Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

ZERO/ SHALLOW DEPTH VAGINOPLASTY (VULVOPLASTY) QUESTION

Started by Ejo, December 04, 2018, 07:02:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ejo

During my recent consultation with my surgeon I was offered an option between a zero depth vaginoplasty (vulvoplasty) and a standard vaginoplasty with a canal. I was wondering if anyone could shed light on the recovery time for a vulvoplasty? I am lesbian and not into penises or attracted to men, but I am still debating my decision in case I find a partner that would be interested in penetrating me, perhaps with a douple dildo or strap on, but at the same time, I don't really want to go through the lifetime maintenance required by a vaginoplasty. I' have had an orchiectomy already. Any information anyone could give me regarding their experience would be much appreciated. Thank you :)
"The secret of contentment is knowing how to enjoy what you have, and to be able to lose all desire for things beyond your reach."
  •  

LizK

Hi Ejo

I have just had to make that decision, my reasons are different but certainly I considered recovery. In the end I decided On full depth...if I don't want to maintain my vaginal canal I dont have to but if I felt incomplete or unhappy without depth there is nothing I can do about it.  Talking with many of the girls prior to surgery and they all said in the end dialation was not a deal breaker for them

Good luck with your decision

Liz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Transition Begun 25 September 2015
HRT since 17 May 2016,
Fulltime from 8 March 2017,
GCS 4 December 2018
Voice Surgery 01 February 2019
  •  

KathyLauren

I don't have any experience (yet) with the zero-depth procedure.  I am told that the recovery time is shorter, and of course less followup maintenance is required.

I talked to my therapist at some length about this decision.  (Spoiler alert: I am going to go for the zero-depth procedure.)  I had some of the same concerns as you do.  What if I meet some nice woman who wants to play with a dildo?

In my case, it was a hypothetical question, since I am happily married.  But supposing I was looking for a new partner... 

My therapist's answer was that, no matter who that hypothetical partner was, I was going to have to do some explaining no matter which procedure I had.  And that partner would have to accept several non-standard features about me, such as deep voice, broad shoulders, etc.  So explaining a zero-depth vagina is just one more thing.  A partner has to accept me the way I am, oddities and all.

I liked the way she explained that, and it set my mind at ease about the "what-if"s.
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

KimOct

Quote from: LizK on December 04, 2018, 07:36:33 PM
Hi Ejo

I have just had to make that decision, my reasons are different but certainly I considered recovery. In the end I decided On full depth...if I don't want to maintain my vaginal canal I dont have to but if I felt incomplete or unhappy without depth there is nothing I can do about it.  Talking with many of the girls prior to surgery and they all said in the end dialation was not a deal breaker for them

Good luck with your decision

Liz

Someone else that just had a zero depth vaginoplasty told me that creating a vaginal canal later is an option.  Her zero depth procedure was just a month ago.

I have not looked into this much yet but I am curious because at this stage I have only had an orchiectomy.  Due to heart problems and other issues I am thinking this surgery might be a better option for me.
The first transphobe you have to conquer is yourself
  •  

LizK

I did know that it could be done after but was not sure what the issues(if any) were around having it done as another procedure. I guess if you are still unsure then that is the perfect solution.  I don't think there is any right answer except what works for you.

HRT since 17 May 2016,
GCS 4 December 2018
  •  

Linde

I plan to also go the zero depth (or minimal depth) route.  The procedure is way more simple, and, very  important, shorter.  This puts less burden on ones body.  Furthermore, there will no cavity created in a normal sterile part of the body, which reduces the chances for an infection dramatically (I am specialized in pre- and post operative infection control & prevention), and the healing is shorter, too. 
I do not ever plan to have my body penetrated by any object (either a  human penis or some artificial copy of one), and a vaginal cavity is just not required for my well being.
02/22/2019 bi-lateral orchiectomy

