News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Transgender themed songs?

Started by NightAngel, December 03, 2012, 09:20:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Devlyn

Quote from: Renee on April 21, 2013, 05:24:27 PM
That is not a great song unless you're wanting to harass someone(ie a nice trans woman trying to do her job) at their workplace over the phone. I'll not understand what anyone in the trans community remotely likes about that song.

I shoulda knowed it was you!
  •  

Renee

•  

kariann330

Uuuhhhhhhhhhh i don't know of any myself....i mostly listen to Coal Chamber, Slipknot, 40 Below Summer, Soil, and other nu metal bands.....ssssooooooooo if anyone knows of any i may like let me know lol.
I need a hero to save me now, i need a hero to save my life, a hero will save me just in time!!

"Don't bother running from a sniper, you will just die tired and sweaty"

Longest shot 2500yards, Savage 110BA 338 Lapua magnum, 15X scope, 10X magnifier. Bipod.
  •  

funnys

Couple new ones!

Katy Perry - One Of The Boys

Neko Case - Man

•  

Sara Murphy

This one will be up to your own interpretation based on the song, but the video does lean a certain way.

"What God doesn't give to you, you've got to go and get for yourself."

"The worst thing one can do is not to try, to be aware of what one wants and not give in to it, to spend years in silent hurt wondering if something could have materialized - and never knowing" - David Viscott
  •  

Bobbi

"If you bring forth what is within you, what you bring forth will save you.
If you do not bring forth what is within you, what you do not bring forth will destroy you."
  •  

JennyH

Goldfrapp recently put out a new album called Tales of Us. This song Annabel is about a young boy dealing with being trans and different. Warning this video may make you cry.
  •  

nonameyet

their singer just came out recently. if you look at the track listing, a few of them are  blatently about his experiences with being a trans woman.

edit:
dammit. this was supposed to be quoting the post about Against Me!

anyway. still applies
Just delete my profile. im done with this site.
  •  

Bobbi

Wow - thanks for posting those lyrics, Emily!  There also really resonated with me.

Love & hugs - Bobbi
"If you bring forth what is within you, what you bring forth will save you.
If you do not bring forth what is within you, what you do not bring forth will destroy you."
  •  

JamieFidler

Quote from: NightAngel on December 03, 2012, 09:20:30 PM
Hi everyone,  :icon_wave:

Transgender themed songs?

I'd like to hear more songs with transgender themes, or that even just mention it in passing.

It's not easy finding any songs related to this theme, at least from the classic song catalogs.

Help me find some, please.

:icon_hug: Michelle  :icon_hug:

I couldn't find anyone mentioning 'We Exist' by Arcade Fire.

The video is awesome too, oh and that's Andrew Garfield, the current Spiderman.
  •  

allisonsteph

Quote from: Jamie D on December 03, 2012, 10:24:01 PM
"Lola" by the Kinks

Have you ever heard The Kinks' live album "One From the Road"? I was at the show where they recorded "Lola". Whenever the crowd sings La la la Lola I get a smile on my face and think "hey my voice is in there". :)
In Ardua Tendit (She attempts difficult things)
  •  

Jessica-Louise

I love this song. It's kind of serene and angry at the same time. Parts of it just break me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KNDXQUJ9BI&feature=kp

Lyrics & analysis:

http://alpentine.com/songs/i-am-not-afraid

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us. ~ Bukowski
  •  

androgynouspainter26

I know some of these have already been mentioned, but I just had to post them here!

I Fell In Love With a Dead Boy, by Antony and the Johnsons-it's somewhat vague, but I always interpreted it as the thoughts of a woman who has fallen in love with a man who is becoming a woman.  It's a heartbreaking piece. 

Picture of A Man by Our Lady J-Great description of what being a trans* woman feels like in a male dominated world. 

Prince Johnny by St. Vincent-She said herself it was written about a self destructive friend, and going by the lyrics alone I'm almost certain that he was trans...it's a beautiful song.

And I know this isn't a trans song per se, but the video is fantastic.  Also, for some reason people thought that Annie Lennox was a "male transvestite"; that always makes me laugh, but I can sort of see it.  When I saw this though, I knew I wanted to BE Annie Lennox-she transcends gender so effortlessly, it's inspiring.

My gender problem isn't half as bad as society's.  Although mine is still pretty bad.
  •  

Ravensong

I actually started a Spotify playlist for songs that have meaning to me in transition.  A lot of the songs on there came from this thread, but the first three I put on. 
Shinedown- Second Chance
Idina Menziel, Kristen Chenowith, Wicked-Defying Gravity
Idina Menziel, Frozen- Let It Go

These three songs pretty much tell me it's time to be myself, that I can't stop hiding who I am anymore.
"You may be whatever you resolve to be."   -Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson
  •  

Sophie_85

Has anyone said Mansun - Being A Girl yet?

I used to wright the words of this song all over my notebooks when I was a teenager. It was the first time I had ever heard a song that I could directly relate too. It's also quite punchy which, in a way, kinda go's with the whole frustrated, bitter, angry and cheated feelings one gets with  when going threw puberty in the wrong gender.
  •  

Allyda

Quote from: Renee on April 21, 2013, 05:24:27 PM
That is not a great song unless you're wanting to harass someone(ie a nice trans woman trying to do her job) at their workplace over the phone. I'll not understand what anyone in the trans community remotely likes about that song.
I have to agree. Actually it's contradictive as traswomen aren't dudes!, we're women. I really don't see where this song fits into the community at all unless it's held as a 'tongue in cheek' type of thing, and even then many might find it insulting. Just my $.02.

Allie :icon_flower:
Allyda
Full Time August 2009
HRT Dec 27 2013
VFS [ ? ]
FFS [ ? ]
SRS Spring 2015

•  

Miss_Bungle1991

Quote from: Allyda on July 16, 2014, 07:49:30 PM
I have to agree. Actually it's contradictive as traswomen aren't dudes!, we're women. I really don't see where this song fits into the community at all unless it's held as a 'tongue in cheek' type of thing, and even then many might find it insulting. Just my $.02.

I would be more insulted by the fact that it's just an Areosmith song. :icon_blah:

This is the perfect trans theme song. (Since it's written by a transchick...even though it was written before she came out.) When you read the lyrics, it's even more appropriate. Although it's a bit twisted in a way. But it IS Grindcore, after all.

•  

Allyda

Quote from: Bobbi on January 12, 2014, 03:02:46 PM
My favorite - nakes me cry every time...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9GhaCdLtd4

Love & hugs - Bobbi
I balled my eyes out. This video hits home. Especially the mirror scenes.

Allie :icon_flower:
Allyda
Full Time August 2009
HRT Dec 27 2013
VFS [ ? ]
FFS [ ? ]
SRS Spring 2015

•