News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

How long on hormones before any FFS

Started by Willowitch, January 04, 2008, 03:56:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willowitch

Hi

I understand that it is better to have been on hormones for a good while before considering FFS but how long? Do hormones really make that much difference to the face. I am thinking that nose jobs are ok to go ahead with since that's mainly a bone thing.

BB

Willow
  •  

IsabelleStPierre

Greetings,

Here is what it says in the SOC about this surgery:

Other surgeries that may be performed to assist feminization include: reduction thyroid chondroplasty, suction-assisted lipoplasty of the waist, rhinoplasty, facial bone reduction, face-lift, and blephoroplasty. These do not require letters of recommendation from mental health professionals as does genital reconstruction therapy.

I have seen a wide variance in the amounts of time between different people who are on HRT and their FSS (if they choose to get it at all). I know some who won't go full-time until they've had FFS, other's only after being on HRT for a while. It's more a matter of how masculine one's face looks before hand, so each person really needs to decide what is right for themselves.

The thing about HRT is that it will not affect your bone structure if your bones are already fused...something that happens in the teen years; HRT does change the fat distribution of one's face and does make one's face look more feminine. The affects of HRT can and often do vary widely from one person to the next; genetics seem to play a large part in just how sensitive a persons body is to HRT.

Just be aware of the sticker shock with FFS, plan on a minimum of $20,000 and a lot of people spend more...$25,000 isn't uncommon...

Peace and love,
Isabelle St-Pierre
  •  

lisagurl

It is cheaper and better to do everything at once. Two years will give a good indicator of what hormones will do for your face. The younger the better. Breasts can and curves can take 5 years and do better after SRS.
  •  

SusanK

I think the normal recommendation is 18-24 months minimum depending on your hrt regime and age so your face has had the time to adjust (as by my physician), but you might talk with your physician, if they have experience with transpeople. I agree, all at once is the best, but if you don't have that kind of money $~20K US without major bone work and upwards if bonework, but piecemeal may work if it fits your long range budget easier. It doesn't hurt to do some homework with some trans-experience ffs surgeons for better information who might provide the procedures that can be done without waiting and helps your appearance for living, eg. trachea shave, nose job. Some post-op transwomen have done this to get by and then opted for more complete ffs later in life.

Good luck.

--Susan--
  •  

seldom

I was priced at under $15 k by Leis.  Part of the very high cost of FFS is the perception (but not reality) that FFS can only be done by the big three (O, Z, Spiegel).  The truth is even if you stay in the US the price drops considerably if you realize these are not the only doctors who can do this surgery, and they some highly qualified and experienced doctors who are considerably cheaper.  Me Choosing Leis over Spiegel is going to save me thousands of dollars.  Ironically Leis has more experience then Spiegel, but he does not market himself the same way.
I am giving HRT 15-18 Months. 
The thing is if you need bone work there is no escaping it and it does not matter when you go.  If your nose, forehead or jawline need to change...they still need to change.
  •  

Willowitch

I certainly can't afford to have it done in the UK, so was considering going to Thailand for all my surgeries. They do package deals there and have a good reputation.

http://www.chet-plasticsurgery.com/price.html

Even so, I do agree that it would be better to wait and get it all done at once. I wonder how much you could reasonably do in one sitting(lying down of course).

BB

Willow
  •  

seldom

I HIGHLY suggest you check out Dr. Leis.  Those prices for Dr. Chet are considerably higher then what I was told by Dr. Leis.  Save for a rhinoplasty, Leis is cheaper every procedure.  In fact Dr. Chet is not that much cheaper then Spiegel.  It also seems to be he is adding on cost for scalp advance and brow lift, which neither Leis nor Spiegel do.  I will PM you with information.  He is in Philly. 
  •  

Maud

I'd give it at least 18 months, I've been on 'mones 16 months now and my face is still changing.
  •  

Willowitch

Hiya

Thanks for the advice and information. I will wait and see how things develop though I think I may still go for a nose job and face lift. At 47 I'm veginning to droop a little.

BB

Willow
  •  

deniz

Quote from: Willowitch on January 06, 2008, 03:19:12 AM
Hiya

Thanks for the advice and information. I will wait and see how things develop though I think I may still go for a nose job and face lift. At 47 I'm veginning to droop a little.

Well, i will tell you a few things based on my experience. Of course i am much younger than you.On the other hand you look fantastic no matter how old you are.In the photo you look pretty feminime. When i started hormones i was saving money for FFS because going stealth was the only option for me. However 16-20 months later, MIRACLE. people started asking if i had plastic surgery . Look what happened.During taking hormones i lost lots of weight, so my face looked smaller. On the other hand the fat distribution changed in my face and my cheeks looked fatter and round.As a result my nose looked very small. My hair became very thick because of hormones, as a result the forehead (with a nice haircut-bangs) looked as if it was of a natal woman.HORMONES WORKED FOR ME!!!!.

Wait 2 years with a FULL hormone regimen.Talk to your doctor.Then if you still feel uncomfortable go for it.However, in yor shoes i would have the srs first.You are more than passable:)

•  

Berliegh

Quote from: Willowitch on January 04, 2008, 03:56:51 PM
Hi

I understand that it is better to have been on hormones for a good while before considering FFS but how long? Do hormones really make that much difference to the face. I am thinking that nose jobs are ok to go ahead with since that's mainly a bone thing.

