Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Going back to work after electrolysis

Started by Emma1017, January 28, 2019, 10:30:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emma1017

I am still in the closet so I need to know if I could do facial electrolysis and still go right back to work?  Is the swelling that noticeable?

I am not having great success with laser because of the mix of gray and brown hair.

I love the idea of sedation but I'm in New York and that does seem to be an option here.

I am three months on HRT and wonder should I just wait?

Thanks,

Emma
  •  

KathyLauren

It depends on skin sensitivity and how big a zap you get.  Mature hairs take more juice than fresh ones. 

When I am finished an electrolysis appointment, my cheeks look like I have a bad case of acne.  My upper lip looks like someone whacked me there.  My neck and chin look like I have a rash.  The redness is gone by the next day, and the swelling goes down after a day or two.

I am retired so I don't have to worry about work, but I do sometimes have fire department practise on the evenings of my electrolysis days.  I just explained that I wouldn't look my best sometimes, when I first came out to them.
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

Colleen_definitely

If you do it on a lunch break, it's probably going to be noticeable after you come back.  Doing it after work would be better, or on a Friday evening (or whichever day starts your weekend) would be better yet.

I swelled up pretty badly for the first few hours after a session but it would typically go away overnight.
As our ashes turn to dust, we shine like stars...
  •  

GingerVicki

•  

CindyLouFromCO

Like others have said, it depends on how much you have done and your skins sensitivity.

You could try a 30 minute session on a Friday and see how your skin reacts. 
I've taken what others have offered, so now I'm giving back.
  •  

GingerVicki

I should have done mine on an off day. That day at work I outted myself by accident! The good thing is that I met some very attractive ladies the following day. I would have never suspected.
  •  

Jaime320

Give it a try after work first. YMMV. anti inflammatory 30 min before 1 hr session, & iced immediately afterwards. Results in no Swelling or redness for a few hours. What does occur goes away by morning, or looks like an ingrown worst case.

Not sure what all you've changed since starting HRT, but adding visible signs of beard removal could cause things to add up.
  •  

sarahc

As others said, it depends on your individual sensitivity.

The one tip I'd give is to tell your electrologist to not focus on one particular spot and instead zap a little all over your face. For me at least, that minimizes the stress that any one area gets, and since because you won't have shaved, the electrolysis should be pretty well hidden.
----
Known that I am trans since...forever.
First therapy session / decided to transition / hair removal: October 2018
HRT: January 2019 (journal https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,244009.0.html)
Hope to go full-time: July / August 2019
FFS / SRS: 2020
  •  

ChrissyRyan

Quote from: sarahc on January 28, 2019, 08:02:31 PM
As others said, it depends on your individual sensitivity.

The one tip I'd give is to tell your electrologist to not focus on one particular spot and instead zap a little all over your face. For me at least, that minimizes the stress that any one area gets, and since because you won't have shaved, the electrolysis should be pretty well hidden.

That makes a lot of good sense Sarah.   :)

Chrissy
Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding. Accepting yourself as the woman you are is very liberating.
Never underestimate the appreciation and respect of authenticity.  Be brave, be strong.  Try a little kindness.  I am a brown eyed brunette. 
  •  

Jaime320

Or tell them get what laser won't. After you finish laser you may find you're down to a clearing in 2 hours.
  •  

Emma1017

Thanks for all of this information and help.

It's funny, I am more worried about electrolysis than any of the surgery.  The surgery is one and done.  Electrolysis is death by a thousand knives.

My beard is starting to go gray so Laser seems to have had limited effect.  The only benefit to the gray is that it doesn't show up under makeup.

When I go shopping for an electrolysis shop what should I look for?  New York has a lot of choices but that could be dangerous too. 

I am still very stealth at this point and will be until at least September.  I was planning to increase my Estradiol from 0.1 to 0.2 today when I meet with my endocrinologist today.  My goal is to keep going but not show a large chest before the summer.

