Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Transgender themed songs?

Started by NightAngel, December 03, 2012, 09:20:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EllieM

Long John Baldry - A Thrill's a Thrill

•  

Lizzeh

Quote from: Laura Squirrel on July 16, 2014, 08:06:07 PM
I would be more insulted by the fact that it's just an Areosmith song. :icon_blah:

This is the perfect trans theme song. (Since it's written by a transchick...even though it was written before she came out.) When you read the lyrics, it's even more appropriate. Although it's a bit twisted in a way. But it IS Grindcore, after all.

I cannot begin to express how happy finding a grindcore song on this list made me feel. Thank you for sharing!!!
  •  

skin

"Choosing to be true to one's self — despite challenges that may come with the journey — is an integral part of realizing not just one's own potential, but of realizing the true nature of our collective human spirit. This spirit is what makes us who we are, and by following that spirit as it manifests outwardly, and inwardly, you are benefiting us all." -Andrew WK
  •  

Evienne

I'm probably one of the very few to think of Weird Al's "Truck Drivin' Song" I remember years ago when I bought this album, and listening to it in the car when this song came on my dad said something like "you can think of these people as either a guy who is very creepy or a girl with a very low voice." Not sure if that's an insult or what, but here's the song:
I hereby sign this message to the understanding that it is what I said. You, the viewer, thus adhere to the adhering of this message to have been adhered.

Ticking Time bomb: 533 days
  •  

Evienne

i've only heard this song  once before, so must have missed it, but at the end of Monty Python's "Lumberjack Song" there's a transgender spot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sD9_TLRPtNI&index=3&list=PLF1835CF82E575773
I hereby sign this message to the understanding that it is what I said. You, the viewer, thus adhere to the adhering of this message to have been adhered.

•  

Ravensong

I forgot about the Lumberjack Song!  It's been so long since I've heard it, lol.  I love It!!!!!  I am totally adding it to my transition playlist on spotify if they have it!
"You may be whatever you resolve to be."   -Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson
  •  

Evienne

Quote from: Ravensong on July 25, 2014, 07:39:45 PM
I forgot about the Lumberjack Song!  It's been so long since I've heard it, lol.  I love It!!!!!  I am totally adding it to my transition playlist on spotify if they have it!
Then I guess it's a good thing weird al released a new album, and due to not being able to get to best buy to get it, buying it on amazon, which sent me an email recommending other things as this album being one of them, as me being a python fan, as me looking it up on youtube, to hear it, and know of this topic to post it onto this topic, for you to see it, for you to be happy!

•  

Miss_Bungle1991

Quote from: Lizzeh on July 25, 2014, 12:21:58 AM
I cannot begin to express how happy finding a grindcore song on this list made me feel. Thank you for sharing!!!

No problem. It seemed like an obvious choice.
  •  

- Rachel -

Don't overlook My First Xmas as a Woman by The Vandals

"Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself." -- Robert Frost
  •  

- Rachel -

The Vaccines - I Wish I Was a Girl   

"Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself." -- Robert Frost
  •  

Jill F

Seriously? Nobody had mentioned "Sweet Transvestite" from The Rocky Horror Picture Show!

I think I saw that movie 50 times before I even turned 18.  Maybe I was trying to tell myself something?
  •  

Jessica-Louise

Quote from: androgynouspainter26 on July 16, 2014, 01:33:29 AM

I Fell In Love With a Dead Boy, by Antony and the Johnsons-it's somewhat vague, but I always interpreted it as the thoughts of a woman who has fallen in love with a man who is becoming a woman.  It's a heartbreaking piece. 

I really enjoyed that. Thanks for sharing.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us. ~ Bukowski
  •  

androgynouspainter26

Quote from: Jessica-Louise on November 06, 2014, 07:06:08 PM
I really enjoyed that. Thanks for sharing.