•  

Dorit

I have spent the last year researching this very issue, along with email discussions with six different GRS surgeons in Thailand, Israel, and the US.   I have also communicated directly with three other trans women who have recently had this type of GRS.  I myself also decided to go with the partial or no depth vaginoplasty last August, my surgery is next week in the US on December 14.   For me this was a compromise decision.  Because of my age, I understood that this type of GRS is easier on the body, less chance for complications, and shorter recovery time.   Also, I currently have no need for penetrative sex as my lifetime partner is female.  However, she is much older than I am and has some serious aging issues.   I felt that after GRS I needed to be completely free to devote myself to her needs and not be caught up in a long recovery and regular dilation.   However, in the future I would possibly be  open to a relationship with a man and would enjoy the experience of penetrative sex.   Yes, it is possible to do a full vaginoplasty after a partial, but obviously the material has to come from somewhere else than the traditional penile inversion technique.   The one option today is a sigmoid colon vagina, the other which is still very new and is rarely done, is a peritoneum skin source.  This would of course involve another major surgery with all the risks that were previously avoided.
  •  

New Girl Tiff

Sorry for posting so late on this topic. I just saw the post and replies.

I am having Zero-Depth Vaginoplasty / Vulvoplasty on February 4th (2 1/2 weeks away). I have a pre-op appointment tomorrow to discuss details with my surgeon.

I chose this procedure over full depth because of my age, sexual orientation, and medical history.

I've found it next to impossible to find detailed information about recovery for zero-depth but will gladly share my experience as I take this path.

<3 Tiff
  •  

KathyLauren

Thanks for posting, Tiff.  I will look forward to hearing about your results.  My procedure is not likely to be until the end of this year at the earliest, so having advance information will be helpful.
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

Linde

Quote from: New Girl Tiff on January 16, 2019, 03:34:25 PM
Sorry for posting so late on this topic. I just saw the post and replies.

I am having Zero-Depth Vaginoplasty / Vulvoplasty on February 4th (2 1/2 weeks away). I have a pre-op appointment tomorrow to discuss details with my surgeon.

I chose this procedure over full depth because of my age, sexual orientation, and medical history.

I've found it next to impossible to find detailed information about recovery for zero-depth but will gladly share my experience as I take this path.

<3 Tiff
Thank you.  I am planning to have the same done for the same reasons as you do, for the case I have any bottom surgery at all.

•  

Dorit

I thought that I would add to this thread as someone who is recovering from a modified vaginoplasty.  I am about five weeks post op.   I have found my recovery emotionally and physically very difficult, much more than I expected.  I still find it painful to sit for more than one half hour unless I take pain medication, my swelling has gone down, but is still there, and I am still dealing with the need to regularly place gauze and antibiotic cream in my vagina to assist healing.  Even though I do not have to dilate, I still have maintenance procedures that I have to perform a number of times daily because of minor complications.  On the positive side I am healing and feel that the worst is certainly behind me.

I realize that this is my experience, I am a highly emotional, somewhat hysterical woman.  However, I never had a moment of regret, just dismay.   I have no idea if my recovery would have been more difficult with a full vaginoplasty.  Nevertheless, the results are awesome and I am so grateful I had the determination and courage to do it.   
  •  

Linde

Quote from: Dorit on January 21, 2019, 04:42:00 AM
I am so grateful I had the determination and courage to do it.
And I admire you for this.  I still don't know whether I can justify the cost/benefit package for this surgery, considering my age.
I would not be concerned about any possible infections during healing, because it is my profession to prevent them, or eliminate them very early in the process.  It just is an absolute cost question for me at this time of my life!

•  

dentifrice

I am considering the option at the moment with a lot of interest.

Fantasy-me is quite thinking about penetration. But in my actual physical life I am not that sexually active.
I am not really thrilled about life-long dilatation procedures. I fear the post-op complications as I am doing a lot of sport. And because I am afraid of the months of recovery.
Nonetheless, social life and shared space would be less stressful and will trigger less dysphorie with a SRS.

So maybe shallow depth vaginoplasty is for me a good option.

I would be interested in information about feelings afterward and recovery time =)
Cheers,
Aux sombres héros de l'amer
Qui ont su traverser les océans du vide
:eusa_boohoo:
  •  

mm

dentifrice, just remember at the time you have srs is the best time to get a full depth vagina, so be sure you will never ever want one.
  •  

dentifrice

I don't really take the "be 100% sure" it made me wait 20 yrs to start HRT. It was perfectionism.