BB

Willow

To be honest they don't, unless you are about 12 and haven't yet matured into an adult. In some cases they might help with a little more fat in the face and give a more softening appearance, but hormones will not change what someone looks like or their bone structure.
  •  

MeghanAndrews

I'm going to have mine almost at the 12 month mark. I'm 38 and going FT right after FFS. That will be in September probably, but could be anywhere from August - October. I will be done with electro, speech therapy by the time I get FFS and go full time :) Meghan
  •  

Keira

The nose won't change no matter how long you do HRT, so that's the one you can safely do (and I did). The brow bossing, becomes less noticeable with facial fats and if your younger (when your older, because of gravity and creasing above them, they are more visible).

If you've got substantial eyelid ptosis (droopy eyelids) and the brow bossing shelf comes well above the eye (usually defined as type III, but even other types could be that way even with type I-II if your brow bossing is very close to the eye (my case)), no amount of HRT will change anything, because the soft tissue is loose and even if you get fat underneath, it won't pull it back. In this case, doing it right away.

I did mine, brow bossing and nose, at around 6 months and its turned out very fine as you
can see on my avatar.

•  

Berliegh

Quote from: MeghanAndrews on January 06, 2008, 09:17:28 AM
I'm going to have mine almost at the 12 month mark. I'm 38 and going FT right after FFS. That will be in September probably, but could be anywhere from August - October. I will be done with electro, speech therapy by the time I get FFS and go full time :) Meghan

In the U.K we wouldn't be able to get a referral for FFS before RLE which in a way is right. As you should be able to live a RLE before FFS....
  •  

Keira

Why would you need a referral for FFS?
No surgeon asks for it that I know of.
At most, they'll talk
to you a sec to see if your a raving lunatic.
If all UK surgeons balks (doubtfull),
just go the Netherlands, belgium, Germany, Ireland, whatever.

•  

Butterfly

All the mones in the world didn't do anything to my face.  FFS was the answer for me.
  •  

MeghanAndrews

Quote from: Berliegh on January 06, 2008, 09:39:05 PM

In the U.K we wouldn't be able to get a referral for FFS before RLE which in a way is right. As you should be able to live a RLE before FFS....

Wow Burleigh, thanks, I appreciate that. So I should be able to live RLE before FFS, care to explain? I COULD go for a few years RLE without FFS, but why would I if I didn't have to? To make myself go through some hardships so I can feel somehow better about transition? I'm feeling good about my transition. I have many real life friends who have done it the same way I'm doing it and they are doing fine right now.

I'm not trying to take anything away from the UK health system at all because there's a lot to admire about it. But, I (and this could just be me, who knows, maybe I am insane for thinking this) am grateful that I'm able to follow SOC and get things done at the pace I feel comfortable with, which is slow and methodical. Some people feel more comfortable getting FFS before FT and I'm one of those people. That's just me though. I respect the fact that your opinion differs from mine Burleigh, but really, who are we kidding here? I'm excited about my FFS, could go full time today if I wanted to, I'm out to EVERYONE that I care about, friends, work, family etc. I'm 100% comfortable with what I'm doing. FFS will help me live the life I want to lead. That's just me, again. Just opinions, we all have them. Just don't forget that, ok? Meghan
  •  

seldom

This is completely off base as many people cannot go RLE with HRT and FFS.  England has a messed up system that is more harmful then helpful to trans people to begin with, and you are a victim of these insane requirements, like RLE for HRT which are done more to keep people from transitioning and cause more harm then is helpful.

Taking how essential FFS for many to pass, requiring a RLE is insane.  FFS is pretty easy to schedule.  You call a doctor, set up a consultation, set up an appointment for surgery.  You can get it any time.  No requirements, as it should be. 
  •  

Berliegh

Quote from: Amy T. on January 07, 2008, 11:13:52 PM

This is completely off base as many people cannot go RLE with HRT and FFS.  England has a messed up system that is more harmful then helpful to trans people to begin with, and you are a victim of these insane requirements, like RLE for HRT which are done more to keep people from transitioning and cause more harm then is helpful.

Taking how essential FFS for many to pass, requiring a RLE is insane.  FFS is pretty easy to schedule.  You call a doctor, set up a consultation, set up an appointment for surgery.  You can get it any time.  No requirements, as it should be. 

I totally agree Amy. In England the NHS do expect some kind of consistant RLE before they will consider prescribing HRT. Which is why I went private in 2003 in order to start on hormones. The NHS gender clinic system also forbid and discard FFS as a treatment even though it's in the HBSOC. Most of (if not all) our treatment in the U.K is only accessed through private treatment (especially FFS and breast augmentation) and the NHS only seem to work in a 'mental health' and 'psychiatric' capacity. Patients are humiliated and made to feel like they are worthless and some even attempt suicide because they have no access to treatment.

The English NHS system for treating transsexuals has a terrible reputation and many of us have long campaigned to the medical unions, Healthcare Commission and govenment for vast changes in the system.
  •  

Rachael

Quote from: Berliegh on January 06, 2008, 08:11:41 AM

To be honest they don't, unless you are about 12 and haven't yet matured into an adult. In some cases they might help with a little more fat in the face and give a more softening appearance, but hormones will not change what someone looks like or their bone structure.
You seem to constnatly push this attitude, but i could post now a pre shot and a post shot of me... only one year of hrt... and i dont even look like my own sister now... im 20 years old... not 12... hrt CAN do a lot, or it can do nothing, genetics play a big role.
then again, not being stick thin also helps... so many transwomen become model thin, and wonder why they dont develop curves, or breasts, or have much facial change...
R >:D
  •