Awww, thanks!  If you don't know their work already, you must absolutely check them out.  It's hands down the best trans-centric music I've ever found...
My gender problem isn't half as bad as society's.  Although mine is still pretty bad.
  •  

angie

true trans soul rebel, gender dysphoria blues,  against me
:icon_chick:
  •  

Jessica-Louise

I find the meaning and imagery of this song really beautiful. I love Hedwig's fantastical depiction of what love is.

Quote from: androgynouspainter26 on November 06, 2014, 07:20:20 PM
Awww, thanks!  If you don't know their work already, you must absolutely check them out.  It's hands down the best trans-centric music I've ever found...

I've only heard the occasional song by them but I'll check out an album soon.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us. ~ Bukowski
  •  

Newgirl Dani

Quote from: Eleanor on December 04, 2012, 10:03:38 AM
Perhaps not a very famous one, but Josephine by Terrorvision, a fairly minor English band from the 90s, comes to mind. I always thought it was super-catchy growing up without really understanding or thinking about the lyrics. I listened to it again for the first time in ages recently only to realise that... um... it's about a guy meeting someone he used to know under the name of Joe, finding that she is now Josephine, a trans woman, and falling for her. :D

I had a friend called Joe,
When friends were hard to find.
He had a restless soul,
And something on his mind.

One day I went away,
And then returned to the scene,
Not to find restless Joe, no,
But to find Josephine.

I asked her what her name was
She said Joe had left the city
She said... They call me Josephine.
Josephine. Josephine.

It took a while to click,
But then I got the gist.
The girl by my side (by my side),
Was the guy I've missed (was the guy I've missed).

I took her for a beer,
To talk about old times,
Just to find the beer, dear,
Was now a sweet white wine.

She said they call me Josephine.
Josephine. Josephine. Josephine.

So we talked all night,
And I just can't pretend,
Although I lost old Joe, yo,
I got a new girlfriend (I got a new girlfriend).

She said they call me Josephine.

Also, while it's hard to argue that it's not more about defying gender expectations and being yourself than it is actively identifying as the opposite gender given the subject matter of the story, I always thought Reflection from Disney's Mulan was kind of an unofficial trans anthem in its lyrics.

Look at me.
I will never pass for a perfect bride,
or a perfect daughter.
Can it be I'm not meant to play this part?

Now I see
that if I were truly to be myself.
I would break my family's heart.

Who is that girl I see staring straight back at me?
Why is my reflection someone I don't know?
Somehow I cannot hide who I am though I've tried.
When will my reflection show who I am inside?

Thanks for this song 'reflection'.  I now know there is at least one song that works, reading most of these are just depressing for me.  I was around when these original songs like Lola came out (really, no pun intended here  :) ) and while yeah I have to say it is good that it brings the transgender issue to light, there is a side to it that I do not like.  When these mainstream songs 'automatatically' makes that link in hetrosexual minds that transgender is synonymous with gay (mtf only means sexually desiring men), it underlines with an ink that is almost impossible to erase.  Not to say that any one shade of our community is less important than any other (the poll here proves that) its just that most of the public will never know because they do not see these threads just hear the songs.  Dani
  •  

Christine Eryn

I recently discovered this disco classic and I must say I am influenced and energized by it! It's full of nonstop LGBT. It makes me feel like running into the street in a dress and stylish, yet sensible heels and dancing...

:icon_dance:  :icon_geekdance:  :icon_pelvic_thrust2:

Sylvester - You Make Me Feel (Mighty Real)
"There was a sculptor, and he found this stone, a special stone. He dragged it home and he worked on it for months, until he finally finished. When he was ready he showed it to his friends and they said he had created a great statue. And the sculptor said he hadn't created anything, the statue was always there, he just cleared away the small peices." Rambo III
  •  

Alex Eli

Im Not A Girl Not Yet A Woman

looool i know its not, but i think its very funny if you have transgender in mind and singing it.

and my reflection by xtina aswell.

mele

I am really surprised nobody has posted this song yet. This song really made me take note of being trans !!

Placebo - Nancy Boy
  •  

Teela Renee

RedNeck girls have all the fun 8)
  •