I am thinking about SRS for very long time but I am not sure I want to live with a canal that I must dilate forever and maybe not use that often - while I am lesbian mostly asexual. My fear of pain hold me back for so long... maybe is time for compromising.
Because while I think about SRS, I live with my penis and have T-blocker to drink every day.

I am not saying that I have my mind made. I am considering full depth as well. But I also understand that no one is 100% sure of anything and I accept to live with the fact that I might fail sometime. I hope failures make me understand myself better and improve for next time.  :angel:
Aux sombres héros de l'amer
Qui ont su traverser les océans du vide
:eusa_boohoo:
  •  

LizK

Hi Dentrice

It is such a big decision and one I have had to recently had to make. Being about 70 days post op I can tell you from my perspective that the surgery and recovery was far less painful that I thought it would be. After day 2 post op I took only Panadol for a few more days and then by the time I was discharged on day 7 I had minimal/no pain. When nerves reconnect it is not uncommon to get shooting pains but these were brief.

In the end I decided that I would have full depth surgery and if the dilation became too much I would always just stop. In the end I find the dilation times quite a nice way to have time to just lie back and chill. The actual act of dilation is pretty low key and not the hassle I once thought it would be. Yes there are times when it can get in the way of what I am doing but I am down to 2 times a day already and it won't be long until its once a day and then once a week.

I am sure you will reach a decision when you are ready.

Liz   
HRT since 17 May 2016,
GCS 4 December 2018
  •  

Nina

While we're on the topic, I'm wondering something.
I had GCS over 4 years ago with Dr. Brassard.
I have maintained dilation since day 1.

In a little over 40 days, I'll be on a 4-6 month hike of the Appalachian Trail. 75% of the time will be spent sleeping in a tent, but every 7-10 days I had planned to get off trail, get a motel room and dilate.
My question is this: What if I didn't take my dilators? Not only are they heavy, inconvenient to carry, but being by myself for these months, can I get away without dilating?

Thanks so much
2007/8 - name change, tracheal shave, electrolysis, therapy
2008 - full time
2014 - GCS Dr. Brassard; remarried
2018 (January)  - hubby and I moved off-grid
2019 - plan originally was to hike PCT in 2020, but now attempting Appalachian Trail - start date April 3.
  •  

Anne Blake

I just found this thread and thought that I might put my two cents in.

Nina, I do not have any experience in the area you are asking but have heard from several girls on Susan's that they have at times gone long time between dilations (one poster even mentioned years) and just needed extra time and effort to regain their full depth. Perhaps they may post soon. Your mileage will definitely vary.

I chose to have a shallow or cosmetic procedure done almost a year and a half ago and I have been very happy with the choice and the outcome. Our primary reason for this choice was not desiring penetrative sex and the simplicity of no dilation, age also played a factor. The healing time was similar as most of the healing was dealing with swelling and the incisions which are very similar between procedures. I did not have to deal with granulation which simplified things even more. No dilation has been a big thing for me/us. We travel a lot and not having to find time and space for the regular maintenance has been great. All that said, if the choice had been just for me and not with my partner I would have chosen a full depth procedure. No regrets but alone I would have gone down the other path.

Please PM me if you have any specific queries,
Tia Anne
  •  

mm

Nina, how often are you dilating now? You might try not dilating for 2 week now before go leave and see how it goes then.  You have about 6 weeks to do a experimenting as to how tight you are after various times. 
  •  

Nina

Quote from: mm on February 14, 2019, 04:22:27 PM
Nina, how often are you dilating now? You might try not dilating for 2 week now before go leave and see how it goes then.  You have about 6 weeks to do a experimenting as to how tight you are after various times.
I dilate about every 10 days or so. Do I have depth that I had say 3 years ago? No. Maybe 80%.
How awesome it would be, and one less thing to worry about while hiking. Problem of having to carry gel, dilators...then the cost of a motel every 10 days.
2007/8 - name change, tracheal shave, electrolysis, therapy
2008 - full time
2014 - GCS Dr. Brassard; remarried
2018 (January)  - hubby and I moved off-grid
2019 - plan originally was to hike PCT in 2020, but now attempting Appalachian Trail - start date April 3.
  •