Warm regards,

Emma
  •  

Colleen_definitely

Electro is definitely more taxing than surgery recovery.  There's always that little voice at the back of your head saying "Just say STOP you fool!  You can end the pain now!" when getting electro, with surgery you're just sort of stuck there and make the best of it.  That and I found surgery recovery to be less painful.
  •  

Emma1017

Hi Colleen,

You mentioned that you did the one day in Chicago.  It really appeals to me.  How many times did you need to go?

I really wish there was a one day electrolysis in NYC.

Thanks,

Emma
  •  

Jaime320

Quote from: Emma1017 on January 29, 2019, 07:52:08 AM
Hi Colleen,

You mentioned that you did the one day in Chicago.  It really appeals to me.  How many times did you need to go?

Thanks,

Emma

While I'm not Colleen. I've seen the folks in Chicago. 3-4 "clearings" with dualing shock therapists. 1st clearing is an 8 hr day in chair for 2 days, & may result in 40% reduction. Second clearing 1 day. Third is maintenance if needed at a few hours.

I'm going to another shop that's more community friendly.  they do full clearings also, but don't market it.
  •  

Colleen_definitely

Quote from: Emma1017 on January 29, 2019, 07:52:08 AM
Hi Colleen,

Thanks,

Emma

I went three times but that was to prep for my bottom end remodel.  Face would probably need about the same number of treatments and you'd likely a few touchup sessions afterward.  Facial hair is tenacious.

If you can afford it, the sedated bulk electro is definitely the way to go.  But of course having to fly there, grab a hotel the night before and possible the night after, and then flying home adds to an already expensive procedure.

Denise mentioned another provider there who charges less for the same sort of treatment.  I really wish I had heard about that before.
  •  

Emma1017

Hi Jaime:  Did you do all three treatments in Chicago?  What did you mean by "more community friendly"?

Colleen:  Denise who?

I really wish there was someone in NYC.
  •  

CindyLouFromCO

Quote from: Colleen_definitely on January 29, 2019, 09:20:07 AM
I went three times but that was to prep for my bottom end remodel.  Face would probably need about the same number of treatments and you'd likely a few touchup sessions afterward.  Facial hair is tenacious.

If you can afford it, the sedated bulk electro is definitely the way to go.  But of course having to fly there, grab a hotel the night before and possible the night after, and then flying home adds to an already expensive procedure.

Denise mentioned another provider there who charges less for the same sort of treatment.  I really wish I had heard about that before.

I went there four times for a complete clearing.  The first time was like 14 hours, the next time was 9, then 6, then 3 hours.  Each time with two technicians.

After that you finish up with your local Electrolysis.

They use the blend method.  So the regrowth is more than the thermal method.  However I can see why since they are doing an entire clearing of the face.

It's worth it if you want to get facial hair free in two years.

The shots in the face are the horrible!  But worth it.  You will not want to go out in public for a week afterwards.  Especially three to four days afterwards.

The bonus is that Dr. Zukawski will give you a free FFS consultation.
  •  

CindyLouFromCO

Quote from: Emma1017 on January 29, 2019, 09:42:36 AM
Hi Jaime:  Did you do all three treatments in Chicago?  What did you mean by "more community friendly"?

I really wish there was someone in NYC.

The other one that does this is in Dallas Texas.  They are called Electrolysis 2000 or 3000.  Just google Dallas Electrolysis 3000 or 2000.
  •  

Colleen_definitely

Quote from: Emma1017 on January 29, 2019, 09:42:36 AM

She mentions it here https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,235494.20.html

I didn't find precision to be unfriendly to trans folks at all but I may have just gotten lucky I suppose.  I found everyone there to be really nice, respectful, and accommodating.
  •  

CindyLouFromCO

This was me before having it done in Chicago in early 2017.  This was my second clearing.

And here is a close up of my face a few days after having a full second clearing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  •