News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

so what actually is age appropiate.

Started by stephaniec, June 08, 2016, 11:11:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roses and Songs

Quote from: alex82 on June 10, 2016, 10:43:20 AM
That's exactly it Rose - you take care of your appearance. If the hair is good, the make up is excellent, the accessories aren't cheap, and your weight is in check, then you have much more scope to have at it in other areas.

Age yes - it is how you feel, and your attitude. It is also an arbitrary measure imposed by - not someone else - but simply by time. Wouldn't we all love to turn the clock back - on so many things, so many decisions! You can't. Forward is the only way, and time clocks up behind it.

I must say that this is not a very pleasant reply Alex, tell me about you and I'll be interested but I don't need anyone to tell me about me, I already know that. Cheers, Rose.
  •  

alex82

Quote from: Roses and Songs on June 10, 2016, 11:26:59 AM
   I must say that this is not a very pleasant reply Alex, tell me about you and I'll be interested but I don't need anyone to tell me about me, I already know that. Cheers, Rose.

I'm sorry you feel that way. I wasn't telling you about you. I'm sorry you feel it was unpleasant and aimed at you, when it was complementing you on what you'd said about yourself. You said you took good care of your appearance - I simply said great, good example. And time is time - unfortunately, sadly you can't fight a calendar or a clock.
  •  

Roses and Songs

Quote from: alex82 on June 10, 2016, 11:30:58 AM
I'm sorry you feel that way. I wasn't telling you about you. I'm sorry you feel it was unpleasant and aimed at you, when it was complementing you on what you'd said about yourself.

Ok, I might have said it wrong. So, what do you wear and why, and do you care about 'appropriate' or about what others might think of you, etc... I'd very much like to know what you think about all these things, that's what I meant.
  •  

alex82

Quote from: Roses and Songs on June 10, 2016, 11:39:12 AM
Ok, I might have said it wrong. So, what do you wear and why, and do you care about 'appropriate' or about what others might think of you, etc... I'd very much like to know what you think about all these things, that's what I meant.

Oh ok. No problem

What do I wear? In terms of 'age appropriateness' - I'm 33, just to put that in first.

Today I wore old white Converse high tops, slim grey TopShop jeans with a brown leather belt - the buckle of which is a gold Roman centurions head (I love it - I got it at a market in Rome), and a white shirt with the buttons undone to just above chest.

I had a meeting a few days ago, to which i wore a black Versace blazer (with the old style gold Medusa head buttons), a black shirt undone, black Givenchy skinny jeans (bought at a massive discount) - rolled above the ankle, and black matt leather Jimmy Choo stilettos - the 'Anouk' model. My mother gave me a bag she'd had before I was born - black leather shopper style, Gucci. Good leather gets better. And not just with bags, with humans as well.

Both times I wore my mothers gold signet ring on the little finger of my left hand - as always, a gold watch - as always, and my grandmothers wedding and engagement rings - so a gold band, and a ring with three large diamonds. And small thick gold hoop earrings. With full eye make up, primer, foundation, blusher, and vaseline on lips.

I like slim jeans - if I was larger than a UK size 10 (which I think is a US 6 or 8.), I'd reconsider, or diet. I'm 5ft10, so the shoes take me above 6ft2 - and I kind of enjoy that. Do I care what people think? Yes, always have. Are there things I would love to wear but don't because I don't think it's appropriate? Yes, very short skirts. I'm not a teenager, so I can't do that whole micro-mini, opaque black tights, and doc-martins thing.
  •  

Roses and Songs

Nice, you seem to be a very classy woman, I kinda lean towards that too but also a little on the romantic peace and love 70's style (long skirts, loose tops, flowing long hair with flowers in them, patchouli, etc... ha ha). I'm 58 so I turned 18 in 1976 and I loved the way girls looked back then, the whole feeling of the era in fact, the music too (I'm a 70's classics singer) so I think I'm still a little stuck back there, style wise. So, the day's fashions do not really interest me and neither do pants, (I gave them all away, for good), I can now look like those beautiful girls I envied for 50 years, a little bit of this, a little bit of that taken from between 50 years ago and yesterday but rules are left out the door for me, I am different in more than one way, (!) and I'm proud of it so I like to show it off a little. I was starved of all femininity for 50 years, now let my thirst be quenched, for ever.

