottom of vagina closed off, fat injected into the labia and urethra repositioned.
Dr. Thomas in 2020 FEMLAR
  •