Take good care Alex, Rose.
  •  

alex82

Quote from: Roses and Songs on June 10, 2016, 12:20:46 PM
   Nice, you seem to be a very classy woman, I kinda lean towards that too but also a little on the romantic peace and love 70's style (long skirts, loose tops, flowing long hair with flowers in them, patchouli, etc... ha ha). I'm 58 so I turned 18 in 1976 and I loved the way girls looked back then, the whole feeling of the era in fact, the music too (I'm a 70's classics singer) so I think I'm still a little stuck back there, style wise. So, the day's fashions do not really interest me and neither do pants, (I gave them all away, for good), I can now look like those beautiful girls I envied for 50 years, a little bit of this, a little bit of that taken from between 50 years ago and yesterday but rules are left out the door for me, I am different in more than one way, (!) and I'm proud of it so I like to show it off a little. I was starved of all femininity for 50 years, now let my thirst be quenched, for ever.

Take good care Alex, Rose.

Thanks.

Love that patchouli. Perfume is my thing. I switch a lot - I've collected for years, so currently I go between Hermes 'Caleche', Creed 'Millesime Imperial', Chanel No.5, Robert Piguet 'Visa', De Rosine 'Majalis' - that's what's on the dressing table. I have several more on the bathroom shelves waiting their turn/season change, including a couple of male ones that I just really like.

Exactly - enjoy yourself. That's a timeless style - and so many women from that generation still wear it and still look great, they've grown with it. That whole romantic thing looks wonderful with the long skirts and the patterns - and very forgiving too - no sharp lines to show you up. Love to you!
  •  

Eva Marie

Quote from: RobynD on June 08, 2016, 11:23:44 AM
I would describe my style as "soccer mom". I wear jeans and wedges, jeans and sandals, jeans and boots in the summer. My tops are usually lands end, LL bean, or maybe on the "wild" side, some peasant top.

Same here with a touch of hippie/bohemian thrown in for good measure.

There are SO many variables to this question and I think very few absolutes. To me the bottom line is how much attention do you want to attract to yourself? The more skin you show or the more outlandish your outfit is the more attention you are going to get. Mini skirts, fishnets, cleavage, and stripper heels will get noticed whereas a casual or work related style probably will not be.

I'm 53 and i'm perfectly comfortable in skinny jeans, a nice top and some heels for being out and about or for work. For club nights the short skirt, fishnets, and low cut top come out. My girlfriend prefers conservative dresses, always, in any circumstance.

Wear what you want to - you've earned that right  :)

•  

stephaniec

I just can't help it , I'm a dress person. I'm wearing more leggings now since it's warm. In winter I'll wear skinny jeans.
  •  

Roses and Songs

Quote from: alex82 on June 10, 2016, 12:27:12 PM
Thanks.

Love that patchouli. Perfume is my thing. I switch a lot - I've collected for years, so currently I go between Hermes 'Caleche', Creed 'Millesime Imperial', Chanel No.5, Robert Piguet 'Visa', De Rosine 'Majalis' - that's what's on the dressing table. I have several more on the bathroom shelves waiting their turn/season change, including a couple of male ones that I just really like.

Exactly - enjoy yourself. That's a timeless style - and so many women from that generation still wear it and still look great, they've grown with it. That whole romantic thing looks wonderful with the long skirts and the patterns - and very forgiving too - no sharp lines to show you up. Love to you!

Oh, I love perfumes too but I don't know most of those you named, maybe I'm not knowledgeable enough or they're not available here in Canada, I don't know. I have a huge problem though, I use White Diamonds, Channel no5, Obsession, Ming Shu, some arab stuff my sister brought me back from Dubai and a few locals as well. During the long and cold winters I have a black turtle neck sweater that I really really love, I wear it all the time (see me coming?) so the damn thing is impregnated with a mix of all the perfumes I wear and it smells like heaven, seriously, I never encountered anything like that sooo, what do I do, try a mix of my own? Maybe but these things are quite expensive, I'm a bit scared of wasting some of those precious juices... Anyway, I have 5 or 6 months to think about it so we'll see. Peace, happiness and pretty smells. Rose.
  •  

Cindi Jones

I think you should wear whatever you like. Whatever floats your boat. Whatever people appreciate or despise.

I don't think that age appropriate fits anymore. I see older women wearing kids stuff and kids wearing... well whatever they wear.

Me? I wear simple things that I think work for me. I'm pretty conservative. I love to get dressed up and go out.. . but that hasn't happened for many years.
Author of Squirrel Cage
  •  

stephaniec

I guess a lot of it for me is the fact it took so damn long for me to be proper that I still have a lot of dresses to go through.
  •  

Roses and Songs

And anyway, what does appropriate mean: conform to a certain set of arbitrary rules set by concensus within a certain group or society. CONFORMITY? Ahhhh, save me!
  •  

alex82

Quote from: Roses and Songs on June 10, 2016, 01:50:02 PM
Oh, I love perfumes too but I don't know most of those you named, maybe I'm not knowledgeable enough or they're not available here in Canada, I don't know. I have a huge problem though, I use White Diamonds, Channel no5, Obsession, Ming Shu, some arab stuff my sister brought me back from Dubai and a few locals as well. During the long and cold winters I have a black turtle neck sweater that I really really love, I wear it all the time (see me coming?) so the damn thing is impregnated with a mix of all the perfumes I wear and it smells like heaven, seriously, I never encountered anything like that sooo, what do I do, try a mix of my own? Maybe but these things are quite expensive, I'm a bit scared of wasting some of those precious juices... Anyway, I have 5 or 6 months to think about it so we'll see. Peace, happiness and pretty smells. Rose.

I have that same thing! I love when you pull on a sweater or a scarf that you haven't worn in a while and get a hit of a mix of stuff. And I love black polo neck jumpers. You can't go wrong with one can you?

I really recommend Creed 'millesime imperial' - it's like being transported to heaven. Sometimes I just take the cap off and sniff.

Whenever I smell opium by ysl, I'm taken back to my childhood and can see my mother back in her thirties, getting done for a night out, spraying that all over the place, using those big flat combs to make her hair bigger and higher - it was the 80s.

Perfume is such an amazing thing with so much emotion packed into it.

It is very expensive to have your own made. But you're 58, so you'll have a brilliant excuse in two birthdays time to really splash out and say to friends 'that's what I want, don't buy me anything else'.
  •  

stephaniec

Quote from: Roses and Songs on June 10, 2016, 02:22:34 PM
   And anyway, what does appropriate mean: conform to a certain set of arbitrary rules set by concensus within a certain group or society. CONFORMITY? Ahhhh, save me!
ditto
  •  

Roses and Songs

ALEX! All I could find in Montreal is Creed 'White Flowers', and it's 939$ CAN, about 450 pounds, you can't be serious, THAT is out of the question for me and/or any friends I would have when I reach 60 and anyway, I'm not sure I want people to know when I do, I'm a woman now and women don't have to tell their age (or they can lie about it I am told, hi hi) so... I think I'll think about it! Cheers friend, Rose.
  •  

alex82

Quote from: Roses and Songs on June 10, 2016, 03:21:59 PM
ALEX! All I could find in Montreal is Creed 'White Flowers', and it's 939$ CAN, about 450 pounds, you can't be serious, THAT is out of the question for me and/or any friends I would have when I reach 60 and anyway, I'm not sure I want people to know when I do, I'm a woman now and women don't have to tell their age (or they can lie about it I am told, hi hi) so... I think I'll think about it! Cheers friend, Rose.

I was serious yes.

Surely much better to say 'I'm *real age*' and people genuinely go 'No way', than 'I'm *false age*' and people go 'Yeah, I thought you were around that'.

Well, whatever makes you happy. I don't know many/any women who are coy about age, (the opposite if anything - it's a mark of how much life you've chalked up, and if you don't look it, so much the better - maybe Canada is different) but if you want to be - go for it and be happy.
  •  

Quote from: stephaniec on June 10, 2016, 01:47:38 PM
In winter I'll wear skinny jeans.

...and everyone on this board will applaud you. :-\

I'll be terse:

You made a thread before discussing how uncomfortable you were when all those people were staring at you, yet you insist on wearing clothes that are not suited for your age and body type (this is called HONESTY people, I'm not being a B).

You either live out your missing teenage girly years well into your 60's and get stared at, or you try to blend in better.  You can't have it both ways, I'm sorry.

The one thing I do agree with everyone here is that, yes, you can wear whatever you like.  Just don't be surprised when you are stared at, okay?

•  

alex82

Quote from: Ⓥ on June 10, 2016, 03:35:49 PM
...and everyone on this board will applaud you. :-\

I'll be terse:

You made a thread before discussing how uncomfortable you were when all those people were staring at you, yet you insist on wearing clothes that are not suited for your age and body type (this is called HONESTY people, I'm not being a B).

You either live out your missing teenage girly years well into your 60's and get stared at, or you try to blend in better.  You can't have it both ways, I'm sorry.

The one thing I do agree with everyone here is that, yes, you can wear whatever you like.  Just don't be surprised when you are stared at, okay?

No, you're not being a B at all.
  •  

RobynD

Agreed. The same is true whenever you step outside of cultural norms. When i was young and identified as a feminine guy, my hair was long and colored deep auburn some of the time, purple much of the time for a few years. Radically colored hair while existing at that time, was far less common then it is today.

I still managed to work and socialize and i loved how it looked. I knew the economy of what i was doing though, and i got many many looks and comments of all sorts. Interestingly Mohawks were a lot more common that my color style back then and they seemed to draw fewer notices.

•  

stephaniec

I like skinny jeans , but I prefer dresses.
  •